Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Best HT orange, apricot, yellow blends

zaphod42
10 years ago

Interested in adding an orange/apricot/yellow colored blend. Mainly been looking at Rogue Valley as I'll be ordering from them and would like to make it to four. Primarily looking at HTs (though not exclusively). Wondering about how those listed below perform? Not worried about hardiness as I plan to keep in pots and overwinter in garage.

Tamora
Just Joey
Royal Dane
Belle Epoque
Angele Pernet
Honeysweet

How are they for repeat, black spot, and performance in pots? Any others that you think should be considered? Thanks!

Comments (15)

• Jim_in_AV
    10 years ago

Well, I'm in the desert and Just Joey does beautifully here. Your actual mileage may vary but I think you'll love this rose.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I'm not fond of Royal Dane because of the orange (very pretty) that fades to a blotchy pink. I detest that fade more than anything. It also gets blackspot - and that's rare here.

I grow all of my roses in pots too, and Just Joey survives in the attached, insulated garage here just fine. Its just gone through it's 2nd summer - so far no smell. But it's really pretty.

Have fun selecting!
    Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Just Joey was a gorgeous bloom but the plant was not at all vigorous and it was winter tender as well.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

I've tried all the roses you mention except for Honeysweet, and by far the most robust and floriforous for me has been Tamora. It blooms off and on all summer with an average rest, and is completely hardy in my zone 4 pocket of my yard (which gives you an option if you don't want to do pots for that one). I don't find it's very apricot in my yard though, even in afternoon shade. It's more of a peachy-pink, and fairly pale at that.

I've had a challenge getting any of the others to establish in my yard, much less survive the winters, though the best of the bunch was Just Joey. I'll be trying that one again in a better spot this spring - in my zone 6 pocket with protection, but I appreciate the warning from Seil that that may still not be enough. With Just Joey the fragrance alone would make it worth one more try.

I really want Belle Epoque to work in the garden because of the color mix that sounds like more what you're looking for, so I'll be trying that one again. Royal Dane is on its second try and faded its first summer on its own roots. Both seem to have a more intriguing blend of colors, but you do have to watch mutability like Carol says. Angele Pernet isn't remotely hardy for me, and seemed wimpy as a plant even trying to get established. I think all three of those were from Rogue Valley, and good plants at the outset, I just don't think they're particularly robust growers on their own roots. Royal Dane did the best when I grew it grafted from Pickering, and even then it croaked in the winter.

Let us know what you decide!
    Cynthia

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I second what Nippstress said about Tamora, a lovely rose I also grow, but not in a pot. She has a nice compact growth habit (about 3'X3' or a little bigger--which is small in my garden). She produces lovely blooms all season, but does have nasty thorns. Have you considered the floribunda, Easy Does It, a nonstop bloomer? Another alternative to Just Joey is Abbaye de Cluny, a Romantica, which is big and vigorous for me, but in your climate might be fine in a pot. It doesn't have much of a scent. Both these roses are grafted. Tamora, from Pickering is on multiflora, and Abbaye is on Dr Huey. Diane

• zjw727
    10 years ago

Just Joey is a star performer in my garden. The flowers are enormous and it always wants to push out a new flush. It's also quite vigorous here, and the bronze/purple new growth is really pretty.

Rogue Valley also has "Halloween", a rose I haven't grown but one which definitely intrigues me. The attached picture is HT "Break o' Day' which I got from Rogue Valley, gorgeous tea-scented blooms, not sure about hardiness in your zone 5....

Zachary

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.167006

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I only have old HTs, and Sutter's Gold (Swim, 1950) is my favorite, mostly because in addition to beautiful blooms it has magnificent fragrance. I grow mine in a large pot. I don't spray, and as you can see, it is pretty clean.

Jackie

• zjw727
    10 years ago

Jackie, your Sutter's Gold is so beautiful! The scent is really incredible.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

Tahitian Sunset is very healthy and a vigorous grower.

• predfern
    10 years ago

Honeysweet blooms her heart out for me. Not much fragrance though. Color looks like an explosion in a lipstick factory.

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    10 years ago

predfern - How is BS resistance on Honeysweet? Do you spray? Planted in ground or pot?

Break o' Day might be an idea as it is a Brownell Sub-Zero it might be a better bet for overwintering in a pot. Just Joey is so pretty though...

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

I have Honeysweet own root 2G purchased earlier summer. Very healthy! I love the "explosion in a lipstick factory". Perfect description!
    Jean Harrison's garden on HMF inspired my scheme...
    Comtesse du Cayla, Prairie Dawn, Honeysweet, Perle D'or..apricots/pinks/pale yellows
    Very nice. (and healthy)
    Susan

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

I said Prairie Dawn but it's Prairie Sunrise, a Buck shrub. Just a real keeper...
    Susan

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

I revived this because I was just outside cutting a gorgeous bloom from Voodoo to bring in the house, and thinking about how much I appreciate that rose...
    It has a very leafy-shrubby habit for a HT, and is a bloom machine, at least for me. It gets a little PM but no BS/cercospora/anything else, however I'm 20 minutes from the water so roses have to be genetic freaks to NOT get PM here.

It has a great fragrance and vase life too...if you haven't thought of it, I'd highly recommend it.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I adore my Honeysweet. Most unusual color, no blackspot for me, blooms lots. Its a Buck rose and tough. One of my favorite apricots is the Austin Carding Mill. I understand Chamblees will be carrying that soon own root - I plan to get several. I adore Fragrant Apricot [Roses Unlimited]. I had Belle Epoque a while back but wasn't that crazy about the color. When it died, I wasn't interested in replacing it, but that was just my opinion - you might love it. I adore apricots and love the pure, clear color such as Carding Mill, Tamora, Just Joey. If I ever ran across a good plant of Just Joey I would get it - have seen photos of huge blooms, but understand the bush is gangly. The blooms would make up for it........

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia