Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

Your opinion needed on possible RRD

the_dark_lady
11 years ago

This year is absolutely devastating with regards to the number of RRD cases.

This morning I noticed quiet weird growth on my Climbing Pinkie. Although there is no excessive thorn formation, the growth looks suspiciously contorted and different from the normal. And no, I didn't use herbicides around that area.

Please take a look at the photo

{{gwi:330090}}

I really hope I am wrong and this in not another outbreak of the dreaded disease.

Thank you very much in advance,

Marina

Comments (12)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Marina, this would be normal new Tea growth, here in CA.
    I LOVE that mahogany-red foliage.

Here's new growth on 'Reve d'Or.'

Jeri

• anntn6b
    11 years ago

Marina,
    I have very bad feelings about that cane. The farthest out leaf axil break has already broken to one large, one smaller break to the right, and see that just small red knob that will be a third break closest to the camera. There's mottle mosaic, and some instances where the stipules at the base are overgrown and the leaf parts are dwarfed

If it were mine, I'd cut that entire cane off. Years ago I saved my rouletti in fall when it showed similar growth and the growth never turned green. Could you post a pix of more of the cane...I can check tomorrow afternoon and maybe we can tell if the problem started out on that cane or came up from the roots.

Ann

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much Jeri and Ann.
    Ann, I will take more photos today. It is not just one cane, same kind of growth is coming from the base, too.
    More photos to come later today.

Marina

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Ann is the expert to trust, but--If the OP inspects her roses regularly, she probably wouldn't miss RRD long enough to have it affect multiple shoots and especially basal shoots. RRD always starts in one place, usually a new secondary shoot from a leaf axil. It takes time for the infection to become systemic through the crown. Occasionally a basal shoot is infected after it has partly grown out (as the first infection of the plant).

So one consideration would be, could you have overlooked an RRD shoot for a few weeks? Can you ID that initial site now?

I don't grow Pinkie, but people who do should look at their new growth and comment.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I think we're all a little hyper about RRD right now. To me that doesn't look distorted for new growth. It takes time for the leaves to unfurl and straighten out. And a LOT of roses have very red new growth and changing seasons can have an effect on it too. Roses that may have been much greener in the heat of summer can be redder in the fall with cooler temps and shorter daylight hours. I would not jump the gun on that one and cut it off just yet.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Took a few more pictures. I am afraid, the diagnosis is not going to be pretty.
    I already cut all the branches with suspicious new growth down to the base.

And, I found another rose with CLASSIC RRD - Crown Princess Margarete - which grows about 10 ft. away from Climbing Pinkie.

{{gwi:330091}}

{{gwi:330092}}

{{gwi:330093}}

{{gwi:330094}}

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Ugh--so sorry.

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Two roses! Next step, have you or your lawn service used a weed killer?

• prairielaura
    11 years ago

Apologies for my ignorance...could someone please elaborate on the connection between RRD and say, Roundup??
    Laura, who missed a chapter

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, Henry, we never used weed killers, and we do not use lawn service (alas :))). Our lot is 7 acres and possibility of overspray from our neighbor is close to zero.
    Marina

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Laura, herbicide damage can be mistaken for RRD and vice versa. I don't think Roundup causes the type of growth we see in the latter group of pictures, but other types of herbicide can cause rampant, twisted growth. A light dose of Roundup on roses can cause dwarfed, curly, straplike foliage with overdeveloped stipules.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry about your RRD, Marina. I have Crown Princess Magareta and the young leaves don't look red like that. Last month I killed an Easy Elegance Rose infected with RRD, it had basal shoots that extremely thorny, with leaves red and curly like your pictures. It got infected at Home Depot since last year, but I didn't know until now.

From what I read, I can't plant anything in that spot for 2 years. I disposed the plant and soil, sterilized my shovel & clipper with alcohol, and sprayed the remaining area with Windex (its alkalinity kills ants too). So far all my 42+ roses are safe. Good luck to your rose garden, I love the gorgeous pics. you posted in HMF and Rose Gallery.