Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellfleur

Barden roses: Siren's Keep, Treasure Trail, Mel's Heritage

shellfleur
10 years ago

I am excited to have just ordered these three from Rogue Valley. They will arrive next week as bands. My plans for them when they are bigger are for Mel's Heritage to cover an arch, Treasure Trail to be planted in a pot and Sirens Keep to go in the ground. On the website, they look beautiful. If anyone has any experience with them, please share. Thank you, Shelley

Comments (11)

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

None of the above, sorry...but my tiny Jeri Jennings had a bloom today and it's lovely, I'm so excited for it to grow...smells amazing. I bought my mom an Oshun and she's really happy with it so far.

I've really been eyeballing Pam's Choice. The photos on HMF are unbelievable.

Good luck!!!!

• shellfleur
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Racing Rose, I am excited for you as well, Jeri Jennings looks so beautiful. I agree with you that Pam's Choice looks great to try also. It's kind of fun trying roses that are more rare, though its harder to plan because you have less info about growth habit, etc. Oh well, keeping my fingers crossed for lots of beautiful blooms!

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

You're right, and there's so little information from the community because not many people grow them... so it's sort of a waiting game, I guess.

Yours are three varieties that I've been looking at a lot too... I sure hope they give you good results!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

The only one of these particular Barden roses you mention that I have is Siren's Keep (also from Rogue Valley). It has settled nicely into my yard and is putting down good roots and a nicely branched plant. I pinch off any blooms because in zone 5 I want to build as strong a root system as possible before winter (so I can't tell you much about the blooms), but I'm expecting this to be as strong and floriforous as my other Barden roses. You've picked some great roses from a great breeder and I'm sure they'll do well for you.

Cynthia

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

I'd really like to have this one, but I don't see it on Rogue Valley's site.

Dakota Redwing

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

Paul, you need to give '27-07-16' to RVR to release as well....PLEASE!!!!

Oh, and thank you for breeding 'Golden Buddha'. It came only this Spring, but is healthy and bushy and growing well -- which says a lot for here in central-coastal NJ without chemical intervention.

And when I finally allowed it to flower, I loved it! I wasn't sure if it'd be "too orange" for me, but it's a softer apricot shade that fades nicely (for me, anyway). And it smells the same -- just like apricots!

:-)

~Christopher

• shellfleur
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paul, "Dakota redwing" is absolutely stunning. I will be looking forward to its release. Thank you for all your work to breed such beautiful roses. Shelley

• shellfleur
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cynthia, thanks for the info on Siren's Keep. I'm glad yours is adjusting well to your yard. I know I'm pushing it by ordering bands in the fall but my plan is to pot them into 1 gallon containers and keep them in a sheltered spot this winter. Usually I plant bands directly into the ground. I've never lost a rose by doing this, even with the tiny bands. But that was in spring or early summer, not fall. So I will play it safe this time. Is it hard to pinch off the buds? I find it to be. Although I know it's for the greater good of the rose, I feel bad to deprive it from blooming. Silly, I suppose. I recently transplanted 6 roses and I have been pinching off the buds, but I really don't want to. :). Good luck with your roses, Shelley

• User
    10 years ago

"Paul, you need to give '27-07-16' to RVR to release as well....PLEASE!!!! "

I don't know where this plant is anymore - it may have been discarded already. IIRC it was a floppy shrub with an unattractive growth habit. I seem to remember it being stingy with repeat as well.

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Paul, thanks for the info!!! I love the rose for its color and unbelievable texture...it almost looks fuzzy, or like velvet. I like what you bring to the table with your roses. It's hard to put my finger on it, and I just realized that's the essential draw they have. "There's just something about it..."

Modern roses keep coming out with more unique colors, more perfect form, better resistance, etc...but somehow many of them still end up feeling generic. I like roses with personality, that generate a feeling or response...especially if it's mysterious.

Anyway...floppy roses with unattractive growth habits and stingy repeat never stopped D.A..... hehe >;^)