Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
restoring color of Hot Cocoa

Posted by Chibimimi 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 19:59

I planted a Hot Cocoa this spring that is doing well. However, the color of the blooms has gradually shifted to a rose red and I'd like to regain the dusky overtones it originally had. I'm pretty sure it's due to the chemistry of my soil -- can anyone tell me what to add to get the chocolate tones back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: restoring color of Hot Cocoa

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 20:19

More likely it's due to the weather temps and/or the amount of sunlight it's getting. Mine is a different shade each time it blooms from a bright orange to almost cocoa colored.

o

I'm not sure what effects pH or any nutrient issues may have, but Seil is right. Cooler, damper temps encourage Hot Cocoa (and all the other 'brown roses') to provide the russet tones. Brown Velvet, even in brilliant sun, provided the chocolate velvet petals as long as it was cool to cold. Ramp up the heat and the color quickly shifted to bright orange. Leonidas does similarly as do Jocelyn, Edith Holden, Iris Web (more taupe than orange), Black Tea, Brown Study and Victoriana. As long as you're feeding it a properly balanced fertilizer and the rest of the plant appears normal, just wait until your temps cool off and you should see the desired coloring reappear. You COULD try cutting a flower just beginning to open with a short stem, then put the whole vase in an enclosed plastic bag in your refrigerator (frost free units dry out the flowers) and try opening it where it's cool to see how the pigments respond to temperature. It worked well with the others listed above. Kim

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 22:29

I agree with Seil and Kim. Try moving it to partial shade while its dorment. Mine is in the shade of a weeping willow, so it only gets dappled sun and stays a nice russet/brick color. :)

Tammy

o

Thanks, everyone. I'll either try moving it out of full sun or learn to love the seasonal variation.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 12 at 2:50

Or stretch a shade cloth canopy over it during the summer. Mine would revert to that beautiful color and double the petal count in any overcast conditions, in lots of sun it was a rather ordinary orange-red semi-double.

o

Feh! Mine has died (and you have to be a bit negligent to see off a rose in the UK and this is my second one this year).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here