Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Still not sure about this rose

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

This is the third time I've posted a picture of this rose. Every time it blooms, it looks different, so I'm not sure. It was a mis-labeled rose I received this spring. I had no clue what it was. I posted it on the ID forum and Seil gave 3 suggestions of what she thought it might be. I remember one was Granada and I thought that might be it. Later I was browsing a website and saw a picture of Heart O' Gold and thought it looked very similar, and was almost certain that was it. Pat from Alabama posted some pictures of her Heart O' Gold. Now that mine has bloomed again, I'm leaning more toward Granada. Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

What is the scent like? How about some clear, close-up photos of the foliage and prickles? Sometimes, foliage can help determine a tie in identifications. Kim

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

It's not HEART O'GOLD. I bet it's GRANADA. Does it smell good? I got GRANADA as a cheapie bagged bareroot a few yrs ago, and haven't seen a bloom on it yet. I understand it supposedly smells delicious. If it's not GRANADA, there's a possibility it could be ARIZONA. I got a rose a long time ago that changed colors from oranges and pinks to reds, etc, and everybody on the Forum felt it was AZ. You might check into that one also. But just seeing this photo it looks just like the pics I've seen of GRANADA.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

I'll add a vote for Granada. Have several and they are REALLY variable like that. Even from one side of the property to the other.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone. Kim - It rained for several hours this morning, so I just now got a chance to get a picture, hope this is good enough. The stems have very few thorns. I have a difficult time with scents, but I would describe it as close to kind of a melon type scent, very pleasant. Beth and Kathy I am leaning toward Granada also. I'm sure it wouldn't be Arizona, I had that rose for several years and the blooms never looked anything like the one pictured.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I'm still leaning toward Granada. The shape of the bloom looks very much like mine. Granada can be many different colors depending on the weather and in the fall when it's cool it does go very pink like that. In the heat of summer mine tends to be more on the orange side. If mine had leaves at the moment I'd go check them but unfortunately they gone from BS right now, lol!

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Hey Sara Ann, I was so sure yours was HoG from the last picture you posted, but not so much so from this one. I don't grow Granada for comparison, but here are some more pics of my HoG (all taken this month in varying stages). Also, this is only its second year, but HoG is already very tall (that's a 6 ft fence behind it) and narrow (maybe 2 1/2 to 3 feet wide). Even its first year, it got really tall, but didn't bloom much. This year its rarely been out of bloom. Blooms last a long time on the bush and cut. Fragrance is strong to moderate depending on weather and time of day. Each and every bloom has an extremely long stem (at least 15 inches). So if yours isn't tall with long cutting stems, probably isn't HoG.

{{gwi:330338}}

{{gwi:330339}}

{{gwi:330340}}

{{gwi:330341}}

{{gwi:330342}}

{{gwi:330343}}

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pat - I'm not sure, but your Heart 'O Gold is one gorgeous rose! Since mine is own-root and this is its first year I can't tell yet. I think I am still leaning toward Granada. Thanks. Maybe if I plant a HoG and a Granada I'll know for sure, that may be the only way I'll be able to know for sure. Then it may not be either one. lol!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, a double post. Pat - I'm not sure, but your Heart 'O Gold is one gorgeous rose! Since mine is own-root and this is its first year I can't tell yet. I think I am still leaning toward Granada. Thanks. Maybe if I plant a HoG and a Granada I'll know for sure, that may be the only way I'll be able to know for sure. Then it may not be either one. lol!

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 13:32

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz