Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margaretmerrill

fragrant red rose

margaretmerrill
9 years ago

I have a spot for one more rose, right on the edge of the patio, where anyone walking by can smell it. I want a tall red rose. I love Mr lincoln, but 2 have already died for me. I thought of several, but they are either too short or are not fragrant. I thought of William Shakespeare but hear it sprawls and would not make a good short climber. I read that Chrysler Imperial is not a good bloomer. I am thinking of Firefighter now. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (20)

• onafixedincome
    9 years ago

I was sure impressed by the scent of Oklahoma at the rose show last week...If you are a HelpMeFind member, you can sort on all kinds of criteria, but if you aren't, you can search by color and then go through the results looking for fragrance and size.

Good luck!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I have OK and I don't think it's terribly fragrant. Actually none of my reds are very fragrant. Legends has some but not what I'd call strong.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I walked into a Walmart garden center a few weeks ago and could inmediatley smell a rose and when I made it to the roses it was Oklahoma. The blooms were a gorgeous deep color and the fragrance is to die for, I loved the fact that the fragrance wafted.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I grow Oklahoma, and I love its beautiful dark red fragrant blooms--but mine has one defect--very slow on the re-bloom, especially when it is really, really hot.

On the other hand, if you are looking for good bloom and fragrance, there aren't many that fall into both categories, and if you add disease-resistance, your selections become even more severely limited.

Oklahoma is above average on bs-resistance--in my garden anyway.

Good luck in your search.

Kate

• margaretmerrill
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I`d love to have Ok but help me find lists it as for zone 7b and higher. I live in zone 6b, in the Nevada desert where it does get hot and dry in the summer. I have never even seen blackspot! I think that is why Mr. Lincoln, Just Joey, and Double Delight do not survive winters here, they just can`t take cold winters. So I am back to wondering about Firefighter.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I am in zone 6 and OK winters fine for me in an unprotected bed on the west side of my house. It gets all the prevailing winds and some road salt too. It came back like a champ even last awful winter. Go back to HMF and look on the garden tab for OK and you'll see it grows in a lot of zone 6 gardens.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I don't think you need to worry that much about the zone 7 rating for Oklahoma. There are enough people growing it in Zone 6, even in Zone 5--you should be able to also. Just make sure it is well-mulched for winter.

However, Firefighter is a bright red--big and beautiful also--but I must admit I'm particularly attracted to the dark red--nearly black red in some temps--of Oklahoma. Besides, if I remember correctly, FF is not fragrant and it might be somewhat susceptible to BS. (But check with someone else on that to make sure.)

Kate

• blocke19
    9 years ago

Out of all my red roses, the winner for bloom, repeat and most of all scent is Chrysler Imperial, hands down. It never stops! And sailed right through that horrible winter last year with just mulch and straw protection. All three (!) of mine are grafted, I just buried the graft a bit.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I think you should consider 'Gruss an Teplitz', an oldie but goodie. If you get it as an own-root band, you will want to push it to grow its first season by coddling it in a pot, feeding it often with organics, before planting it in the ground in Autumn.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Gruss an Teplitz' at HelpMeFind

• Just_One_Nerve_Left
    9 years ago

I'm up in Boise, so kinda sorta similar-ish climate. Very alkaline soils. Low natural water and wide temperature ranges throughout the year.

The local rose garden has Firefighter, and it smelled nice and had good form and color in my opinion. It was definitely in the top shortlist of strong and fragrant roses of the couple hundred varieties there. I did two nose tests around 5:30 at night in the end of July and the middle of October. It has a few bloom each time. The one in the garden is pretty small in size but that could be due to a dozen different things, but could be an indicator to its typical size in this climate.

The garden didn't have the other famous reds for comparison.

I plan to get Firefighter though based on my internet searches and reading over HelpMeFind/roses.

Considering how dry our climates tend to be, disease tends to be less of an issue versus bugs/heat kinds of environmental issues.

• jaxondel
    9 years ago

Almost everyone yearns for a healthy & productive red, red rose with classic form and overpowering fragrance. Almost everyone is ultimately disappointed . . . sorely disappointed .

This post was edited by jaxondel on Fri, Oct 24, 14 at 21:43

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

The blooms on my Firefighter are not heat tolerant. I get high 90s to low 100s for three months during the summer. All of FF's blooms crisped within hours of opening. I have no shade in my garden and am gardening in an arid climate.

The plant is solid and worth growing. It's possible that if you can give it afternoon shade, it may work for you. Personally, I have my doubts if you will be happy with the blooms, if you get significant heat.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• kans
    9 years ago

Papa melliand does well for me.. Very nice perfume,and dark red.. I don't have firefighter but have heard good things about it..

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Have you ever grown Fragrant Cloud? It almost always wins the Fragrance class at our club's show, in zone 5. It is the first one I plant, when I move.

• margaretmerrill
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I decided in the spring I will get an own root Oklahoma from Heirloom. I hope it will thrive.

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    9 years ago

I grow and Heirloom Roses own root Oklahoma and an Angel Gardens grafted Fire Fighter. I love both. Fire Fighter has more blooms and, to me, has a strong fragrance. Oklahoma is a drop dead dark red, with a strong fragrance. Ok loses its HT bud form quickly, but I still love the color. FF is definitely more disease resistant.

• Socal2warm
    9 years ago

Red colored roses tend to have less, or only moderate fragrance, unfortunately. I agree with the OP, Mr. Lincoln is the first rose that comes to mind. Chrysler Imperial is fairly fragrant though, typical rose-like scent, and a vigorous grower too.

This post was edited by Socal2warm on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 17:51

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    9 years ago

I've grown a couple of different Oklahomas with no success. I loved the fragrance, but the plants have always been weak. The fact that this is an ownroot plant worries me, as many of the Hybrid Teas that I have grown ownroot have been similarly weak. Around here, many Hybrid Teas are more vigorous when grafted.
    I have had good success with Papa Meilland (own root), and Mr Lincoln (grafted), and Firefighter (both own root and grafted. All three are tall, and powerfully fragrant. But if you want a short, fragrant, Red climber, I have read good things about Don Juan. I have not grown it myself.
    It would be good for you to talk to some rose growers in your area, as that seems to be a major factor regarding success. Certain varieties do better in certain climes.
    Good luck with the Oklahoma, it really does smell terrific!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    9 years ago

Does Royal William do well in your area? You might have a look at that one.