Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjrosaphile

How well does Jubilee Celebration perform for you?

cjrosaphile
9 years ago

Just bought Jubilee Celebration and still have her in the nursery pot so she hasn't had a fair shake this season. How well has she performed for you in your garden, bloom frequency, disease resistance and growth? Want to know if she is a keeper.

Comments (2)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

She's a beauty, isn't she!

Jubilee Celebration
    {{gwi:234833}}

I love her blooms, but in my garden, she has been a bit of a disappointment. The good news is that there are a couple other posters on this forum who claim she does well for them, so hopefully you will hear from them also.

In the meantime, here is my less than glowing report about JC which I've had for about 7 years in my garden:

From the beginning she was something of a wimp--no vigor, not really unhealthy, but kind of a weakling, no strong growth, too "delicate" appearing. She just never has really taken off and I often think she needs an extra shot of vitamins or something. About her third or fourth year, I tried doctoring her with everything I could think of--she got somewhat better--a bit more vigorous and greener and more fulsome looking, but not a lot. That was the best she ever did, though she began looking more "permanent" after her fifth year.

I don't think she ever got over 2.5 x 2.5. Quite a bit smaller than Austin lists in his catalog.

She has never burst into lots of blooms, but typically produces 3-10 blooms, occasionally more during the spring bloom. She does have a fairly good re-bloom rate, so there are often at least a few blooms on her bush most of the time. And the blooms are beautiful!

Unfortunately, the blooms are not long-lasting. If it rains, they will collapse rather quickly. In the burning hot sun, the edges burn. If you can, definitely place her where she gets some protection from the hot afternoon sun.

Oh yes--she does have a bit of the droopy neck syndrome that a number of Austins feature. Lovely droop--but sometimes I have to get down really low to take a decent picture of her blooms.

She is not a disease-magnet, but she often suffers from a low-grade BS infection. I spray her a couple times in the spring and one or two times in the fall, and she gets by with that, but she never looks completely clean if you get up close and look at her closely.

Is she a keeper? Well, I've been keeping her for quite some time now and have no intention of getting rid of her--but she is a disappointment in some respects.

But her blooms are beautiful--lovely pink/peach/salmon shades with yellow at the base! And her re-bloom rate is good. Her two best features.

Actually I love her--but still want to put an extra sweater on her when she goes out to play--just in case.

Kate

• buford
    9 years ago

I agree mostly with Kate. Mine would have a great spring flush and then nothing. But I think it was getting too much shade. I am moving it this year and I'll see what happens. The blooms are lovely. Good for front of the border.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH