Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusjoe1

Any suggestions for a pair of loppers?

cactusjoe1
11 years ago

I posted this in the Toolshed Forums but had no response. I hope I may get some suggestions here.

I have had a pair of heavy duty rachetting loppers for over 15 years. It was a brute of a lopper and used to slice through 2 1/2 inches with ease. Unfortunately I seem to have missplaced it...........or else it was stolen during one of those bathroom breaks I have been needing. I would love to look for something similar and so far, the only thing that comes close is Lee Valley Tools' heavy offering. Does anybody have any suggestions for other options?

Comments (14)

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

I have two Felco loppers and love them, really easy to use.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Felcos, Joe.
    You're serious about your roses, so don't skimp on this.

We're still using the Felco loppers we bought in 1988. In fact, they're still on the original blades.

Jeri

• caldonbeck
    11 years ago

third vote for felco - I can't say that I can keep the blades good for 25 years though lol

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

well yes, I also have Felcos BUT, they do not have a ratchet and there is a limit to the size of cuttable stems (although I resort to a good Japanese pruning saw for thick cuts). My Felcos have been in continual use for 18 years and still have the original blades (although they look extremely basic compared to some of the modern loppers with ratchets and fat ergonomic handles and so on). Maybe you should look at some of the good pullsaws - mine is a Silky Gomtaro and I also have a long pole saw (Hayuchi) which did, however, cost a packet.

• buford
    11 years ago

I bought a pair of Fiskars ratchet lopers years ago. I still use it and only sharpen it occasionally. It does a great job on roses and even tree limbs up to 3 inches. And it wasn't expensive.

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Campanula, thanks for your suggestions. I have a number of pull saws. My favorite is a Japanese pruning saw with double sawing edges with different TPI's. But they do not substitute for a racheting lopper. In any case for anything larger than 3-4 inches thick, I have an electric Porter & Cable reciprocating saw. I have everything I need for pruning but I really miss my rachetter!

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

Ok, then take a look at the TrailBlazer loppers
    TBL 24 JRA - they are anvil, not bypass though.
    Lucky you - I WANT a good reciprocating saw too.
    Fiskars are OK (ish) as are Spear and Jackson - Don't get on with Wilkinson Sword though. Avoid Draper but I also think Corona tools can be decent.

Didn't even know there was a tools forum - must avoid as I can drop substantial amounts of money on tools.

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Campanula, thanks. Looked at Spears and Jackson, and Trailblazer. They look like just what I need. The prices on Amazon are a little pricier than Lee Valley's though, but definitely worth looking at! Thanks again.

• cactusjoe1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just found out that Lee Valley Tools lopper is actually a Trail Blazer. Problem solved - will get one of those!

• johnschw
    11 years ago

Several years ago I purchased a bypass lopper at Walmart (I believe they were made by Garden Way), and was very disappointed. The blades had a tendency to bend and wedge the branch between then. Finally, one handle broke off, and they would not replace it.
    I tried a couple other brands, with similar results. Finally, I purchased a Fiskars model 9132 bypass lopper (28" handles) and found a tool that actually worked as it should! It will cut branches up to 2' in diameter without too much effort, and the blades do not bend. I have used it for a couple of years now, and it is showing some signs of wear, but still cutting good (if I keep it sharpened). Last Fall, I ordered another one of the same model, just to have a backup. So far, I have not needed it!

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

Yeah, Fiskars are OK - I have their long handled deadheaders (called snappers).
    Still always rate Felcos as long as you are not needing ratchet ones.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Not Loppers, but Costco has in some pruners that look EXACTLY like Felcos -- even to having the extra parts. It's a set of two pruners, one larger and one smaller.

Will they last as long as Felcos?
    I don't know -- but at $25. for a set of two pruners, they're sure worth a try.

Jeri

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Jeri, I was so sad last year, I was going to buy a set and a gardening company must have beat me to the store and bought out the entire supply.

I got mom and I a set this year, I still want the rotating handle felco, but with a big garden and a ton of places to loose clippers-the costco price was too good to turn down.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz