Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooks23_gw

green witches broom? RDD?

Brooks23
10 years ago

Hi, I am back again for help. I just noticed this rose had some unusual growth and it looks like a green witches broom. Is that RRD? I thought it would be red? Not sure what I have but it does not look good. It is just one branch of the bush.
Thanks, Brooks23

Comments (7)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

If you (or a neighbor) has been spraying a herbicide (like Round-up), it could be damage from that--in which case it will outgrow it if it didn't get damaged too badly.

However, to me, it looks like RRD--and no, there is no requirement that the foliage must turn red. It often does, but that is only one symptom. RRD can have many symptoms--ugly witch's broom is what I look for when I'm considering a RRD diagnosis and I think your rose qualifies--unless someone has been spraying herbicide somewhere around there (it can blow in on a breeze, so it doesn't have to be in the immediate vicinity of the rose).

Kate

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kate, Thanks for the information. I guess I will be digging up another rose tomorrow. :-( I did not realize the witches broom could be another color than red. Now I will double check all my roses tomorrow.
    Brooks23

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

But do check with your neighbors and if anybody around there has lawn service, check with them to see if they sprayed a herbicide recently. Lawn services often do that as a standard part of their services. If it is herbicide damage, water it a lot and wait to see if it comes out of it.

If it is RRD, I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I feel so awful when it happens in my own yard as well as anyone else's.

Kate

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think it could be herbicide damage and hate to take the chance of waiting to see because of the other roses in my yard.I will give it an extra good look tomorrow.
    This is like the 6th rose I have dug up this summer. Bummer.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

RRD growth on some varieties is green. Here's an odd case: RRD growth on 'Kronprinzessin Viktoria' (a white rose) is light green, while RRD growth on KpV's sport 'Mystic Beauty' (a blush pink rose with slightly darker foliage) is dark purple.

That doesn't rule out herbicide damage, though.

• Brooks23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

michaelg Thanks for the information. I am sure learning a lot.

While I am on the subject of RRD how are people cleaning their pruners? I don't want to spread the disease.
    Brooks23

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

michaelg those are interesting examples of something. The question is of what. i.e. were both/either of those examples of possible RRV infection confirmed by the RRV molecular test?