Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

A lesson in checking your roses more often (RRD photos)

Karolina11
9 years ago

So I have been doing a lot of travel for work this growing season and spending less time than usual in the garden, which will be evident from the amount of weeds you will see in these photos.

However, I got home today after being gone since last Thursday and walked the garden. I got chills when I saw it.

{{gwi:329840}}

The red looks so different from the new leaves growing at the bottom.
{{gwi:329840}}

{{gwi:329842}}

{{gwi:329844}}

I took the cane off as close as I could to the graft and brought it inside for photos before disposing of it.

{{gwi:329846}}

{{gwi:329848}}

{{gwi:329850}}

{{gwi:329852}}

It is a September Moon floribunda planted around June of this year. It is a frontal rose in my beds so I am confident I would have noticed it if it was apparent last week. Hopefully I caught it quickly enough that it can be saved.

Unfortunately, I went deeper into the bed (that is 30' across) and of course found another. This is a Heart Song HT that has always been sickly and never quite productive so I never gave it much attention.

Here is what the plant looks like after I removed the cane:
{{gwi:329853}}

What new growth looks like on the plant that was not on the infected cane:
{{gwi:329856}}

I cut the cane off but I think I need to dig it up this weekend. You can tell the cane was much more infected and thus had been infected for much longer based on how far down it was shooting off shoots with symptoms.

{{gwi:329857}}

{{gwi:329858}}

{{gwi:329859}}

{{gwi:329860}}

{{gwi:329861}}

{{gwi:329862}}

These roses are approximately 8' apart. Between them there are perennials and a beautiful Purple Pavement rugosa. I am not too sure about the symptoms of RRD on rugosas but I have had this one for two years. Anyone think the below looks fishy?

{{gwi:329863}}

(Yes I have also not deadheaded this year)
{{gwi:329864}}

So I learned a lesson today. I knew about the possibility as I live in central Pennsylvania with multiflora everywhere. I specifically chose my home and gardening spot due to its location (large spruce border the entire property providing a windbreak, no known rose gardens in the neighborhood, closest multiflora I saw in the spring was over a mile away). However, I obviously did not do a thorough enough job checking as often as I should. Hopefully this is the last of it for a long time. Wish me luck! Thanks for reading!

Comments (3)

• anntn6b
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good photo essay.

I haven't had RRD on my species rugosas, but have seen it on rugosa crosses in Canada and the late Karl Bapst had RRD on some of his rugosa species in northern Indiana.

Karl and I talked about the need for three different symptoms being a necessity for a diagnosis on the rugosas.

For yours, compare the edges of the sepals on the hips with other sepals on the same rose, likewise the margins of the leaves and the textures of the leaves. There is some variability in the thorniness of rugosa canes, so I haven't liked that as a rugosa symptom. Look for the speed at which new growth emerges from the leaf axils below that now gone spray. Also I did see some spiral new growth when one side grew faster than the other.

Ann

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ann,
    Thank you for your response. I looked the rugosa over and the sepals on the hips look the same throughout the plant and I can't tell a difference with leaves other than lighter color on new growth. The growth seems to be happening all over the bush and not limited to a cane or two. The only thing that I felt was odd as how quickly the last set of blooms was spent but that was probably the weather. I will keep watch. Do you by any chance have any photos of the infected rugosas you have encountered?

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

I'm sorry I don't have photos.

On one near Knoxville, there were even denser thorns and curved stem growth and the 'rugose' leaves had spaces in between the veins that had overgrown the spaces and it almost looked as if I could pop the spaces (like an odd bubble wrap.)

Up in Canada, the rugosa crosses were second or third year infections and they had canes lines with witches brooms at every leaf break/bud axils. And distorted blooms.

One of the oddest things about RRD is that a certain point, the blooms stop having 'normal' sexual parts and things start to be missing. An example is the blooms on 'New Dawn' which has petals coming right out of the stems (no receptacles, no seeds, just petals.)

When RRD gets into the roses gone wild in New England, I think we'll see a lot more different kinds of aberrant growth.

Ann