Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annececilia

Year in review: A winner, surprise and...Meh.

The summer people have gone home now that Labor Day has passed, school is back in session, and a few trees are definitely turning red - the early harbingers of the Fall Color season. I'm winding down the garden for the year and feeling a bit introspective and sad to know it will all be cut down with a frost at any time. As I walked around the garden tonight, there were some roses that really stood out. This is a revamped, revised and relocated garden in its first full season for everything I transplanted from the old house plus some new additions I couldn't resist ordering during the depth of our horrible last winter! Of my new roses from this spring, I just can't get over how wonderful the rose Julia Child is. This is a rose I chose because of all the great things I read about it, and also I chose it because my Mother's name was Julia - and she was my favorite cook. ;-) This plant had a pleasing shape right from the start when it arrived in bloom from Chamblee's, it has skipped any awkward growing stage and has had not a lick of disease in my no-spray garden. The blooms have been abundant all season - and will continue it appears, as long as we don't get any frosts to spoil all the little buds waiting their turn. I really love JC's color, more buttery than the gold of Graham Thomas, less lemony than Kordes' Solero, it is a pleasingly rich shade. I must admit that I'm not completely sold on the anise scent, but I do love JC's looks and she's everything I read about and more.

My surprise comes from a sturdy new cane on my (transplanted last year) four year old Jude the Obscure which now towers over the rest of the plant at a full 5 feet tall. (Well, 5 ft. so far - it hasn't really topped out yet!) I'm sure it won't survive intact over winter, but it is amazing to see it right now. I've never had an Austin rose grow over 3' (well, maybe Heritage at 4') tall in my life growing roses in zone 4 as I did. Evelyn (also transplanted) is much, much taller than she's ever been before, with 5 fat four foot canes. And here I worried about making my garden in almost pure sand but perhaps it is that just a half zone warmer that does the trick?

But of course, there always seems to disappointment somewhere - and that would be two new roses I regret adding to the garden: Golden Celebration, which as been weak and black spotty and stingy with bloom, and Kordes' Purple Rain, which is NOT purple in the least and is not self-cleaning, with icky brown petals that hang on in clusters forever and must be pruned off. No disease, I'll give it that, which is why I chose it - but otherwise a great disappointment. And then there is Bullseye, which the rose chafers seemed to love far more than I do. It has sadly been a 'blah' addition to the garden when I thought it would be so interesting. First every bloom it set was chewed to pieces before they could open, and then it sulked all summer. Now it is putting out a few new flowers but since It was planted in front of (and is completely upstaged by) the rugosa Polareis, which was equally mobbed by the chafer beetles this spring but has emerged for a glorious end of the season bloom, I don't even pay attention to poor little Bullseye. Perhaps it needs to be moved in spring to spot where it can shine on its own...presuming that it will shine as it matures.

There is another word I forgot in the title of this post and that is SCARY!! I planted a rambler Geshwind's Schonste in a corner by one of the patio posts, intending to wind it up the column (which has already been accomplished now in year two of it's new home) and also tying more of its 8 to 12' canes along the fence going outward. But Holy Moly, it is shooting out canes and laterals and more canes and loooong laterals left and right and right and left until I'm not sure how I will keep up with all the tucking and tying in that it requires! Now of course I will have to wait and see how many of these new canes come through the winter ahead but then I will have to decide how to proceed. If it is as hardy as I hope it might be now that we're in zone 5, I may have to abandon the idea of it being within the fenced garden and transplant it to the back of the yard where it can scramble up in the pines and over the shed, if that's the monster it wants to be!

One thing I have learned this year is that after all these years of growing so many different roses, it can still be interesting and challenging. I think I've had just about every bug that could possibly eat roses show up in my yard this year, LOL. I've hand picked those I could and ignored those I couldn't and just kept weeding and watering. And there are moments when I have to stop and admire that one perfect bloom, or take a deep whiff of the floral scent I love above all others - and I think how lucky I am. I may be getting older, but my love of roses never does. It's been a good year.

Comments (11)

• boncrow66
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Annacecelia, how wonderful that you get to have a actual fall season. I'm from Texas and we joke we only have two seasons, hot and hotter lol. I planted Julia Child this year too and I am loving her so far. She just keeps growing and blooming, I can't wait to see her spring flush. I also planted Evelyn and golden celebration this year and Evelyn has done very well for me. GC had been ok, he shot out two 5 ft canes and I decided to let him climb and he has grown laterals and bloomed at the top but his bottom looks shabby but I am hoping next spring there will be new growth and he will fill out. Sounds like you have a lovely garden, hope you don't have as harsh a winter this year.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Happy that JC has worked out well for you. Here it is also an excellent performer. GC takes time to get going, you might want to be patient, but it does get BS even here where BS is rare.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

What a wonderful journal of your rose season! It all sounds lovely. I have to agree with you about JC. I've had mine for 4 years now and she's wonderful and she should be quite hardy for you. Do give GC some time to settle in. Mine took several years to really get going. And yes, it does black spot and is slower than some others to repeat but when it blooms it's gorgeous and smells divine! I have both Eyeconic Pink Lemonade and Bulls Eye and I like EPL much better. I think you're right that BE is sort of blah looking. I think we would all love to see some pictures of your beautiful roses!

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Golden Celebration, here, was a fast-starter when budded, and a slow starter on its own roots. (It WILL get there, but can shake your faith.)

Here, blackspot CAN hit it, but it's really quite rare. Still ... I think I'd hesitate to recommend it to anyone in a heavy blackspot environment.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I would love to see someone's mature golden celebration. Does anyone have a pic of a mature one?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Jeri has a great photo of hers as a tall hedge

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

AC, I too have Schonste. Boy, is that a rose or what???? Move it while you can! : )
    Seriously, it's unstoppable and with those prickles and the fact that it is a once bloomer, it has been banished to the back of the garden. It's beautiful though.
    Surprises for me have been lots of Austins I've tried this season. Pleasant surprises. I'd always purchased them own root and they've been so slow to grow and I'm getting older…..on rootstock they are amazing. Grace, Tamora, Pat Austin, Anne Boleyn, Charles Darwin, Jubilee Celebration, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Princess Anne…they are all fantastic and healthy enough here in my no spray garden. The most beautiful of all is his The Lark Ascending….almost continuous beautiful, gossamer blooms.
    Another wonderful surprise has been finding a love for vintage HTs…The Doctor, Radiance, Betty Uprichard, Irish Fireflame, Irish Elegance, Bonnie Jean, Betty….I love these roses so much. The blooms blow quickly but the repeat is some of the best!
    The meh? The same old disease ridden modern HTs that I think I can grow no spray. Nope. Complicata and some of the gallicas just don't thrive here. Didn't do much and then looked nasty all summer…
    I wish you a long and bloom filled Indian Summer and hope frost will stay away!
    Susan

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the comments and info, everyone. I will be patient with Golden Celebration, really I will. But I do wish I could trade Bullseye for the Eyeconic Pink Lemonade or Pomegranate Lemonade - I may just have to do that, LOL!

I know I should have photos to post, but I've been so busy working on this garden this year I really haven't stopped to take any pictures of the garden as a whole. Shame on me. I'll try to take a few shots this weekend and post them....after I pull some weeds and deadhead, of course! :-)
    Anne

• ehlerslw
    9 years ago

this summer has been a mix of good and bad. I also planted two Julia child roses. one is doing really well it has bloomed all summer and grown atleast a foot since I planted it. the other is slow to take off it has only grown a little and has been a black spot magnet. I lost the strike it rich rose I tried it just fell apart and just died. the two new double knockouts are doing ok but have not really done anything since spring.

• susan4952
    9 years ago

GC..one of the best in zone 5.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG, Susan- that is a beautiful photo. I'll gladly wait a few years if my GC would look like that.
    So I didn't have a chance to take any photos over the weekend, but as I was cleaning up after lunch today, I looked out my kitchen window and thought what a pretty view it was - and very representative of my mix of shrubs, roses, daylilies and other perrenials. It was taken through the screen, so please forgive the bit of fuzzyness.
    {{gwi:330688}}
    And straight on as the fairy is looking, the tall canes are Evelyn. Never thought to see her so tall! If she manages to open any blooms at the ends of those canes before frost, I won't have to bend over to take a sniff of her delightful perfume, will I? ;-)