Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Which Rose Would You Just Not Be Without?

If you could choose only one rose, which would it be, and why?

For me, in the moderns, it would be a tie between Yves Piaget and Don Juan. I love the color, beauty, rose form, and fragrance of Yves Piaget.

I always have a tall wall upon which supported, a climber can climb and decorate. D.J. is beautiful, disease resistant, a vigorous grower with a quick repeat, and a dark shade of red surrounded by healthy dark green leaves.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 20:22

Comments (17)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Can't decide between my two newest roses--Austin's Lady of Shalott or Austin's Munstead Wood. Guess I'll have to flip a coin. : )

Kate

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    10 years ago

I'm totally obsessed with the english rose Anne Boleyn!!

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Don Juan...a challenge in my zone and never gets much over 10-12 ft. Worth every effort

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

My first rose, Morden Sunrise...the one that started the rapid obsession... Yet I would have had so much more money if I had not purchased it....

SCG

• jerijen
    10 years ago

"Grandmother's Hat," without any doubt.

Jeri

• dove_song
    10 years ago

For it's powerful rose, citrus fragrance, fabulous ht form, and because it's lavender...

Here is a link that might be useful: I would choose this one!

• nastarana
    10 years ago

I will not live without albas.

Palatine has Princesse de Lamballe this season!

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Jeri, your GH is out of this world. I had her years ago and she died. Having a hard time finding another. Any suggestions?
    Tyia

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Probably Julia Child, but Augusta Luise is coming on strong. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

And Augusta Luise. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

It's very, very late, but I'm having fun, and I forgot...even when she breaks my heart, I must have Evelyn. This is Evelyn looking pink. Diane
    Oh, and the Julia Child pic was taken in July when it was 102 degrees. She is so tough.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Of the roses I have right now, Belinda's Dream would have to be my choice, but I have several that are a close second. She repeats so quickly, an all-around good rose from what I can tell so far.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Some lovely roses on this thread!

Prettypetals--why are you obsessed with Anne Boleyn? I've been growing her for 5-6 years hoping she would one day finally dazzle me (I do love her bloom), but she remains as stingy with blooming and re-blooming today as she did her very first year. Sometimes I wonder why I let her hang around since she is so unproductive. You must be finding some other virtue in her if you would rate her as indispensable. I'd love to know.

Kate

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Tyia -- "Grandmother's Hat" is less-available, now that we've lost Vintage Gardens as a source. I would try:

Burlington Rose Nursery
    Rogue Valley Roses
    Annie's Annuals

Jeri

• User
    10 years ago

already gave the glowing report over on the antique forum. No matter, the answer is the same - the fabulous species rose, moyesii.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Paradise Found HT - the fragrance is so unusual - never smelled anything like it. The blooms are equisite with the lighter inner color and the darker edges. The flowers and scent make me almost swoon.

Second choice would be Memorial Day. The fragrance is so intoxicating - old rose I think. The color is so saturated and there are so many flowers. I get the same swoon factor with this rose. :)

Carol

• coconutty
    10 years ago

Hmm. It would be between BR Cant & Clotilde Soupert. At the moment, BR Cant. But they are both amazing.