Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditas_gw

OSO-Easy Rose babies!

ditas
11 years ago

I thought this album I recently organized for lovers of yet another easy-care rose buses might be worth posting.

Some of my babes were over-wintered in huge pots sunk in ground until Apr 2012 when I set them in their permanent sites.

FWIW ~ TIA for viewing & any comments in the album.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finally!

Comments (5)

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Those are gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing.

Jackie

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Very nice roses and photography. Just keep adding more!

Ingrid

• Kathleen_Z
    11 years ago

Sorry my very late reply. Thanks for sharing the nice pictures.

Your "Strawberry Crush" is so pretty! The color is so vibrant! Mine was terrible. The color was very pale, probably under the hot sun... Now the stems are over two feet long. Not a single flower! I am thinking to put a cheap tomato support around it and maybe it can grow into a "nice looking" bonsai! :-)

My Paprika is also very pale. Probably heard my complaints so much, finally has two/three flowers this week. Only last two days though!

The other three varieties you have are so beautiful. It is so attempting to get them all. Not sure if I can find them online. I got my OSOs from Park Seed. I dont see these roses in our local nurseries. (Probably I cannot pay the price for them even they were available. They sold DA for $39.99 plus almost 10% sales tax here.)

I will try to take a picture of my "cherry pie", if there are some flowers survive. My two-and-a-half year old boy loves to help me "dead heading". But he is collecting the potpourri and surely has good eyes to pick the best flowers. All summer he has pick every single rose on my Eden. Big sigh...

• ditas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kathleen ~ $40+ is much, too much ~ if you are interested in acquiring very reasonable OSO Easy young plants ~ contact Karl Bapst the Rosenut - ARS Consulting Rosarian in IN via email rosenut@rosenut.com. Google his site as well ~ I got my 10 OSO E babies from him last year.

Now that it has finally cooled down w/ only occasional daytime highs of 90s+ all of them are taking off. Beacause they are still young their stems still tend to arch from the weight of the sprays/clusters of blooms. I particularly favor Mango Salsa ~ so vibrant & festive & as I described quite an enthusiastic performer & compact in form. Honey Bun also is compact & a good bloomer w/ tight clusters but fade quickly!

I'm still wondering about Strawberry C ~ the only one of the cousins, not as good at showing off her stunning beauty ~ hopefully next season she will.

Peachy C's blooms sprays are not as tight as the others especially now that she has stretched out her limbs up to 4ft ~ again I'm sure in time, after the hard pruning come Spring. I also suspect her part/sun exposure may have to do w/ her leggy-ness ~ where as SC is leggy despite being in full/sun.

I'm quite pleased w/ Paprika's growth habit ~ quite compact under full/sun & not at all shy in showing off her perky, simple blooms, tho clusters not as tight as MS or SC & sheds off daily as next buds open up to replace. Can't wait how she'd be next season!

Isn't it fun when the younguns love to be helpers ~ my grand-dau was mine ~ even wished for & helped create a walk around a tree w/ brick tiles when she was merely 3 ~ neighbor kids love hopping around & around singing & playing kiddie band instuments!

• ditas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FWIW ~ just updating on the 10 OSO Easy in this piece of soil! Spring came quite late this season ~ consequently, so did all the blooming beauties around.

The very first of the now 3rd season pretties are the 3 Paprikas ~ flushed in abundance end of May!

The rest are now just starting. Strawberry C. first few seem paler than last Fall's production ~ however so loaded w/ buds. Will report back once the show is in full swing! Also shaped her wayward stems closer into a decent shape!