Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwayzbgrateful

Are these homegrown or Florist roses?

Alwayzbgrateful
10 years ago

Hello again all, today grandma got a beautiful delivery from California. One of our relatives sent a box of cut roses, claiming she cut them from her garden. Grandma now wants me to try and root them when the flowers fall. My problem is this family member is not exactly honest, and I don't know enough about roses to tell store bought from home grown. Either way (to please grandma)I'll at least try ,but roses never seem to wanna root for me. Any thoughts as to whether these are florist roses or not? Is it even possible to root these, or do these types need to be grafted? Thank you all !! Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!
âÂÂ¥Lyna

Comments (13)

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another shot of 'em. They're mostly light pinkish orange with cream stripes. The little guys in the background are more maroon with white stripes. The big ones are REALLY fragrant. We can still smell them when we're sittin on the front porch. It smells so nice :-)
    Lyna

• amberroses
    10 years ago

If they are fragrant they probably aren't florist roses :)

Florist roses tend to have long straight stems and thick petals. I can't tell from your pictures, but I'd guess they were homegrown.

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

My WORD those are pretty... I can't wait to see if someone knows what they are.

I wonder if the orange one is "Grace Donnelly."

This post was edited by racin_rose on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 0:59

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous roses. If you find out what they are, let us know, too. That orange-ish one is stunning. Diane

• rosybunny
    10 years ago

Florist types have super long (16"+) pencil-straight, unusually thick stems.

A photo of them in full length would provide a better feel for the knowledgeable folks here.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Florist roses probably wouldn't have those big clusters of unopened buds like that. They look home grown to me.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Did anyone figure out which rose this was?

I happened to find this link on FB this morning

Here is a link that might be useful: Downtown Abbey

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank u kippy for the link. Downtown abby does look a lot like this rose, but the article is pretty recent and my aunt (the one that said she's growin these gals) Said she couldn't remember the name because it had been so long since she had purchased it. If im not mistaken she said the only place she buys her rose plants is the flea market. Heres another pic with the bud completely open . Thanx again!!
    -Lyna

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Hmmm -- I've seen spray roses -- those little purple striped ones -- at Trader Joes in bundles, and I've never seen that small rose in any garden center, or I would have grabbed it.

I'm thinking those are bought, not homegrown.

If homegrown -- well then -- those are two striped roses that I don't have, and that's hard to do, cause I have most everything that's been released that was striped in the last ten or so years. The closest I have to the bigger one is our own sport of Berries N Cream that came out light like that. But your aunt would not have gotten that at a flea market.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow , I can't even begin to imagine how GORGEOUS your garden is kstrong! Grandma had a pretty impressive striped collection at one point also, it makes me wonder if my aunt got a cutting to root from one of grandmas. The reason being, she sent another bouquet (snail mail) and grandma was the only one I've ever seen with this particular rose. Grandma said it was the most nit-picky rose she ever grew. I'll post a pic of the other flower so y'all know what I'm talkin about.

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I think your relative isn't telling the truth. The pinky-coral looking one looks a lot like a florist rose called GELATO. I know one of the forum members (can't remember who) had rooted it from stems. I haven't been able to find it anywhere locally. And I think the maroon and white spray roses are probably ARROW FOLIES. I had gotten that one from Carlton's before they closed up. But unfortunately it died because I didn't know the sprinklers were missing it.

That last rose looks kinda like HOCUS POCUS. .

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do believe your right beth, I looked @ the pix of Gelato and Arrow follies, even Hocus Pocus they all look spot on! . I remember grandma having the red and yellow one, I'd say about 5 yrs ago. But haven't seen one like it since, especially not in your average , everyday garden. Thank you for help. Im not gonna say anything to grandma about it. But at least it wont hurt me as much when I fail @ trying to get these gals to root. Thanx again,
    -Lyna

• kstrong
    10 years ago

The yellow and red stripe is Hocus Pocus, aka Memphis Music. Memphis Music is the same rose, and is easily available commericially, but only as an own root small plant.

It is available at ForLoveOfRoses.com

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!