Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberroses

Rose Scents

amberroses
9 years ago

These are some highly subjective questions, I know but....

1. What is your strongest smelling rose? Mine is Jude the Obscure.

2. What is your personal favorite rose scent? Mine is Heritage. It's not the strongest, but I love the complex notes my nose picks up.

3. What roses smell different than any other rose you've smelled? Scent outliers? I'd say Port Sunlight, Sister Elizabeth, and Liv Tyler/Souvenir de Mal Malmaison. I list both Liv Tyler/Souvenir de Mal Malmaison together because to my nose they smell the same.

Comments (9)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

1. This one is difficult to answer because often the scent of very fragrant roses can be lacking due to varying conditions I can't explain. Last one I was impressed by was Rouge Royale. I would have stated Rouge Royale is the most strongly scented rose ever a month ago! But before that I was sure it was Eugene de Beauharnais, and before that Yves Piaget, etc. Does anyone else observe such paradox? Eugene de Beauharnais seems to always have a scent but not always strong but can get very intense in the right conditions

2. Its a tie between Out of Yesteryear and Benjamin Britten. They both have a peachy fruity note to my nose.

3. I've never smelled a rose like Windermere with its lemongrass-like scent. Maybe there exists many similar scented roses but I've never encountered a scent like it in all the rose nurseries I've been to.

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

1. if nose in, then: Ebb Tide
    Nose Out: SDLM or Cecile Brunner

a. Francis Dubreuil
    b. Ebb Tide
    c. Dolly Parton

3. Evelyn (I miss him; you didn't specify that we still grow it, did you?)

• lorrihz
    9 years ago

Hmmmm....most strongly scented in my garden is probably Golden Celebration.

My favorite? a second vote for Heritage. It is my favorite rose for scent as well as beauty. Just stunning!

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I love the way my Heritage smells too! My sniffer can't smell certain roses but the ones it can smell and is probably my favorite is my Sunsprite and my pink Don Juan, they both smell like a rose should to my nose. I also love the way SDLM smells. I wish Evelyn and golden celebration had a stronger smell for me but I can only smell them very faintly early in the morning.
    My Seven Sisters wafts for me in the spring, when it is in it's first spring flush my whole back yard smells delicious!

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

. What is your strongest smelling rose?
    MEMORIAL DAY

2. What is your personal favorite rose scent?
    PARADISE FOUND - swoon

3. What roses smell different than any other rose you've smelled?
    PARADISE FOUND - I wish everyone could smell this rose. I can't even describe the scent.

• amberroses
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The diversity of nose sensitivities is very curious. All the roses everyone listed smell good and strong to me, but my nose doesn't agree with the categories that some were assigned to. I can't usually detect tea scents very well at all.

I can never imagine some of the more colorful scent descriptions in the catalogs like this one from Kordes...."An airy impression of fresh apples in the garden after a summer rain resides in the round anthodia, accompanied by the rather soft base note with a light, dulcet sweetness and a classic rose bouquet."

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Yeah, that's a bit too much!!! Very similar to wine bouquet descriptions. :)
    Carol

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Strongest to my nose - Ebb Tide

favourite scent - Barbra Streisand/Papa Meilland/Frederic Mistral/Fire Fighter

Different Scent - Chartreuse de Parme/Big Purple

• SoFL Rose z10
    8 years ago

Strongest for me is Oklahoma. Not my favorite scent, it's so heady and strong. But absolutely the strongest.

Mr Lincoln is another very strongly scented rose that I find has a similar scent

Jude the obscure is my favorite scent. It has a delicious smell the I can just drink in all day. I never find it heavy or overpowering.

Tiffany is very nicely scented, similar to mr Lincoln albeit not as strong

Princess Alexandra of Kent is also a great one with a nice, sweet scent, perhaps similar to Jude, but not as strong.

Belinda's dream has a nice fruity scent, somewhat like berries

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH