Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

2013 rose season/2014 rose season

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

The 2014 season isn't quite over yet and I will have a few more roses that will be blooming. I've been thinking a lot about the differences between 2013 and 2014.

As I've stated before 2013 was pretty much a starting over year, with the exception of a few established roses I already had. In 2013 I planted a lot of roses. We had been in a drought here and I wasn't at all sure it was even a smart thing for me to try. In fact I had made sure I would be able to cancel an order just in case those conditions didn't improve, they did, so I didn't cancel. I planted the majority of my roses in two beds, with several in containers and a few others in various other places. My roses got a very good start in 2013 and bloomed remarkably well for the most part, and several of them grew a lot. Even though we are still in a drought, with conditions improving somewhat, last summer was a good summer here, so in that regard I was very fortunate. Seems like I had roses blooming all season, on any given day I could cut a bouquet and I took gobs of pictures. They bloomed good all season until frost.

2014 has been a mixed bag. My first two flushes were great, some of the roses from my first flush were the prettiest I've ever had. My second flush had some beauties too. My third and fourth flushes both have taken their time. Quite a few of my roses have shut down, I would say maybe about half of them have buds. Some of the healthiest looking bushes are the ones that aren't doing anything.

Overall I'm okay with 2014. I got to experience old garden roses actually being in full bloom for the first time and I loved that and look forward to more blooms in the future. I know we've had enough rain these past few months that most of my roses are doing okay, but would have done so much better if we had had substantially more rainfall. We've had water restrictions since early summer, so I haven't done much watering this year. I don't like to complain, because there are others who have had it much worse. I look forward to what I hope will be a great 2015 rose season and I hope I've learned something from my mistakes.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 9:19

Comments (13)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

My roses had a rather iffy year too. The hard hit from winter set most of them back severally so my first flush was late in June instead of May. It's been a wet year here with cooler than normal temps and much less sunshine than we usually have so I've had very slow and sporadic rebloom all summer. I know so many people would love to get some rain but we have had more than our share and my roses show it. Tons of black spot out there. I have some buds on them now but there is probably little hope that the majority will open before first frost and then it's time to put them to bed for the winter.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seems like it's either too much rain or not enough! I know when we start getting adequate rainfall I'll have a big problem with blackspot, but I think I would rather have too much rain than not enough, the cooler temps would make a difference too, but I usually don't have to worry about that. I wish there could just be a happy medium, where it would be perfect for everyone, lol! Even with these irritations I still love my roses though!

• mudhoney
    9 years ago

You might want to think about putting in a drip system for your roses, then you would not be so much at the mercy of the weather! Drip systems are much more efficient with water than hose watering, and don't promote diseases like overhead watering does. Short of that, a soaker hose is not bad.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

I had similar experiences. Like Seil I had a hard winter, lots of dieback, too much rain and cloud cover, so much BS, but some spurts of great roses blooming. Sara, last year I had more roses and could cut a bouquet whenever, not this year, about 1/3 less blooms. However, right now the bushes are looking good with chance of frost tonight. I plan on cutting this evening! I do think I had more fun growing and enjoying my roses this year than in the past.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I totally agree that I need a drip line system, hopefully I'll have something figured out by next season. Kentucky_rose, it did get very cold here last night too. Last year I had blooms until mid-November, I'm not sure about this year. While there have been some disappointments this year, overall I've enjoyed my roses. If you cut roses this evening I do want to see pictures!

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 15:11

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Sara, Last week when I tried to post some pictures I kept getting an error. I will take some pictures and try to post.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Sara, here they are.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Another view.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the pictures, they're gorgeous! Lots of beautiful bouquets!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Look at all those beautiful blooms! Wonderful bouquets.

Kate

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Sara and Kate, thanks and here's one arrangement from the roses.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

And here's the mini arrangement.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are so gorgeous! I think you have a magic touch with your arrangements, they're wonderful! This time last year I had some lovely ones, not so much this year, I do appreciate you sharing your beauties.