Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

pretty "eyelash stamen" singles

Hi. I'm looking for suggestions for a healthy, vigorous single (or near single) with the eyelash stamens or frilly, showy stamens.
I like "Innocence".
Any thoughts?
Susan

Comments (25)

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

Dainty Bess!

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Have you seen the new Hulthemia from Warner, offered by Certified Roses? In Britain, it's called "Eyes on You". Here, it's Raspberry Kiss. It's on Help Me Find, but the link below is the Certified Roses site page for it. A rose breeder friend in Oregon says he's been watching it in the trials and describes it as "essentially looks like a Flower Carpet rose, with persica blooms, and they LAST." Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Kiss

• User
    10 years ago

Kim, that is not Eyes for You (bred by Peter James) but the latest Warner persica, Bright as a Button. Having had this in my garden for a season only, the jury is still out since to say it was a shy bloomer is something of an understatement (although, like all the hulthemias, it is remarkably clean and free of foliage disease). Incidentally, although I have raved about EFY, I will be moving it from its front of bed position on account of its unbelievably awkward growth habit (wondering if Rhapsody in Blue occurs in it's parentage?)
    Susan, if mildew is not a major issue for you, check out Sweet Pretty, aka The Charlatan, a rather nice little Meilland rose, more compact than Dainty Bess.
    Any chance, d-y-think, of getting your hands on the Harkness persica, Alissar - a rather stellar rose with interesting colourations in both bloom and foliage? I could send you some budwood.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Golden Wings is a good yellow. You might also look at the Eyeconics, Lemonade, Pink Lemonade, Pomegranate, Lychee and Melon. I really like my E. Pink Lemonade a lot!

• michaelg
    10 years ago

'Ivory Fashion' makes superb sprays for cutting if you remove the central bud early. Large flowers with beautiful red stamens. However, it is extremely susceptible to blackspot and would need regular fungicide in BS country.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Camps, mildew is not an issue (except on gallicas!). Alissar sure is pretty, and changeable but doesn't appear available in the U.S. (we are so deprived of choices here. ha!)
    Seil, I like the eyeconic roses and Dan, I like Dainty Bess.
    Kim, I like Raspberry Kiss but I really want something simple.
    I will check out The Charlatan. I've come across it several times in my reading.
    I need something pretty small..3 ft or less.
    Thanks you all for the suggestions.
    Susan

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

I have a young Bull's Eye which seems to be doing very well, it's very shrubby and has neat little leaves...
    Belle Story is not a single but is only loosely double and opens up to show pretty stamens...not a particularly attractive plant, though.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thanks, Suzy. Yes ma'am, not Eyes FOR You, Eyes ON Me. I mis typed the name to confuse you. Sorry about that. E4Y doesn't have Rhapsody in Blue but it does have Blue for You behind it. Summerwine (climber) is the common ancestor behind the Warner/James Hulthemias as well as Blue for You and Rhapsody in Blue. It appears to have provided the vigor, excellent foliage, odd coloring and scent. I'm thrilled so many British and Ilskink Hulthemias are appearing here....FINALLY. Thanks for the bud wood offer, but I have to decline. IF it makes it through all the National Security efforts and I'm caught with it, each variety smuggled in is subject to a $20,000 fine. It would be significantly more "cost effective" simply to import whatever is desired and even that is too rich for my blood! Kim

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Weird duplicate... my "smartphone" must not be very smart!!!

...could be the operator.

This post was edited by racin_rose on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 17:35

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

I am not certain what you mean about "eyelash stamens", but my favorite single is 'Grace Seward'. It is classified as a miniature, but it is really more of a mini-flora and the bush can grow to 3+ feet.

Smiles,
    Lyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Grace Seward on HMF

• User
    10 years ago

such a delightful wee rose, Lyn. I have seen this one a couple of times in pics and it always sends a shiver of envious desire through my greedy self. Those pointy, slightly wayward little petals........sigh!

I truly love these singles, far and away above all others......

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

You might want to look at some copies of the "Singularly Beautiful Roses" newsletters. A quick internet search will turn up at least some of them. In the link I've posted below, the first five search results will give you five different newsletters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

The editor of "Singularly Beautiful Roses" has also posted some photos on HMF.

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos of Singularly Beautiful Roses on HMFRoses

Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome! Thanks you all! Lyn, I love that Grace Seward too!
    Kim, which Hulthemias are arriving and school me on them?
    Heading off to check out SBRs.
    Susan

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thank you for mentioning Singularly Beautiful Roses newsletter. Stephen Hoy, who created it, is a lovely gentleman and puts out a marvelous publication. Anyone who enjoys singles at all will enjoy it.

The imported Hulthemias began with Bull's Eye, Susan. It appears to be a sibling of Eyes for You. The recent post concerning Tesslar's "Sweet Spot Roses" introduces the Ilsink Hulthemias. (see below)

Certified is releasing Raspberry Kiss, another Warner Hulthemia, which shown in the Certified catalong in the thread I posted about the catalog on line. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Spot Thread

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

Suzy........

The rose 'Grace Seward' started my love affair with roses. The spring and fall flushes are so beautiful. In my new climate, during the high summer temps, I go out early in the morning and cut the buds just as the sepals have dropped and can enjoy the blooms in the house.

I actually made Kim drive to Grace Seward's home to collect cuttings for a rose that was part of the "Lost Rose Search" for the Ralph Moore Roses. He said she was a very lovely lady.

Did I say I love this rose ? I am going to add a couple more plants of this rose to the garden. One plant is just not enough for me.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

I just have to post another favorite photo of my favorite rose.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Jiminshermanoaks and I visited Gracie one marvelous afternoon for that trip. She was gracious, lovely and a real hoot! She was one of the "good old girls" network with June Grose and a few others. Very neat lady in all respects and none of them will ever be replaced.

"Her rose" is a very lovely shrub in these parts. Those coral pink anthers, which don't often show well in photographs (but are rather well depicted in Lyn's); her ease of growth and incessant flowering make her well worth a place in anyone's garden. She grew in mine for many years and required nothing of me other than water. She isn't in my current one because I could never get her seeds to germinate nor anything worthwhile of her pollen. Had I the room, her rose would be here simply because of its beauty and to honor a lovely lady. Kim

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Lyn that is a lovely rose! I can see why you like it so much.

Thank you for the back story too Kim. Makes the rose even more interesting

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You're welcome, Kippy. Susan, how about...Lynnie, Carlin's Rhythm, Lilac Charm, Ellen Willmott, Frances Ashton, Isobel, Sunny June, Vesuvius, Altissimo, White Wings, Flamingo (H. Rugosa, 1956), Flame of Love (HT), Secret Garden Musk Climber...enough to look up for a little while? Kim

Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim, I have Lilac Charm. Really cute. Planted Secret Garden Musk Climber this spring--no bloom yet. I read an article of yours on HMF (while researching singles). In it you raved about Cecil.
    I really love White Wings. I will check out the others.
    Thanks!
    Susan

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

Take a look at Omi Oswald. It has some of the most interesting stamens among all my roses. Looks kind of like a hibiscus. I find the flowers quite fascinating. OO is a hybrid musk. Seems to be fairly drought tolerant as an added bonus. Absolutely clean foliage here in mildew and rust central!

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Omi Oswald at HMF

• User
    10 years ago

While pondering another post - a perfect rose sprang to mind - take a look at Ellen Wilmott - one of the early single hybrid teas - there were several which appeared over a decade, many of which are still in commerce to day - Dainty Bess, Dairy Maid, Irish Elegance, Mrs.Oakley Fisher....and Ellen - a delicate lilac with a glorious boss of stamens.

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

'Kathleen Mills' stylish pink with a more saturated pink reverse, the petals have a bit of a twirl to them so the reverse shows.
    'Simplex' a white Moore Mini-wich hybrid, the only thing I don't like is its' ultra upright growth habit, but the tiny white blooms are precious wonders.
    'Irish Fireflame'
    and another vote for 'Cecil' because 'Mermaid' is too huge.
    best wishes finding your perfect rose with eyelash filiments.
    Lux

Original Author
    10 years ago

Camps, I guess I went a bit "single crazy" with bands this spring and summer. I have Mrs. Oakley Fisher and I love her! I ordered Ellen Wilmott and she has just struggled pitifully. I really think she is gorgeous though!
    All of the singles you and Lux suggested are on my list.
    I have clipped all these posts and will use them as I establish my singles collection.
    Thanks!
    Susan