Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandandsun_gw

Hybrid Teas - No Way!

sandandsun
9 years ago

Yes way!

What?

Yes, there will be hybrid teas in my no spray garden next year.

What?

Yep.

Have you visited Chamblee's site lately?

I shouldn't have done it. Bad, bad, bad. Need more roses like another hole in the head. But I visited the Chamblee's website and they've got LOTS of recent Kordes roses (and heaven help me they seem to be adding more all the time)!

I was looking around at them and realized that they had some hybrid teas that have received very good blackspot resistance reports.

And that's NOT the worst of it!

I've had a rule for a while: No More Pink Roses!

I guess I had better not make any more rules for myself any time soon. And so yes, yes I did, and yes there will. (End confession).

Hybrid teas - no way! Yes way!

Comments (17)

• amberroses
    9 years ago

What are you getting?

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

You bad!

Our own root Mr Lincoln has been BS resistant since 2010 in a no spray situation ... (Scratching head)...lol
    So anythings possible! Best of luck with your new Hybrid Tea rose next year!

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm ashamed, can't you tell?

I broke the rule and I did it Big Time.

Let's put it this way, if it's pink, a hybrid tea, and currently offered by Chamblee's, then it will be in my own root no spray garden next year.

One I've wanted since I first read about it in 2012, and then I read the (I assume: grafted) confirmation in the thread below.

One already has 66 favorite votes on HMF and it's only about 7 years old.

One looks like, well - a real hybrid tea blossom

BUT remember, I'm zone 9. My Kordes roses I already have are doing very well, but I have no idea how they'd do in zone 10.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Souvenir de Baden-Baden' / Pink Enchantment

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jim1961,

Thanks and I understand. Of that "family" I had tried 'Oklahoma.' I got it as a band (I should call it a microband because I've never before or since received such a small own root plant). It's the only rose that died for me here in FL. I was actually quite relieved because it would have taken a century (pardon the exaggeration) to amount to anything.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

That's great, glad you found some roses you love. I love Chamblees, I live 3 hours from there and made a trip last spring for my roses and will be making another trip before the end of next March. I have my eye on a few of the Kordes roses but haven't made up my mind on which ones yet.

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

boncrow66,

I think it's alameda (or a similar spelling) that also lives close. She writes that by going to the store her roses are larger sizes than what the rest of us can get mail order.

If that's the case, I'm very happy for your good fortune.

Congrats either way.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

You should be ashamed sandandsun... lol ;-)

I have nothing against any type rose. Different strokes for different folks and all that good stuff...

I'm going to try some Kordes roses next year myself...

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jim1961,

I'm not ashamed of getting hybrid teas that have good blackspot resistance reports. And I'm not really "ashamed" at all, the word is an exaggeration of my embarassment that I couldn't keep from buying MORE PINK roses.

I think I'll manage to get over it - somehow, lol.

• dove_song
    9 years ago

Lol, you all are funny. love hts here in this semiarid climate--don't have to spray here. thanks for todays fun here on gw rose forum! :)

• buford
    9 years ago

So you are falling for the BS resistance hype?

You should be ashamed.

• dove_song
    9 years ago

ps i ordered 4 roses from palatine. hts of course! They are barkarole, gemini, rainbow niagra, elina aka peaudouce hehe :)

This post was edited by dove_song on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 13:39

• buford
    9 years ago

I ordered Gemini and Rainbow Niagara too. I'm getting back into HTs, but I will spray.

• amberroses
    9 years ago

Pink is a beautiful color :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I like the form of HTs. They are beautiful! I also exhibit so you really have to have HTs in your garden to do that seriously. But I've found over the years that I've fallen in love with all the different forms out there too. So my garden is pretty much a mix of everything from HTs, and all the moderns, right down to the micro-minis, to shrubs, including the Austin's, and all the OGR classes that will grow in my zone. And even some that won't, lol! Maybe that's why I have such a hard time choosing!

• susan4952
    9 years ago

I love ht's also. Even in hot humid freezing snowy windy Chicago.
    And dove song, you will love Gemini

• newroses
    9 years ago

We have trials going on the Kordes HTs in both Houston and Orlando Fl so we will let you know how they do as we get data. Savannah so far has done very well in Houston.

• dove_song
    9 years ago

Hope you enjoy your rainbow niagra and gemini, Buford! And wow, Susan4952. Thanks a bunch!!!
    This is a great thread...really lovin' everyones input. :)