Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Input on Berlina (HT)

dublinbay z6 (KS)
11 years ago

Does anyone know anything about the yellow HT called Berolina? It is supposed to be very disease resistant and is fragrant

I tried searching the Gardenweb rose forums but could find nothing about it. However, HMF rates it very highly, and when I tried a google search, I did get an older gardenweb rose forum posting with a lovely picture (see link below).

It is available at Palatine Roses and maybe Pickering. I haven't really checked yet if there are other places or not.

Sure would like some updated info. on it.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow rose

Comments (25)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry about the mis-spelling in the title. BEROLINA is the correct spelling.

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Should I take it that no one knows anything about Berolina? My orginal question seems to be getting ready to slip of page 1 before long. Sure wish I could get more info. before deciding whether or not to order it.

Kate

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

This is a copy of what I wrote another hybridizer about my Berolina X William Baffin cross.

His question: "Why are you pleased with the Berolina x Baffin sdg--aside from its being from a cross of a yellow with some pretty hardy stuff? Is Berolina pretty hardy? Does it repeat well? ----------."

My reply: "My Baffin repears well all summer. It is great. Berolina has large yellow flowers, is disease free, and is relatively hardy. I would like a yellow William Baffin.
    Henry Kuska, retired"
    ----------------------------
    I can add that like many large flowered hybrid teas it takes time to produce large full blooms so it did not repeat too often (from memory).

According to my 1998-1999 results it also set a hip with Illusion pollen. C:\Documents and Settings\Henry Kuska\My Documents\My Webs\rosehips98-99.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: EveryRose.com reader ratings

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    11 years ago

It's one I'm considering, too. I don't know a thing about her, but she looks nice. I've seen Elina in person, so I may go with her (really pretty), but Berolina looks lovely.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    11 years ago

If Berlina and Selfridge are the same, maybe people know it as Selfridge. Do ask the people at Palatine about the rose. They are very helpful.

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

"Robert, I forgot to add Selfridges. I have three seedlings of it in my test spots this year. They are all Selfridges x Freedom. Selfridges is very healthy and sets seed easily. However, it is not a super strong yellow which is why I never suggested it. It has nice form, though! It's major flaw, in my opinion, is the lack of good branching habit. It is 8' tall by September.

Also, you may look for Aalsmer Gold. It is bred from Selfridges and has apparently been used as a female parent before."

H. Kuska comment: The above is from the Rose Hybridizers Link given below. At that link you will have to do 2 searchs, one with each name to see all the comments, but the above is (I think) the main one concerning garden growth.

Here is a link that might be useful: RHA thread

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Henry, for tracking down that additional info about Berolina/Selfridge. That is very helpful.

How about fragrance? The few googled references I looked at didn't quite agree. One said strong and sweet, for instance, but a couple others just said mild -- which usually means most people can't smell it.

Meredith--I have Elina--big, hefty plant, managed to keep on blooming (barely) through our terrible triple-digit summer when other stalwarts finally went dormant (from heat exhaustion!). To me Elina is more a creamy blend with pale lemon yellow centers. She's a great plant--in fact I have 3 of her. Oh, she has terrible thorns.

I was looking at Berolina as a more (hopefully) yellow rose, although she fades in the heat, but seems prolific enough that she displays a combination of bright gold/yellow blooms, creamy-yellow blends, and creamy-white--I thought it was a quite attractive combination in the few pictures I could locate. Berlina also looks like it has much longer stems for each rose--gives a much more vertical emphasis to the overall appearance of the plant. But of course all I know is what I've seen in a few pictures, so . . . .

I think you would do well with either one, Meredith.

Kate

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Kate, I am a retired chemist. My ability to smell was lost many, many years ago. Sorry.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    11 years ago

Well thank you for the Elina info! I really need a yellow there, for this certain spot. I had an old, old HT there but it's not the spot for that, turns out. Oops :)

• HonorRose
    11 years ago

if a rose is disease resistant in your zone please dont tell others that it's disease resistant I have this rose and it's its mostly covered in black-spot but the blooms are very nice

ps i dont think there is a such a thing as a disease resistant HT

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks anyway, henry.

Honor, sorry to hear about your bad experience. What zone do you live in? Are you telling me that you, like me, live in Zone 6 in the midwest and therefore I should be concerned about this rose NOT being disease-resistant in my garden?

Personally, I never confuse "disease-resistant" with "disease-free"--which is probably why I don't get as disappointed with a rose as you do. My HTs are fairly good on disease-resistance--not excellent, but fairly good--and rate about the same as any number of modern and old rose shrubs I also have in my garden. If I were bothered by HTs, I just wouldnt' grow them, but I also like HTs--and my Red Intuition and Memoire, for instance, have had maybe three BS spots on them this entire growing season. I don't see why I should consider that a problem.

Kate

• HonorRose
    11 years ago

hmm yeah i did confuse disease-resistant" with "disease-free"
    sorry

i'm in zone 6B but my rose had BS when i bought it the last one they had left so i didnt really have a choice

vigorous grower tho 5-6 ft tall already and strong fragrance

good luck with yours

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

HonorRose, I am not sure which rose you are referring to, Elina or Berolina?

• HonorRose
    11 years ago

i'm talking about Berolina

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

HonorRose do you remember who you purchased it from? I ask because maybe the rootstock or virused versus non virused has something to do with yours not having blackspot resistance.

• HonorRose
    11 years ago

i bought it from LOWES

• HonorRose
    11 years ago

want me to post a pic of the plant?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If you purchased it from Lowes, anything is possible--from very good to bad. However, if you bought it diseased, you would need to do a lot of work to get it back to health--which would probably include a lot of spraying it with a fungicide like Bayer Garden Disease Control for Roses, Flowers, and Shrubs--and it might take all season to get it functioning in a healthy way again.

My advice in the future is, if you are going to buy from Lowes, only buy roses that look really healthy and vigorous. That will save you a lot of headaches.

Kate

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Thank you,HonorRose, do you remember who the supplier listed on the tag was. I checked Help-Me-Find and there were very few U.S. suppliers listed.

• HonorRose
    11 years ago

here you go bud you cant see much black spot in the picture because i pruned most the infected leaves but u can tell by the skinny stems and i keep getting blind shoots

{{gwi:330507}}

{{gwi:330508}}

{{gwi:330509}}

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Thank you HonorRose. The patent number 4972616 does not make any sense to me. A google search of BKH0015 and of CU2405B with the word rose did not find anything related to Berolina. Can anyone else explain what is happening?

• HonorRose
    11 years ago

other then the blackspot and blind stems not a bad yellow

• HonorRose
    11 years ago

second picture

• HonorRose
    11 years ago

oops..second picture

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pics, honor.

I still predict that after you have it growing well in your garden that you will find most of your BS problems have disappeared. You bought it when it had the "flu," as it were, so it demonstrated "sick" symptoms. A healthy, recovered Berolina should not have those problems.

Kate

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County