Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leezen4u

What are your best striped roses?

leezen4u
9 years ago

Oranges and Lemons has to be moved to another location this winter to make room for Aloha.

This post was edited by leezen4u on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 19:24

Comments (49)

• leezen4u
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Shadow Dancer has been blooming for the first time this year. She is less than a year old.

• leezen4u
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rock & Roll is probably our best striped flower.

• leezen4u
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone know where to buy Camille Pissarro? I checked HMF's 'buy from' and searched Hortico and no 'Rainbow Nation.'

Here is a link that might be useful: Help me find

• lala_e
    9 years ago

Red Intuition from my previous home, as seen in a birthday bouquet for a friend, with flowers in her favourite colours (the icebergs were from my neighbour).

{{gwi:329599}}

I keep a cutting garden & the Red Intuition was one of the longest lasting blooms on very long, elegant stems. It repeated well, despite being a young plant in a semi shaded spot. The subtlety of the stripes & the velvety texture never failed to take my breath away. The bush itself wasn't to my liking much as it's very upright, rather than bushy. However I enjoyed the flowers enough that I'm looking to replace it in my new garden.

I had & currently have Candy Stripe too. It's alright, but doesn't hold a candle to RI, in my opinion. My previous Candy Stripe was a very stingy bloomer, so I'm pampering this one to see if it will perform better.

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

Although this rose is registered as a miniature rose, there is not anything miniature about it except for its lineage.

Kim Rupert, bred by Ralph Moore.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• jerijen
    9 years ago

'Fourth of July,' -- hands-down. :-)

Jeri

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Since it is the only one I have that has bloomed, Purple Splash. And it is a great rose
    {{gwi:284308}}

• bayourose
    9 years ago

WOWZERS! let me pick my jaw up off the floor! these are all jawdropping roses! I am so impressed. Beth--you have such a wide variety of the stripes! is there one that is fairly easy to grow? I have tried purple tiger which never bloomed for me and scentimental's blooms blew fast and plus didn't like the heat. I would love to be able to grow a stripey but they have been difficult to grow. TIA--Shannon

• nastarana
    9 years ago

For us cold zoners, Palatine is offering the fabulous Red Intuition on multiflora this season. Run, don't walk.

An American breeder, about whom I know nothing, named Dave Bang, has some extraordinary striped roses photographed on HMF. Mr. Bang, if you are reading this, please, when are your creations going to be sold in the USA?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

'Red Intuition' has been really good here. 'Fourth Of July' even better.

'George Burns' has been easy here. He's prickly, tho.

• lala_e
    9 years ago

Lovely roses everyone, thank you for sharing the gorgeous pictures.

Beth, your stripeys are truly mesmerizing. If you don't mind, could you and those with experience growing them, please comment on the growth habits, scents (if any) & vase life of:

Stranger
    Simsalabim
    Rembrandt van R. &
    Marvelle?

Until your post, I did know about Stranger or Rembrandt. They look exquisite.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

What a fine collection of stripeys on this thread. Beth, of course, wins the prize for the most stripeys. I especially love Harry Wheatcroft, George Burns, and Rembrandt Van Ryn.

I only grow one--Red Intuition--so I guess that is my favorite. Got it on multiflora from Palatine a couple years ago. It is one of the best blooming HTs in my garden.

Red Intuition
    {{gwi:329644}}

Kate

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Kate - wow!!! That's a super beautiful Red Intuition flower!!!!! RI won King of Show at our local rose show. It's such a stunning rose!!

Beth - Of all your roses, I just adore Neil Diamond. I mean, come on, they're ALL fantastic - but I would really love to get Neil Diamond. I remember you said it has fantastic fragrance. I see that you have Broceliande. I'm getting that. Looks so pretty.

Love all these stripeys!! Here's some of mine.

Julio Iglesias

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Here's Rock & Roll.
    I'm just giving bush shots.
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Here's All American Magic.
    Of these three - Rock & Roll is the best!
    Carol

• kstrong
    9 years ago

Well, I don't think Mr. Bang reads this forum (as far as I know), but let me use this opportunity to whet your appetites for the next Cal Coastal Rose Auction. We will be offering one of Mr. Bang's new striped roses: Flash in the Night .

The auction will be in Carlsbad, California on the weekend of Nov. 15 and 16th this year. Come one, come all. Or, if you just can't get to California, we do take internet bids.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cal Coastal Rose Auction website

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

I have way more stripeys than what I posted here. Some didn't do that great this yr or didn't bloom at all. Been a weird yr.

Lala, STRANGER and SIMSALABIM are florist roses. You're not likely to find them anywhere commercially as plants. If you can find some stems at a florist, you can try to root them. I didn't root mine, tho. I actually purchased them from two different people who grew them. They do not propagate either of them at this time, as far as I know. STRANGER grows rather upright to about 4ft and has decent bloom and repeat. The blooms blow pretty fast tho, unfortunately. No scent. SIMSALABIM so far stays rather short, growing about 2.5ft high and wide. Blooms well and repeats decently. The blooms are actually rather small, almost miniature, but so interesting. REMBRANDT VAN RYN is a shrub rose and grows as such. Very tall and sprawly, arching canes with big clusters that repeat fairly well. No scent that I recollect. MARVELLE is the original name given a McGredy rose that J&P marketed as "TROPICAL SUNSET" and Canadian growers supposedly call it 'RAINBOW NIAGARA" however I have the rose called RAINBOW NIAGARA, and I'm not totally convinced they're the same rose. They are very similar, but grow differently and bloom differently. Both are great roses.

I have been in contact with Dave Bang the last couple of yrs. I encouraged him to market his roses, and allow me to "test" some of them. He very kindly has allowed me to do so, but I can't post pictures or list which ones, as some of them are being tested for marketting overseas. I wish he would find a source here to market them, and he may do so at some point I imagine. He has videos on YouTube showing how to propagate roses. And he is actually coming up to our local rose society, I believe next month at the rose show, to give a program on propagating cuttings. Should be interesting.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness!!! Flash in the Night is STUNNING!!! Drool. Drool.
    Carol

• lala_e
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the detailed information, Beth.

• Holly Kline
    9 years ago

Beth! I'm so envious I can't see straight! WOW.

My favorite right now is Hypnotized.

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

What wonderful stripey roses everyone has…no way I could pick a favorite picture! Many of these posted, I have never seen or heard about, but they are all beautiful. I only grow Scentimental, George Burns, Chihuly and Rock & Roll. Scentimential is, sentimentally :), my favorite, but George Burns is by far my best.

Scentimental

{{gwi:329645}}

George Burns

{{gwi:329646}}

• nastarana
    9 years ago

Thank you for the information about Mr . Bang's roses. Flash in the Night is gorgeous. I wonder if Palatine might be receptive to trying some of the Bang roses. That way we in cold zones might have a shot at keeping them alive.

• nastarana
    9 years ago

Kstrong, I read all through the list of roses which may be available for silent auction at your Cal Coastal Rose Auction. That is a list of some really excellent roses. Anyone who buys Ivory Triumph will not be disappointed. It Is relevant to the subject of this thread to mention that Stranger is also on the list.

I take it one can make internet bids on the silent auction roses but probably not on the live auction selections? As the date approaches, will there be instructions for internet bidding on the website?

• kstrong
    9 years ago

There will be bidding instructions on the website when we get a little closer. As you can see, we haven't quite got everything together yet -- some of the roses on the "silent" list are due to be moved to the "live" list, etc.

A Stranger will indeed be among the roses offered. That link is to my picture of it on HMF. It is still a fav of mine, and will likely go over to the "live" list.

BUT, be assured, you can internet bid on ALL roses offered, including the Live Auction roses. What we do is give your proxy to one of our members who is not bidding on roses on his/her own behalf, and tell them to bid in small increments as if it were there own money up to the limit set by the online bidder. We do this "proxy bidder" for both the live and the silent auctions, so no roses go for more than a dollar or two more than the next highest bidder -- you just have to be a little bit higher than the next highest to win in a real auction, after all. Online "not to exceed" maximum bids are due a day or two in advance from folks who cannot attend in person. This allows the on-line bidders to have a "voice" at the auction, and also is fun for the members who would not otherwise be bidding. We have noticed that oftentimes it is two on-line bidders who take the price up to whatever the price is to be.

And some people even set up their own proxies who keep a phone line open during the bidding, and do it that way. It can get wild. And then again, with the number of unknown roses we offer, anyone who has done their research can "bottom fish" and find the roses that are not attracting interest from anyone else. Many roses go at bargain prices. And we ship at cost and when you want it done, including the next spring (or at least we try to do it then).

Let me also say this. We make this a two day "destination event" just for the people who come in from far away, and we get quite a few takers on that. Hard to beat a SoCal beachie town in early November -- weather still great, and crowds of summer gone. Great for the family, and btw, there's also a rose auction (lol). The Saturday is spent in a full day seminar on rare roses, by the people who know them best -- I think we will have Keith Zary, Ping Lim and Cliff Orent giving the talks among others this year. And then Sunday is the actual auction -- silent in the morning, live in the afternoon.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 Live Auction Video

This post was edited by kstrong on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 17:19

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

I'm liking Kim Rupert, which is fairly new to me but bloomed like crazy this summer in gallon pots. So far it seems pretty healthy. My new Henri Matisse had beautiful huge blooms with good repeat. I love Wonderstripe because the background color is a soft candlelight and the striping is not harsh. Also love the bloom form. I like Strawberry Swirl's tiny blooms. They are dime sized or smaller. Here is a picture of it:

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

I like my op seedling of 4th of July, which is very double, is fragrant, and repeats well. I named it Fran's Pirouette after my mother:

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

Here's Wonderstripe with its soft colors:

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

I love Hurdy Gurdy and Alfred Sisley also. Oh, and Vick's Caprice. Alfred Sisley is a terrific bloomer, very healthy here and has good vigor:

• erasmus_gw
    9 years ago

Vick's Caprice is a good repeater, very fragrant, and is a pretty plant:

• margaretmerrill
    9 years ago

Is Rock and Roll more of a red or a pink? I am looking for a striped rose that will fit into a pink and white flower bed. Thanks.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

More red here in the cooler weather. My Julio Iglesias is more pink

• margaretmerrill
    9 years ago

Julio Iglesius is beautiful, but I counted him out because Help Me Find says zone 6b and warmer. But I see you live in Canada? I live in Zone 6b but try to find roses that are cold hardy down to zone 5. So Julio lives in a zone 3 A?

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Sorry to mislead you Margaretmerrill - all of my roses are in pots and overwinter in my garage.
    I'm not sure of Julio Iglesias' zone - but I do know that HelpmeFind is not very accurate with its cold hardiness ratings. If there are some roses that your really like, then start a new thread where you ask people in zone 5 if the rose is hardy for them. :)
    Carol

• lala_e
    9 years ago

Does anyone have experience growing Crazy Spire / MACcastlet?

• leezen4u
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rock & Roll is more red than pink

• leezen4u
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All American magic goes through some really neat color changes. First it has a bright yellow center

• leezen4u
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Then she starts to change to a darkish pink

• leezen4u
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally turning completely pink. This is a good cut flower that lasts 5 or more days

• leezen4u
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lasts well on the bush

• Holly Kline
    9 years ago

Also having a good time with Wonderstripe, though I think it'll be even better next year.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Wonderstripe is sooooo pretty!!! Love your photo!!!
    Wow!!
    Carol

• Jordan Gauthier
    7 years ago

Where can i get some stripeys? Im in southern california and really want to grow some of these. Really. Really bad. Thank you

• fragrancenutter
    7 years ago

I I only have one- red intuition, but I would really love a Neil diamond if it becomes available here.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    7 years ago

Jordan, 'Neil Diamond' and 'Rock and Roll' should be available locally as they are fairly recent. Chihuly is also a possibility. For others you may have to do mail order. use the "buy from" tab at: helpmefind fourth of july

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    7 years ago

I have only one striped rose so far, so it is also my favorite :D I am feeling very enabled looking at all these beautiful stripeys! I love how each bloom is differently colored.

Raspberry Cream Twirl-its a climber

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Burlington Roses has Shadow Dancer, a striped climber by Ralph Moore. She also has Flamingo Dancer, similarly beautiful, but a lighter pink. Here's Shadow Dancer in a vase.

Gigi is a miniature rose I purchased from Trader Joe's, but you can also find it at other stores that carry grocery store minis.

Peppermint Kisses is from For Love of Roses.

I'm looking forward to seeing Alakazam, a yellow and red striped miniflora rose available at For Love of Roses. I have no room for more, but my friend ordered two, so I can enjoy seeing them in her garden.

• Rachel Cross- Harder
    7 years ago

Frangrancenutter, where r u located?? In zone 10??

• fragrancenutter
    7 years ago

I am in Western Australia, far far away from everything and everyone else!