Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingo2001

Easy Elegance "Kiss Me"

There was a thread earlier re Easy Elegance roses. This was my "Kiss Me" rose after being in the ground for 2 to 3 years. Sadly the polar winter killed it last year but I love this rose! Constantly blooming and smells so good! I found another one a couple of weeks ago. Last year it was in full bloom and froze solid in one of our early weird storms....was fine every other year :)

Comments (14)

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

full shot. sorry for the pic quality

Original Author
    9 years ago

closer

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Dingo - I love it!

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago

Nice! It is very hard to find nurseries that carry Ping Lim's roses where I live. I saw some of his roses in person in the botantical gardens in NYC, and would love to try a couple. This one would be on my radar.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

There isn't a lot of information on the upper limits for these roses. Just how cold did it get to kill this one off?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mad Gallica it was horrible lol! It did come back with one tiny cane this spring, and then died. We had multiple -16F days and windchills in excess of -20. It was in full bloom, freak storm came through with freezing rain in Nov? I think, and it was all downhill from there. I'm not sure if that's what did it in or not. Oddly enough, I lost an old shrubby Yew just down the patio from this rose that has withstood some horrible winters. I'm in NW Chicago burbs, and a lot of people lost well established, zone appropriate plants last year. I wouldn't hesitate to plant it again, I think last year was just an anomaly.

• eviemp
    9 years ago

I'm also in the NW suburbs of Chicago. I loved the Easy Elegance roses when they first came out. I had two young ones that died in the summer drought we had two years ago. They were guaranteed for two years and I did get my money back after I had to 'remind them' I was waiting. LOL
    I had two o thers that came through our bad winter last year although one was not hurt at all and the other one is only about t wo inches high and never grew this summer. The good thing about these roses is that they don't seem to get any blackspot, but I'm not as crazy about them anymore.

• sarahsue4
    7 years ago

Oh, Dingo! I LOVED the scent of this rose when I first came across it, so much that my nose pulled me across the store to find it! I wish I would have bought it!

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

I loved mine as well Julie. I have lost 2 of them to winter. Maybe the 3rd time would be a charm. Please let us know if it makes it thru winter for you. Of course maybe we will get lucky and have a mild one. I hope!

Original Author
    7 years ago

I wish I could find this rose again! The one I bought a couple of years ago turned out to be mislabeled, and now no one has it!

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    7 years ago

Kiss Me is on my short list. Its Easy Elegance cousin Sweet Fragrance has been growning in my garden for 4 years now, and it is one of my favorite roses. Blooming machine, nicely shaped bush like Kiss Me, rich orange sherbit color, not much fragrance though, and very good disease resistance (some BS), all describe its assets.

However, Sweet Fragrance has poor winter hardiness even with generous protection in W. PA, zone 5/6. Without protection I suspect it would die over winter as your Kiss Me does.

Both roses' kinship as Easy Elegance roses could be indicative of other roses in this line being poor winter survivors Up North.

Even with very good winterization: a roofing felt collar 16" in diameter filled with fine pine bark mulch, only kept about 2" of growth above the crown from dying. Even so, my Sweet Fragrance bounces back quickly in spring, and by July 4th. it is 30" H x 24" W. SW has never exceeded these dimensions every since its first year. It is also one of the first roses and last roses to bloom for me.

Hope my heads-up on Sweet Fragrance sheds some light on your Kiss Me.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    7 years ago

I don't know about other places but I have never lost a Sweet Fragrance. It is not cane hardy but they shoot up out of the ground each and every year for 10+ years. It's also one of the healthiest.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm