Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henry_kuska

replacing knock-out roses - question

henry_kuska
10 years ago

I am not familar with this website. I decided to post it here so that we can follow what their "experts" say.

"Our subdivision of 176 homes was recently hit with rose rosette disease & the decision was made to pull out all of the bushes & destroy them. In your opinion, would you replace these with other multi-floral rose bushes or would you replace them with some other shrub or bush altogether? We live in the Kansas City area?

Asked about 9 hours ago

Johnson County Kansas

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer
What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible."

https://ask.extension.org/questions/158551

Here is a link that might be useful: link to question website

Comments (4)

• Thorntorn
    10 years ago

I believe its time to experiment. I do not know of a class or species of rose that is immune/resistant to rose rosette disease, but there could well be candidates for your replacement project.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

The decision to pull out ALL the roses seems a bit extreme. Why not get rid of the ones showing RRD symptoms, and then evaluate what is left. Then fill in with some new Knock Outs or alternate rose shrubs.

There is nothing inherent in KOs that make them susceptible to RRD. They are no more likely to get it than any other rose is.

What your subdivision should be doing is monitoring the roses more closely. Then the FIRST one to show RRD symptom gets spaded IMMEDIATELY. Chances are, none of the others will have any symptoms then. If you folks wait around until the RRD symptoms have spread to a bunch of roses, well, then you have a minor epidemic on your hands! But get rid of the "sick" ones. The ones that are left will NOT be sick--so don't throw them out.

And the next time you see any RRD symptoms, do something about it IMMEDIATELY--don't wait around while it spreads to other bushes also.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

Henry is just testing all of you.
    Henry, As you well know RRD there is no easy answer. I have seen it a lot this year and had it on one of my minis. I am recommending for the client to remove the bushes that are showing any sign of it. I saw it at the University Of Illinois display garden and found it there and it was bad! The Horticulturist that had that part of the garden didn't even know what it was till our Rose Society Members got there and found it. Because there is a Master Gardener rose garden there they took the roses out.
    To answer your question you know as well as I do there is no answer. I can have it and not see it again until two years later. It does not show up in the same area and it's always been on minis of all things!
    Why has it hit your neighborhood so hard, I guess the wind currents were right. My guess is replacing them right away would result in the same thing. I'm sure not all the plant trash was cleaned up or all the roots taken out.
    Yes I came over here after the shutdown!

• henry_kuska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I posted someone else's active thread, as I stated: "I decided to post it here so that we can follow what their "experts" say."

I live in Ohio.