Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudhoney

Pickerings is gone!

mudhoney
9 years ago

I moved out into the country, and haven't been able to grow roses for several years. Now that I have a dog that drives off the deer, I can't wait to grow some. I've always thought of Pickerings as the creme-de-la-creme of rose selection--but they have just closed down! What would be the best back-up nursery for a good selection of the different types, mostly older and some newer, especially disease resistant? I just want to cry :(

Comments (7)

• catsrose
    9 years ago

where are you?

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

Oh no! That's a shame. I never shopped with them but I hate to hear of another nursery going under!. My two favorite places to find roses are Antique Rose Emporium and Heirloom. They both carry own root plants & sually I can find what I want between them & so far I have gotten nothing but great plants from both of them. Roses Unlimited also has a very large selection, but you have to call or email to find out what is in stock or to place an order, which is a little less convenient, also they are done shipping until next spring where as the two afore mentioned companies ship through now through the winter. RU does have some hard to find beauties that may or may not be worth waiting for, depending on your location (shipping cost) and time frame. Heirloom ships year round and ARE only stops for a few months during the heat of summer. There are a few more that I have never used that I'm sure others will chime in and suggest. I will say that the website "help me find" has been extremely helpful when trying to locate which nurseries stock a certain hard to find rose. Just look up your rose, got to the far right to the "buy from" tab, scroll down to the bottom and click show all, and there you are! I hope you find what you are looking for!

Jessica

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

I have hopes that Pickering is just a one year stop to regroup after the death of the founder and the recent border unpleasantness.

Pickering DOES have growing fields and if they can master the ownroot rose business, I would be back buying from them in a heartbeat.

Palatine is a temporary alternative as they are continuing to produce roses on multiflora rootstock and I've read that they are adding more OGRs to their offerings to fill the void left by Pickering.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Palatine is still there, though. Good vendor.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

The loss of Pickering Nurseries would be a sad loss indeed!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Pickering going own-root would be a sad loss.

There are an awful lot of roses that are pretty much ungrowable in the north without a rootstock to push them. IME, that includes everything that usually suffers cane dieback over the winter. So if everybody goes own-root, there will be a major cutback in what can be grown where, and a lot more roses will not be available commercially because they can't sell enough of them.

• mudhoney
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just put in a good-sized order (12 plants) with Heirloom Roses. I like the selection there (what isn't sold out yet!), and being in the PNW, I figured the roses would do well with shipping, etc..I'm also thinking that own-root is the way to go now if the climate isn't too cold. I'm a bit nervous because I've never gotten the band pots before--are they going to be tiny? They are going directly in the garden with cages around them (lovely, huh?). Super excited to have roses again!