Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

Roses in vases

boncrow66
9 years ago

Some of you have posted some beautiful bouquets of roses and I was wondering what do you all put in the water if anything to keep your roses looking pretty? I can never get mine to last more than a few days. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Great question. I would love to know too. I don't put anything in mine and most last 3-4 days tops but there's a few roses that might last longer like Cream Veranda. My English roses last longer if picked in bud form if possible. Anxious to see what folks say!! Judy

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

There are some products out there to help extend vase life. Look at a nursery of florist shop. When I get bouquets at the market during the winter i never use the whole packet of floral stuff they give you so during the summer I usually add some of that and use it up when I cut roses. There are a number of home things you can use too. I've heard a drop of bleach or dish soap to kill bacteria, someplace I heard a teaspoon of sugar and another one was an aspirin. The best thing is to cut the stems under water on a slight slant so the bottom does not rest flat on the bottom of the vase. Recut the stems and change the water every day.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Seil, I appreciate your response. I have used the packets that come with flowers from the florist but was looking for a home remedy too. I have been researching and wanted to see if one particular thing worked better than others for people on the forum. I did read about the bleach and sugar and also sprite but the most interesting was adding vodka or any other clear liquor. Guess I could take a shot of tequilla and give the roses a shot too LOL! Just joking lol. Anyways thanks for the advice, hopefully next year I will have big huge bouquets to experiment with :).

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

My mom always used to put 7up or Sprite in the base of the Christmas tree holder to make it stay fresh longer. I investigated this old wives tale on google and what do you know, it's supposed to work! Unfortunately we don't have other around here so I haven't tried it. Do let me know if you give it a shot!

Nin

Here is a link that might be useful: Scientific American article bouquet freshness

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Bon. With a couple of shots you won't care what the roses look like. Lol

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bahaha.....so true Kippy! Plus I got to thinking about the saying "tequilla makes your clothes fall off" and hope it doesn't make the roses petals fall off too!!! I'm cracking myself up lol.

And no I haven't had a shot lol.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I used sugar before and our red Mr Lincoln bloom turned purple...lol

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Lemon-lime soda (NOT sugar free) works. The citric acid helps to keep the water clean, and the sugar provides nutrients. I use it when I don't have leftover floral preservative from the store (I only use half, like seil). 1/2 cup of soda to a quart of water. Or, you can mix 1/2 teaspoon of bleach and 1 teaspoon of sugar in a quart of water, and use this in your vase.

Other hints: remove any leaves that will be below the water line, as leaves decompose fast, and increase the bacteria in the water. Cut the stems under water; recut the stems under water after three days (or so).

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jim how funny, I bet your were suprised by that lol.
    Diane thanks for the tips. I will certainly try at least all of them to see what works best for me.
    And I guess no more jokes lol.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Harden off the roses in a bucket (kitty litter) of tap water with 1T bleach for 15 - 30 min. The water level should be below the bloom. Before I do that I cut each stem under water. I buy Chyrsalis packets from Rosemania to put in the vases.

• buford
    9 years ago

When I started showing, I realized that extending the life of blooms was important. Many exhibitors use Chrystal preservative (the packets you get with cut flowers) but there are other products out there. Miracle Gro makes a liquid that is specifically for cut flowers, you just put a few pumps in the water. When you cut the flowers and bring them inside, cut them again under warm or room temperature water (with conditioner added) and leave them for about an hour. You can then arrange them in another container. You can also put the arrangement in the fridge overnight if your house is warm (especially if you get cut flowers in the winter and you have the heat on). The blooms will last a lot longer this way.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Kippy and Bon y'all crack me up!! Great tips. I will try them too!!

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Buford and Kentuckyrose thanks for the tips! I'll check out the Miracle gro for sure too.