11 years ago

this is the underside of the leaves.

Comments (12)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

kovich, where do you live and what did you spray your roses with? Kim

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

Looks like early chilli thrips damage to me, assuming you live where they do.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

If that's what chili thrips do, I sure don't want them!

Jeri

• roseseek
    11 years ago

So far, thank heavens, Chili Thrip damage around here is limited to Ficus hedges. Having to battle these on roses will be a deal breaker. Kim

• Glenburn
    11 years ago

As it appears to be on the top and bottom of the leaves, could it be "spray drift". The other thing that I see is it looks like tracks, which mites would do.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Without knowing where this is, it's hard to be useful.

I personally do not recall seeing anything quite like this, so I'm thinking it's not in the Western States.

Jeri

• rosetom
    11 years ago

Hmm ... looking at the pics I've seen on the Internet, I would have to agree: chili thrips. It may also explain some symptoms that I've seen in the last couple of years, which are not too widespread at the moment, thank goodness.

• campv 8b AZ
    11 years ago

I have thrips on my roses every year. I would rather have just about anything else. They destroy the bud, it will turn brown and die when it particially open. If the rose manages to open, the rose petals will be a mess. Completely distorted.
    Thrips like light colored roses the best, but will attack other colors. They are very hard to see until they have done their damage. They are also very hard to kill. They make their home inside the rose bud and if you look very close with a magnifier, you will see small pinholes going into the new bud. So spraying after, is not going to help. They come from the dirt, climb up the rose stem and make their home in the newly formed bud.
    Some of my years are worst than others. I have found that systemic will get rid of them if I spray at the right time, but it is nasty stuff. I tried putting all different kinds of stuff at the base of the rose to try to kill them in the dirt, but so far, nothing has worked. To make matters worst, they blow with the wind. I even found one in my glass of wine.

• campv 8b AZ
    11 years ago

I forgot to add, I get them on my privets on the other side of the house as well. They are easy to kill on those plants(no buds). They leave small pin holes in the leaves, which turn white and the leaf turns yellow and dies. Great huh

• kovich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello all. I appreciate your responses. I contacted my local extension and it is chilli thrip. I live in central florida and after doing research these things are a big problem in Florida. They arrived here through many of the hurricanes that come to our state.
    Extension told me to use 3 things. First use imidacloprid granuals for the soil and then spray them also with imidalcloprid spray. Then 3 days later spray them with spinosad and then last use acephate. He said they resist insecticides very easily so rotating is the key. All in all chemicals cost about 60 to 70 dollars which I bought today. I will treat my roses and see what happens. If I can't get rid of these things I will pull them out. BTW they also said to prune all damage first before treating. this way you get rid of the ones on the plant. Put cuttings in a plastic bag and seal it to prevent them from spreading even further. Wow what a pain. Thanks again and I will update this in 4 to 6 weeks.

• campv 8b AZ
    11 years ago

I don't know anything about imidacloprid granuals.
    Will you please give me a product name(ortho-- or neem--?) and where I can purchase this. I don't have a lot of places in this itty bitty town to by chems (Lows and HD or internet)
    Thanks

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

A company called Hi-Yield makes imidacloprid granules. Follow instructions on the container. This product is available in nurseries not big box stores (around here, anyway). It's very reasonable in price. Diane