Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gentle Giant Rose

Posted by ogrose 8 DFW (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 0:46

I was given some blooms of these today, what a gorgeous rose!! Would like to know, do any of you grow it, what is your experience; how is disease resistance, etc.? This would be pretty much my first experience with a hybrid tea, have always grown the antique roses. I live in the Dallas/Ft worth area, and the foliage looked exceptionally healthy.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gentle Giant Rose

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 19:05

Gee, it looks like it's a lovely rose. Don't know why no one that grows it has answered you.

o

I don't grow either, however if I run across it somewhere i will buy it.

o

My Gentle Giant is a lovely rose. The growth rate is medium for a HT. Here it is disease free...no BS or Mildew. We have little mildew pressure here and no rust that i know of.
In my garden it receives shade from 3pm on. I fertilize with horse manure and manure tea. The bush is well fertilized with the above as it pushes out large blooms. The bloom cycle is approx. 3-4 per cycle.
But, please note that I live in Western Washington so I can't say how it would do for you...give it a try. Good luck
Jeannie

o

Thanks for your replies. I have ordered this rose from S&W Roses for delivery in February, just couldn't resist! It's weird how one gets excited about a new rose they haven't seen before. It is just so lovely decided I MUST have it!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here