Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentucky_rose

Berolina/Selfridges

I would appreciate any info on Berolina/Selfridges. I enjoy cutting roses. Would this be a good choice?

Comments (16)

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

No as it only blooms good in the spring. I got rid of mine!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Not sure what all I can say about it since mine is still relatively new, but mine seems to be almost always in bloom. Its blooms are kinda "delicate" in the heat of late summer and sometimes burn up in one day's sunshine, but new blooms appear a day or two later. The blooms are not big fat hybrid tea type blooms or exhibition form , if that is what you are looking for. It does have long stems, so you would like that, but it is not showy--much more "modest" and --well, "delicate" is the word that keeps popping up in my mind. Pastel yellow in the sun--I seem to remember a more full-bodied yellow last spring, but I rather like the "delicate" yellow it has during the hot months.

Ask me a year from now and I can probably give you a better answer.

Oh, it is disease-resistant.

Kate

• everyrose
    10 years ago

I've been growing Selfridges for 3-4 years now. It didn't do much until this year. Its now 9 feet tall! It is one of my favorite roses. I like the color and I love the fragrance. I can't tell you about vase life since I don't cut my roses. It doesn't seem like the blooms last very long on the bush but Quest-Ritson in the Encyclopedia of Roses say that it is a good cutting rose. It blooms mostly with 1 rose per stem and the stems are long. Right now it has no leaves at the base and the lower leaves have blackspot and are dropping off, but the new leaves from about 3 feet on up are all healthy. I can grow it here in Seattle as a no spray rose as long as I am willing to put up with blackspot on the lower leaves but I can't say how it would do in a climate with more disease pressure.

• everyrose
    10 years ago

I've been growing Selfridges for 3-4 years now. It didn't do much until this year. Its now 9 feet tall! It is one of my favorite roses. I like the color and I love the fragrance. I can't tell you about vase life since I don't cut my roses. It doesn't seem like the blooms last very long on the bush but Quest-Ritson in the Encyclopedia of Roses say that it is a good cutting rose. It blooms mostly with 1 rose per stem and the stems are long. Right now it has no leaves at the base and the lower leaves have blackspot and are dropping off, but the new leaves from about 3 feet on up are all healthy. I can grow it here in Seattle as a no spray rose as long as I am willing to put up with blackspot on the lower leaves but I can't say how it would do in a climate with more disease pressure.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would the blooms flatten out, like a pancake?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Um . . . I'm afraid I have no idea what that question means. Could you phrase it differently? Maybe I could then figure out what it is you are trying to find out.

Sorry. I'm probably being dense. : (

Kate

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, some blooms when they open can look more like a saucer (pancake) than a bowl. Opening Night, open bloom, was flat for me. Veteran's Honor bloom has some height when it opens. I hope this helps!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Gee, I'm not sure how to describe them--maybe about halfway inbetween?

Here is a pic of Berolina in its prime back during its late spring bloom. What would you call that shape?
    {{gwi:217610}}

That was back during ideal growing conditions. During our past month, we've had to deal with excessive heat and the blooms became more light yellowish-white and not as plump in the center--kinda went limp in the high heat, but kept on blooming.

Does that help?

Kate

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, thanks. It looks like there's some height in the middle. How long do you think Berolina would last in a vase?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Haven't a clue. I almost never cut my roses. Sorry, can't help you there.

Kate

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Mohana - I haven't grown it, but the pictures I've seen of it look promising for a cut flower/garden rose. Steve's in Wisconsin had it in spring of 2013 budded on multiflora. Below is a link on test results for it as a cut flower........BTW, on Selfridges you may be interested in its ARS rating of 7.3. Not horribly low, but not very high either (I like around a 7.7 and up). Now for me the ARS ratings usually (and I say usually) are fairly accurate, so I use them as one of my check off points. Other people swear that they are inaccurate. That's their affair......The only yellow HT rose I grew for cutting that impressed me was one called Golden Fantasie. It's an older florist rose, and I have only managed to bumble onto it with luck at farm stores or such places (Ace Hardware etc.). Comes out of Texas I believe. Very fragrant to my nose as well, but a bit tender........Good Luck with the Yellows.....Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Selfridges

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl,
    I got Mohana this year from K&M. It's in the establishing phase and I'm hoping it makes it through the winter. Blooms are gorgeous and last a long time on the bush. The bush is still small and I've resisted cutting for indoors.

Kate,
    That was a beautiful picture of Berolina.

I did order South Africa from Palatine for 2014.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Ky Rose...I am a big fan of South Africa! I know you will enjoy this rose. I am in Louisville,KY. I have often considered Berolina, but I am about out of room. Lesley

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I've never seen a South Africa in real life, but going by the pictures, I would say South Africa has showier and more eye-catching blooms--I really like the apricot/gold/yellow blend. Berolina has a much more quiet, modest bloom--very pleasant but no powzam to it like South Africa has. Two very different effects.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the So.Africa pic above makes it look more like a bushy floribunda, whereas Berolina is a hybrid tea--more vertical and lean. For my purposes, I definitely needed a hybrid tea. You'll have to decide which is most appropriate in your garden.

Kate

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Kentucky Rose: I hope you post next year how Mohana does for you. Fortuniana root stock is not for my area, and it can be winter tender as well..... I'm also interested in cut roses, but mine must be confined to a container, so height is also a defining criteria.....Just as another thought, although it's not a HT, it blooms mostly in singles so has the same effect for cut blooms. I'm speaking of Honey Bouquet. It's a light yellow (a little deeper color in spring/fall) and has amazing heat resistance. I thoroughly enjoyed mine in my hot/humid summer climate. Alas, it got taken out over one particularly cold winter (single digits) after years of good growth. Yellow/white/orange all can be winter tender here at times......I like South Africa too. That's a nice picture of it..........Maryl

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl,
    I bury the bud union/graft. This seems to work best for me. Sometimes they make it, depending on the winter and winter hardiness of the variety. Another one that I got this year is Pacific Celebration. I didn't notice any BS on it, when so many others had it even with spraying. It's a beautiful bud and interesting bloom....time will tell.
    Hattie