Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunny Knockout Rose

Posted by kimberlysc z7 SC (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 27, 08 at 19:52

Does anyone have this? I'm very curious. I have been looking but have had no luck. From the pictures it looks like a beautiful yellow rose. I'm curious to hear peoples thoughts on this. We can forget Home Depot or Lowes carrying them at least in Upsatate SC.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunny Knockout Rose

Hi Kimberly, I don't have one but a local nursery owner said they go to "trash" quickly. He said they go white almost the first day. So he was not going to sell anymore of them. I have the Carefree Sunshine that looks alot like a yellow knockout and I believe I heard it was breed by the knockout people but it holds its color great and is gorgeous. Good luck getting info on it. Judy

o

It is probably too late to get potted roses in your area. Many vendors get their stock in the spring, usually April and finish up their stock by July.

I have heard the same thing about Sunny, that it fades to white quickly. I have heard only good things about Carefree Sunshine. If you would care to mail order, Chamblee's Rose Nursery will be carrying both roses, keep an eye on their availability list.

o

Sunny Knockout is a pretty rose, but it does fade fast. If you have a shady location, it would probably do well. Carefree Sunshine holds its color better, but does not keep the nice rounded shape that the Knockouts are known for.

o

Thank you all for your reponse. I called a Garden Center yesterday that was about an hour away. They specialize in roses but did not have the Carefree or the Sunny. They sure were trying to push other colors. I don't want other colors, I already have the pink and the blush, I want yellow! I will keep looking.

o

The sunny knockout rose is a great new fragrant bloomer from the knockout family. most places right now are sold out, however there are a few online companies that are offering it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunny Knockout Rose

o

I have three and they are quite lovely and really fragrant. Howver, they fade in about a day or so to white, even in lower light. The good news is they bloom really well.

o

• Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 13:37

I want one. :)
I hope my Lowes will sell it.

How big will it grow in zone 6? (SE PA)

o

Sunny KO is really fragrant? Interesting. Mine has yet to bloom. I'm curious to find out just how fragrant it is.

o

My DH just picked one up today at Wal-Mart of all places. I just had to try it. I already have Carefree Sunshine so I can compare the two. I'm going to try to site it in a shadier spot to see if it will hold its color better than reported. I'm curious about the fragrance too as the other KOs are not at all fragrant.

o

Walmart has it? Interesting..

Mine bloomed recently and it does have some fragrance unlike other KO roses. My mom in Houston has one and it's already 3 feet tall after it was planted bareroot in the ground in February. That's a lot of growth already.

o

Is this Kimberly from SC with the most gorgeous rose garden who won a Pickering award once?

I have Carefree Sunshine and ADORE it. From what I saw on TV, I thought Sunny Knockout looked a lot like it but as I have never seen Sunny KO in real life, I don't know but I do LOVE my Carefree Sunshine, far more than the regular Knockout.

o

Carefree Sunshine was Bill Radler's first yellow. He hybridized Knockout. I've has Carefree Sunshine for years now and it never fails to have blooms on it. It stays yellow also.

o

In the fall of 2007 and summer of 2008 I bought 5 Carefree Sunshines. I planted them on an open north facing slope, and they grew wonderfully. I put them with grasses, rudbeckia, heliopsis, achillea and echinacea to make a butterfly garden. The open shape works well for that type bed. This year I found bagged Sunny Knockouts at my Lowes, and bought them as soon as they unwrapped the pallet. I figured that way, they couldn't get dried out or start to grow before they should. I was shocked when I opened the bag and found long, long healthy roots. I have never had bagged roses look this good. I went back and bought 5 of the Double Pink Knockouts, and their roots were terrific also! I paid $9.98 apiece for these, and each had several index-finger-thick canes.
We had 3 really late freezes here after several days of 70 degrees, so many of my roses leafed out and then froze back. Some are not going to survive, I'm afraid. The Carefree Sunshines, all my knockouts, Home Runs, and Earthkind roses are by far the healthiest looking at this point.
I put the Sunny Knockouts in the butterfly bed with the Carefree Sunshines, so this summer I'll report back with bloom comparisons. I really don't mind that the colors fade, because new ones are always coming into bloom, and it gives a multi-color effect. That's how my Rainbow Knockout is, and I'm happy with it.
cindi

o

Kim, come back and play with us and you know. I hope they are not all sold out. We start getting our roses in here in early February and by Easter, lots of the good stuff is already bought out.

o

I do volunteer work at a rose nursery in Tulsa and they have Sunny Knockouts. They indeed have a very good sweet rose fragrance. They do fade to a whitish color but to me it's not so bad because there's a bi-color effect of yellow mingling into white. The blooms are about the same size as those of the Rainbow Knockouts, but the canes are stronger. The buds have the shape of the hybrid tea roses, long and tight. But Carefree Sunshine is a nice rose too, in her own way. Hope it was somewhat helpful. Have you seen the new Whiteouts? The blooms on those are huge with bright yellow stamens in the middle.

o

Have you seen the Whiteouts succumb to black spot mis-season? That's why Star only marketed it in the West Coast...until West Coast sales bit the dust and then they decided it should be nationwide. Read the Star copy. It says West Coast. As far as their pseudo yellows go, give me Julia Child anyday. Hands down better.

o

Thank you for the comments, amandahugg. I am a learner and will check on the Star copy. So far I've only seen the looks of the Sunny and Whiteout, not their health, they haven't been around here for a long time. I'll keep an eye on them to see how they tolerate BS in Oklahoma. If you are right then it's a warning for those of us who are in the process of learning about the roses.

o

I saw the Sunny Knock-outs at Lowes here in South Charlotte, NC last Friday. I wasn't impressed. The blooms were past their prime and had faded to a non-impressive off-white. I didn't buy one. I'm pretty sure that I also saw them at Witherspoon Rose Culture near the Charlotte airport. I didn't get one there either. I picked up Julia Child instead.

o

Our Lowes here in Spartanburg, SC had them this weekend. They were in a 3 gallon bucket for $16.98. Yes like everyone has said they are light in color but still very nice. I had to buy one. Just can't for the life of me figure where I want to plant it.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 10:31

I cant comment on how the bush grows because my 3 Sunnys are such young plants but I saw a huge 5 gallon pottted one at a nursery [for $15] and it was really lovely. I rather like the effect of the blooms fading, gives an interesting look. It is like the phototropic rose by John Sheldon called Hopi Girl that starts out yellow and turns to white. Its a beautiful rose that looks good with other colors and I am sure Sunny will also.
Judith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here