deervssteve

Smile

deervssteve
9 years ago

Oak good, roses bad.

Comments (9)

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

You can tell she's really eye balling that rose lol.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Yeah, she wants it!!!
    How many roses do you have? Do you protect each one?
    Carol

• deervssteve
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have 9 modern roses, all caged and planted in the last two years. I have 5 unprotected climbers and 10 OG Roses; 2 are protected. 25 years ago I had close to 200 bushes. Only the OG and climbers survived the deer.

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Wow!
    That's nasty!
    Those deer have really done a number to your roses. :(
    So sorry for you.
    Carol

• dove_song
    9 years ago

Wow you grew a lot of roses 25 years ago, Steve. I grew a lot more roses than I do now, but I still love growing some! Sorry that the deer are such pests for you in this rose growing hobby of yours.

• deervssteve
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I moved into the house there wasn't much landscaping in the front other than mature trees. There were a few rose bushes and they hadn't been touched.
    Over the next three years, I kept on adding more in every place something could be planted even shady areas with roses that needed less sun. Narrow strips of dirt planted three rows deep; minis, floribundas, HT and grandiflora.
    I had a bounty of cut flowers. Then the word spread among the deer population; free food. My yard became a destination spot for them. I tried sprays and repellants without success. The yard was not suitable for fencing.

Going back to a blank canvas I have room for maybe another 3 or 4 in my front yard where there is abundant sun. There must be a lot more shade than there was 25 years ago.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Can you hunt them? :-) I heard venison stew is good......

• susan4952
    9 years ago

Such a beautiful animal ...so frustrating.

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

Steve ....

My neighbor above me removed all of the vegetation that used to feed what I call his private deer herd. They have been trying to move down to my part of the slope. All of the roses out in deer territory (the front of my home) are fenced, as is the back of the house where I grow most of my roses.

The deer are starving up here and are desperate for food. I had one fenced rose attacked by a doe that must have been double-jointed. She had to squeeze under a stair rail and drop down about a foot to get to the rose. How she managed to do that is a total mystery to me. I've put up fencing along the stairs, so it won't happen again.

This season, the deer have eaten ALL of my deer resistant plants down to the crown of the plants.

In a way, it is heartbreaking to see the deer with their ribs showing at this time of year. I think many of them will not make it through the winter.

That said, I am still glad my roses are caged.

Smiles,
    Lyn

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm