Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Do you have a favorite hybridizer?

seil zone 6b MI
9 years ago

I've noticed lately that several people have asked about certain hybrdizers and their roses. I was wondering if any of you have particular favorites. Are there some that you try to collect all their introductions?

Since I've become very enchanted with the miniature and miniflora roses I'll start there. Of course the Grand Daddy of them all was Ralph Moore but you can't forget Dee Bennett's delightful intros or David Clemons' wonderful race horse series. But for me my favorite is Frank Benardella. I just love his roses so much and have (or had until last winter) many of his little beauties.

Caliente, miniature, is a bright red stunner! The form is always spot on. A good grower and repeater and up until last winter very hardy.
{{gwi:330040}}

Double Take, miniflora, has a more decorative form but was a real charmer. I only had it for a short time but would definitely consider replacing it.
{{gwi:330041}}

Dr. Tommy Cairns, miniature, I was just lucky enough to have gifted to me from a rose friend. It's not even available anywhere yet. I've only had it a week and can't say yet how it will be but I'm thrilled to have it and excited to see what it will do. It has one bud on it!

First and Foremost, miniflora, was a big girl! Both the bloom and the plant were a good size. I wouldn't have thought it would do that well at exhibition but I've seen of late that it's been on several courts so...
{{gwi:330042}}

Focal Point, miniflora, was my first Benardella rose and will always be my favorite. It's stunning! Previous to last winter it was sturdy as a horse and came back strong each spring. Good repeat and fairly healthy for a mini. It's already on order for next spring.
{{gwi:330043}}

Jilly Jewel, miniature, I only had for one season but I will definitely be replacing this one. It grew like a weed, bloomed it's fool head off all season and each one looked like a Queen to me!
{{gwi:330044}}

Kristin, miniature, I got this spring and I've fallen in love with her! Tiny, dainty blooms with perfect form in my favorite white with red picote edges. She was just a stick when I got her in June but she's a good size bush now!
{{gwi:313720}}

Leading Lady, miniflora, WOW! I was a little worried about this one when it came in June because it seemed to be lagging behind the others I'd received. I needn't have worried, lol! She's three feet tall and wide now and hasn't stopped blooming once. The blooms are gorgeous white with the palest pink blush to them and have amazing form.
{{gwi:330045}}

Magic Show, miniature, was a very slow starter for me. Once it took off, though, there was no stopping it! It's grown very well this season and has been blooming those perfect little beauties all summer. Even in the gray, wet, cool season we've had this year.
{{gwi:330046}}

Patron, miniflora, was HOT! You could see that bright orange/red from across the yard. Not quite enough petals to show, I don't think, but a traffic stopping garden rose.
{{gwi:330048}}

Powerhouse, miniflora, was another bright spot in the pots. Better form than Patron but the same great color. I was really bummed that it didn't make it last winter because I was really hoping to get it to a show this spring. Another one on the "Replace Me" list!
{{gwi:330050}}

Power Point, miniflora, is even nicer than Powerhouse. A nice shade of red and excellent form. The plant is a strong grower but does take a while to repeat. the blooms, however, last a very long time.
{{gwi:330051}}

Show Stopper, miniflora, was true to it's name. Wonderful form and the prettiest shade of pink you could imagine. It bloomed and bloomed like crazy too. I just got this one replaced and I'm hoping it winters well this time. I know it will be getting special winterizing!
{{gwi:330052}}

Soroptimist International, miniflora, is probably one of Frank's the best exhibition roses. I'm getting to love this one too. The form is a mazing and the staying power is loooong! It's growing in leaps and bounds too.
{{gwi:311619}}

So that's my favorite hibridizer report. What's yours?

Comments (22)

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't have many roses or experience with that many hybridizers, but great photo essay! Very enjoyable reading.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

This is a good thread for me. I just checked all the roses I grow and I find I have a good spread in everyone except in the shrub class. Austin rules supreme there (10 varieties with at least 2 more for this coming spring). In my mini/miniflora's I have a pretty good even spread between Williams, Bridges', Clemons, Wells, Benardella and Tucker with a few others tossed in because I really like their rose. In my HT's Tom Carruth has the biggest influence there although only 2 varieties. In that class anyone who gave a good rose that does well in my garden has their name on at least 1 rose (Cocker, Kords, Winchel, Nerp, Zary and a few others).

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I can't rank them but some of my favorites (and I grow at least one rose by most of them):

Francois Lacharme
    J.P. Vibert
    Gilbert Nabonnand (et fils)
    Rev. Pemberton and Anne Bentall
    Peter Lambert
    Paul Barden
    Tom Carruth
    David Austin
    Jean Laffay
    Ralph Moore
    Gene Boerner
    Louis Lens
    Jean-Claude Ducher

And others, but these come to mind rather quickly. Like many artists, there are plenty of one hit wonders who are deserving of mention, but don't come to me as readily by name.

Jay

• buford
    9 years ago

Great thread seil. I have Powerpoint, and it's been awesome so far. I am noting some of those you have pictured here. I'm just learning about minis.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

The two hybridizers most represented in my garden are Carruth and Kordes and several of their roses are among my favorites. Pictured is Folklore, a Kordes rose,

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Love Song has been my favorite Carruth rose but Julia Child is beginning to overtake that spot.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 7:57

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Seil, thank you for showcasing Frank Benardella's beautiful creations. I am partial to his roses, as he was one of my mentors, along with Betty Valentine Jolly (Snow Bride).

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

David Austin wins hands down in my gardens.

Coming in a distant 2nd is Kordes and 3rd Meilland.

Further back in the distance are Pemberton and Paul Barden (2 each).

After that, no repeats in names of breeders who have representatives in my gardens.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Great hybridizers and roses!

I guess if we went just by numbers mine would be Keith Zary since I see I have 10 of his roses. They are a mix of everything from HTs to floris to minis and some of my favorites too.

Bees Knees
    Bella Roma
    Gemini
    Hot Tamale
    Mardi Gras
    Ruffled Cloud
    Sisters at Heart
    Veterans' Honor
    Voluptuous
    Wild Plum

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

I'll put a plug in for David Clemons, hybridizer of Joy, Whirlaway, Foolish Pleasure, and his latest, Tammy Clemons.

• mariannese
    9 years ago

I am in a cold and dry zone in Sweden. I used to collect hardy Geschwind climbers and have about a dozen. They have many faults, though, BS and lack of scent so I am not getting any more. My latest favourite is Tantau, or rather Evers, their present head hybridizer. I was sent five of his roses for trial and three of them are perfectly healthy and hardy after three years, the floribundas Pastella, Mariatheresia and Baronesse. White Alabaster in the same bed has blackspot now for the first time. Pastella is not as strong as the others but just as healthy.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

I just realized I have more Meilland roses than any other breeder. I am fond of them all, but Peace and Pink Peace tie for my two favorites. Shown is a picture of Pink Peace.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Oh, these are so gorgeous. Seil, thank you for the minis. My cal poly bit the dust this year. I do love the tiny delicate minis. Where do you get them.
    Austin and Kordes are the majority in my yard also.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got several from For Love of Roses and some others were from a rose sale a local society had as a fund raiser. I think they got them from Greenheart. I did luck out and get a few at a local nursery. Unfortunately we just found out they're going out of business. It's a real bummer because they were the only ones who carried any minis at all around here. I'll have to just keep hunting on line from now on.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Thank you, Seil . Sorry for drifting off topic.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

This is an interesting topic.
    Seil, I do love your minis!

Mariannese, the roses in your picture are lovely. I hope we'll hear about how well they performed everywhere after the trial period.

Sara-Ann your pictures are eye candy.

i never realized I had a favorite hybridizer till I took a look at what I grow. I still like Ralph Moore's roses. I think that the only ones I have from him are minis but they do well for me, bloom well and are pretty to boot. I love my Ping Lim roses. I only have Sweet Fragrance, Little Mischief and Music Box but they are sturdy, healthy, like to bloom and two have a nice fragrance. I like Griffith Buck, too. He had a lot of sturdy, work-a-day landscape shrubs but then threw in a few just for their beauty, I think. Prairie Sunrise and Distant Drums are two of my favorite roses, although I lost my DD last winter. If you add Julia Child, this will give you a great list of beautiful and rewarding roses for people in z 6-7 who are just getting started.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not at all off topic, Susan! We need to share our resources when we can so we can keep theses lovelies around.

Thanks, Kes! I think maybe we all don't realize we lean toward one or another hybridizer's roses until we stop and look. I had no idea I had so many Zary roses until i checked my inventory!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

I love the roses of Tom Carruth, David Austin, and Hans Jurgen Evers--want more of his roses so much. I will just have to drool over Marianne's beautiful photo for now. I love Easy Does It. Isn't it a Harkness rose? I also have a few favs by Meilland, but others of theirs don't thrill me as much. Here's Golden Celebration, one of Austin's best, I think. Diane

• mariannese
    9 years ago

I will get back on the verdict on the Tantau roses. 126 growers from all over Sweden have just sent in their final evaluation sheets for their Tantaus, Austins, Poulsens, Kordes, Baileys (Easy Elegance and others), a few varieties from French Primavera and Finnish roses from the KESKAS project.

I also received a Tantau climber, Uetersener Klosterrose, a rose that promised well its first two years but was a disaster the past summer. I post an older picture of it I think I already posted in the Gallery when I was very excited about this rose. Now it makes me sad to see what I lost. Some other growers are also disappointed. I think it needs a warmer climate.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

Two so far. Moore and Austin. Those are pretty much it when it comes to my garden. Moore's plants are healthy and can withstand the heat and water restrictions in my yard. I am a sucker for the many petal'd blooms of the Austins.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mariannese, I'll be looking forward to that study! Since you're also in a cold zone it will be good to know what does well there. That climber is a beauty! Shame it's not as hardy as it needs to be.

• iowa_jade
    9 years ago

Vibert
    Austin
    Kordes
    and of course not only being from IOWA:
    Dr. Griffith J. Buck

Here is a link that might be useful: The Buck Rose Web Site