Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Wonderful Fall Flush for Huntington Roses

kittymoonbeam
10 years ago

The weather has been cooler and I have been getting some good looking roses so when I heard Santa Ana winds were coming, I went to the Huntington. Woo Hoo they are having just about the best fall flush ever. The roses look great. All the leaves in good health with plenty of flowers everywhere. Some of the bushes were covered but almost every plant had something to see. The Antiques made some great growth this year and are looking fine. It should be a great spring for them next year. Roses are moving in next door into the perennial garden and are looking good. That garden always looked a little confused to me but the roses are helping give it a lift. But the main rose garden is completely transformed. Everything looks so good right now. It looks like spring.

In other news, the front of the Huntington is all torn up. Big fences, equipment and trees in boxes during construction of the new entrance area. Feels very strange not to have the familiar path through the trees to the entrance anymore. But the new temporary entrance walkway has a happy row of roses so all in all it was a lovely rosy afternoon with clouds and sun and cool breezes.

Comments (22)

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

La Marne

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lady Ann Kidwell

I love this shape!

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tournament of Roses and the gardens

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking west

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You can see how healthy and full the antiques are now. So many of these had at least a few flowers and a number of them were having a good fall show.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will put up some pictures on the gallery of individual flowers

Here is Jasper who I liked very much in spring and still think is very cute.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing your day with us and providing these bright and lovely photos. I was happy to see Colette looking so good. I've been growing mine for a year and have been very pleased. My gardening friend who toured the Huntington last February, when not as much was going on, will also be happy with your news about the roses. Diane

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Looks great, Kitty! I am jealous you have such an immaculate rose garden so close to you! It makes me antsy with excitement for the Farmers' Branch 'Celebration of Roses' event in a few weeks!

Josh

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello night owls! It's fun to see roses you don't have at home. Also, there is a wonderful sculptor restoring the branch shaped supports. He is so talented and is putting all his skill and time into these to make them look like interesting old branches full of texture and detail. It's nice that they are having these restored by an artist because the supports he has completed/ is working on now are really beautiful to look at.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Thank you Kitty! Celine is so pretty! Do you know much about the care of the roses at the Huntington? Do they spray? Organic fertilize?
    Everything looks "fresh".
    Susan

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I don't know a thing about the care of the roses there. They must be removing spent flowers all the time and adding mulch through the year. This is all I can see from my visits there in 2013

Here is one of my favorites from the climber arches. High Society with some amazing clusters of huge beautiful bright flowers.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is as close as my camera would do of this wonderful rose The dark pink is really stunning and rich. My camera is showing it too light and warm.

• dragoonsers
    10 years ago

Nice to see! Thanks for sharing.

H

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

The garden looks great. Thanks for sharing the photos. I was there the 22nd and didn't even make it to the rose garden. Enthralled instead by the Lotus pods.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Beautiful!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

Beautiful-thanks!

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A banner showing the new look for the entrance.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Nice tour, Kitty!

• amandahugg
    10 years ago

Tom Carruth gave a presentation on this at the Orange County Rose Society last week. He's the new curator of the rose garden at Huntington sinced his retirement from Weeks (about a year and a half). Some of the changes looked fantastic. The garden is no-spray and all organic.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Fantastic tour Kitty! Thanks for sharing! :-)

• strawchicago z5
    last year
    last modified: last year

kittymoonbeam I love your tour of that rose garden in CA. Dark pink bloom is my favorite color, and Jasper and High Society are amazing!! Collette has such a deep vibrant color.