Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Certified Roses, Kordes, and pricing

roseseek
10 years ago

I don't know how long this will remain up before someone "fixes" it, but I found this and thought some might find it interesting. Certified is offering Kordes roses and other exclusives, which are sure to find their way to your local Lowe's and Home Depot, as well as some larger garden centers. What's fascinating is the PDF file from their catalog linked below which provides not only what varieties will be available, but how much they cost wholesale, including quantity pricing.

This address shows their potted and packaged rose pricing. Now you can compare these to the prices you find at your local store to see how much "profit" there is. Kim

Certified Roses potted and packaged roses pricing

http://www.certifiedrose.com/images/pkgpot.pdf

Certified Roses Wholesale Catalog

http://www.certifiedrose.com/catalog.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Certified Roses current bare root pricing

Comments (15)

• andreark
    10 years ago

That's a hoot Kim....My Kosmos is quite reasonable!

Good night,

andrea

• amberroses
    10 years ago

The order form was interesting. I hope my local stores get some of those.

Something that I hate at my local big box store is that they sell non-patented roses for $16 and they sell those same unlabeled varieties for $8. Double delight is $16 and unmarked double delight is $8. The $8 roses are 1/2 of their inventory and are not on sale or extras with lost labels. They appear to purposely remove the tags when they charge at the lower price point.

I understand they need to charge more for patented roses, but I don't think it is right to charge an extra $8 just to share the name of the variety with you.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

What I found interesting were the Knock Out prices. Seventy five cents!? I don't know if it was the case everywhere but KOs were priced HIGHER than the other roses at all my local nurseries this season. Most potted roses were going for between $16.00 and $20.00 dollars while the KO were any where from $25.00 to $30.00 dollars a piece. But they know people want them and they'll be able to sell them at that price.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Is this because so many don't sell or live that long and are thrown out so the store is trying to make money on the ones that do find a home?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Do they charge extra for the RMV infection?

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, Hoov! You're funny! Remember when they were taking the lead out of gasoline? The party line was gas would be cheaper because they wouldn't have to add lead. Once it became the standard, it was more expensive because they had to REMOVE the lead. I bet, if they cared enough to address the issue, it would result in higher prices.

The 75 cent price is for the Knock Out pots, the special Point of Purchase advertising ones which are specifically printed to say "Knock Out" on them, like the pink Flower Carpet pots. Knock Outs are priced "C" prices in the list above where you saw the 75 cent price, so they run (for bare root) between $6.10 and $4.70 each depending upon how many you order for Grade 1 plants. Grade 1.5 range between $5 and $3.75 depending upon quantity, PLUS the cost of the POP pots. Notice though, these are for REAL bare roots with no body bags or saw dust around the roots. Those prices are on the other price list with the potted rose prices. Kim

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Kim, that is very interesting. I always take a look through at Home Depot. One never knows.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Wonder how much metal collector tags cost?

• kstrong
    10 years ago

The metal collector tags used to be the way the patent holders kept track of the number of license fees (i.e, the patent fees) that they were paid. If a grower wanted to produce 500 knockouts, they bought 500 metal tags.

That's why you don't see metal tags hardly at all anymore -- it wasn't the cost of the tag, it was that the tag was evidence the license fee had been paid. The growers that actually pay the fees are fewer and farther in between now. It's almost impossible to police that.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Other business changes occurred, too. Initially, you paid royalties on plants which made it to salable units. Mr. Austin changed a lot of that by demanding and receiving payment for every bud used, whether it grew or not. Mini patent holders also sold pre printed plastic labels which were used as the metal tags were. Kim

• Kippy
    10 years ago

pssst was kidding about the tags

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have a bunch of those tags. I thought they were just a pretty decoration-- courtesy of David Austin mostly. I'm still getting them on roses I buy from my local greenhouse. I'll sell em cheap to any collector that wants them. Diane

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

So does Kordes actually get the $2.30 difference between a non patented/patented rose cost?

• nastarana
    10 years ago

Climbing Royal America is back in commerce!

I hope it shows up in a box near me.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know how much of the patent differential goes to Kordes and how much is Certified's profit, Gean. Kim

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022