Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

Cornelia new growth possible RRD

Hello to all. This is my first season with Cornelia so I have no idea what new growth is supposed to look like. Most of it on the bush is similar to this but not as "bushy" and not as "thick". If you grow Cornelia, does this look normal to you?
Groan�I didn't think my battle with RRD would start so soon.
see how deep beet red the canes are?
{{gwi:329687}}
leaves look odd to me
{{gwi:329688}}
undersides
{{gwi:329689}}
no hyper thorniness. none at all.
thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Susan

Comments (5)

• buford
    9 years ago

new growth is usually red, more so on some roses. I have one rose that I cut back and it's all maroon leaves, normal for that rose. I don't see anything in those pictures that says RRD. But keep watching it.

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

I've grown Cornelia, but I don't recall that reddish a color, especially when it's still the heat of summer.

Things that bother me:
    that Cornelia is a hybrid musk and a lot of folks have had RRD problems on hybrid musks before other roses in their gardens have the problem (like a two year lead).
    that there's a mottle/mosaic distortion in color on some leaves.
    that the new leaves have a really short intermodal distance.
    There's one large leaf that seems to have epinastic leaf distortion (bent over backwards).
    That there are so many reddish leaves and a slowness to turn red-green and eventually green.

If it were mine: here are two things I'd check and be unsentimental about:
    are the margins of the newest leaves "normal" or are they getting ragged?
    What do the stipules look like at the bases of those leaves?
    Reason esp. for the stipules is that they on multiflora kin roses (which includes all the early Hybrid Musks of which Cornelia is one) go totally aberrant and excessive fringed when RRD is a full on problem.

Let us know what you see on those last two questions.

Ann

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok Ann, I took some photos. Trust me, I am unsentimental about thisâ¦.I've also included some odd growth on William Allen Richardson. They are nowhere near each other.
    BUT something I realized and it may not matter at all: both these odd growth areas were hidden in total shade until I moved a plastic pot and cut away some salviaâ¦
    You asked about the leaf margins here is a photo. They don't seem ragged to me but they are pretty new.
    {{gwi:329690}}
    Here is a photo of the stipules. They seem normal to me?
    {{gwi:329691}}
    Here is the new growth on William Allen Richardson that looked odd:
    {{gwi:329692}}

Now I am totally paranoid and it seems like EVERY rose has RRDâ¦.
    Susan

• Kippy
    9 years ago

That William Allen Richardson looks pretty iffy to me, but what do I know since it is not here.

My roses in too much shade get leggy looking for sun.

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

Susan,
    That WAR looks bad to me; it's almost a duplicate of when my Peter Beales version of Parks Yellow Tea Scented China which got sick and then got much sicker faster than any other rose I've seen. I really hate that both sides of your stem broke; the upper side should always be the one to put out lateral growth, the undersides generally don't. Also I really don't like that the new growth is circular (as in one side is growing faster than the other.) If WAR were mine, that cane, all of that cane, would be gone tomorrow. And I'd watch where it was pruned off like a hawk.

On Cornelia, compare the time that reddish growth takes to turn green with any other new growth on that rose. The margins look a little too smooth (which is ok), and the stipules aren't exuberant. I don't like the discoloration on the leaves, but given sunlight, they should normal up.

Ann