Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Lilac Rose...what the heck???

greenhaven
14 years ago

I re-checked HMF to verify heights for this rose. Yup, 3-4' given there. My Lilac Rose's new basals are at six feet, a couple of them, and quickly approaching that, most of the rest. And last winter found it with little dieback at all. This is only the SECOND year for it...what will happen in it's 'leap' year? :o/

So, what gives? Do I have a rogue plant? A mis-identification? Brought a bloom to BrotherCadfael/Rob when we were plant-swapping, and we confirmed Lilac Rose. Help??? If it is going to continue to grow like this it must relocate. It is already WAY to tall for it's spot!

Comments (7)

• jerijen
    14 years ago

In my SoCal garden, I don't think it got over 3 ft. tall.

Jeri

• pauline-vi-8
    14 years ago

Greenhaven, I would love to see a picture of it. I have given up trying to purchase a Lilac Rose, though I badly would like one.

I find that St. Swithun is often sold as Lilac Rose. It happened to me twice and ten years apart and from suppliers 3000 miles apart.

I have had lots of correspondence and pictures sent back and forth because of this.

I can give you two here, if you like. First I would like to see a shot of yours. If possible.

Anyone who knows where I can get hold of a true Lilac Rose will be my friend forever.

Cheers!
    Pauline - Vancouver Island

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmm...I think I have St. Swithun after all. "greg" at helpmefind had this to say abot his:

"There is nothing shy about this rose its very vigorus and reached full potential in 2 years shooting up large canes with little effort. I'm going to move it to the back of the rose bed where it can be as loud as it want to be."

However. Mine does NOT have a strong fragrance, ever. It is sofy and talcum-y, pleasant but certainly not strong. Even my Windermere has a stronger scent.
    Pauline, I will take some new photos today, and share a couple bloom photos.

Thanks so far.

{{gwi:293085}}

{{gwi:293086}}

{{gwi:330765}}

{{gwi:330766}}

• pauline-vi-8
    14 years ago

As promised!

This picture taken from the net is what I believe to be the true Lilac Rose
    {{gwi:330767}}

I must say in closing here, that I checked HMF again on Lilac Rose, and I was amazed by the pictures. I did before when I had my puzzlement:) But this time, I could see more clearly, the pictures posted which are the true Lilac Rose and there ones, mostly posted by the same person were to me, definitely St. Swithun...................sooooooooooooo, how do we fix it, Ho-Hum!!!!!!!

Pauline

Labelled rose from grower in Ontario, "Lilac Rose" which was soon to be believed as St. Swithun. Because I already had three SS at this point I knew by it's habit and the cluster and shape of the buds that it was going to be St. Swithun, before it bloomed. Yup, I was disappointed.

......But you know, My St.Swithun Roses have never before been so good or even since as they were that year. The colour was stronger, on the buds as well as the flowers.

That was not the case this year. Though we have had an amazing summer, it is hard to figure out these roses. Maybe humidity!! upset them, but flowers were paler and buds paler too and a lot of balling. The year the pics were taken was a particularly good year for this rose, (for whaterver reason). I hope it will happen again soon. My pictures that year of St. Swithun were just about the best of any of my other rose pictures!
    {{gwi:330768}}

{{gwi:330769}}

{{gwi:330770}}

{{gwi:330771}}

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mine have had a heck of a time with botrytis and balling this year, too. I am pretty convinced mine is a mis-ID. now I have another plant to move in the Spring. *sigh*

• pauline-vi-8
    14 years ago

Sorry sweetie, but when it SS is good, it is very, very goo :)

Don't give up on it yet!
    Pauline

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I agree! :o) It IS still a newly planted bush, so it will get some time. Those blooms can be intoxicating. but it IS way too tall for it's space. And it was a very cool, very wet summer for us. Hefty helpings of botrytis all around.