Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinyrose_gw

Firefighter, Veteran's Honor, or Ingrid Bergman?

tinyrose
14 years ago

I need a disease resistant but also fragrant red. What do you think between these three? Other suggestions? Rust and Mildew are my problems. I have owned Ingrid and Olympiad in the past. I remember great disease resistance but don't remember fragrance.

Thanks for the help!

Eileen

Comments (16)

• aurora1701e
    14 years ago

IMHO Firefighter has the best fragrance, hands down. Perhaps someone in your area will report on disease-specific issues related to your locale.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Firefighter has been outstanding here. Probably VH or IB are prettier, but for fragrance and productivity Firefighter blows them both out of the water. I have 5 in a vase next to the computer right now and the entire room is filled with their perfume. Disregard the pinkishness of the picture, it is a true red, no pink.

{{gwi:331782}}

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    14 years ago

I have Black Magic, Veteran's Honor, Olympiad, Let Freedom Ring, and Grande Amore. Black Magic out performs all of them and lasts just as long as Veteran'a Honor in a vase.

• tinyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aurora, Hoov, and Kentucky,

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll check out Black Magic. I don't think I have ever seen it.

Hoovb, you have already recommended Firefighter to me, and I planned on getting it based on your love of it. I just love the color of Veteran's Honor and wanted to know how disease resistant it was. I can't believe the beauty of your Firefighter. How could any rose be prettier? I also have more questions for you. Would it be OK if I contacted you by email?

Thanks again,
    Eileen

• aurora1701e
    14 years ago

Eileen:

Here's a pic of Black Magic and Firefighter:

{{gwi:294429}}
    {{gwi:296567}}

• tinyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, Aurora! Gorgeous pictures. Hard to choose. But, I love that Firefighter has a great fragrance.

Thanks for the pictures.
    Eileen

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

I emailed you Eileen. Another fragrant red HT to look at is 'Lasting Love'. I sniffed it at Roger's Gardens and it had an excellent fragrance. Other than that I know nothing about it.

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Whoo-hooo! JeffAurora, the stalker is so happy to have another GORGEOUS set of roses FROM YOU to steal! bwahahahaha! I am really, really missing your roses! I can't wait for the next Bounty of Blooms!

• tinyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Gail,

I have Lasting Love. It is only a year old. Amazing fragrance and beautiful color, not quite red. It is taking off slowly, but I have high hopes for it.
    E

• athenainwi
    14 years ago

I can't really comment on disease resistance since I don't have any rust or mildew here. I can comment on fragrance - Veteran's Honor has a medium fruity fragrance, Ingrid has a light fragrance, and Black Magic has no fragrance. Firefighter is also fragrant, but I just got it this summer and haven't had a chance to observe it much. Black Magic lasts the longest but I prefer Veteran's Honor both for fragrance and productivity.

• taoseeker
    14 years ago

Hi Eileen

Lots of good roses mentioned here. My best fragrant red hybrid tea is Barkarole. Ingrid Bergman last longer but only light fragrance. It's well worth to check if they do well in your climate. These two roses does well both in my family's garden in France and at home here in Norway. Francis Dubreuil is a fantastic rose too, with especially good fragrance. I have him on my order list for spring.

Good luck with your rose-hunt :-)

• sage_co
    14 years ago

Yes, Firefighter has a great fragrance and the bush is bushier and healthy as well. Veteran's Honor has a big and stately form in flower. Ingrid Bergman is also very healthy and sumptuous. But, now, if I have to recommend only one of them, I choose Firefighter.

There is another very fragrant (fruity) 9-11 memorial rose called "We Salute You". This is orange though.

• tinyrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Athen - Thank you for the information. It looks like it is going to be hard to choose.

Tao - Thanks for the new suggestions. I will look them up on HMF.

Sage - I think it is great that you mentioned an orange rose, because I am thinking of taking out Gingersnap and need a replacement.

Thanks to you all!
    Eileen

• cjrosaphile
    14 years ago

Veteran's Honor has been one of those roses in my garden that is a true fence-sitter. The blooms are magnificent, but the shrub shape is tall and gangly with large leaves. I have had endless problems with BS and rust. The first part of the season, I want to shovel prune it, but when the hotter weather of the summer hits and it starts putting out the blooms, I just can't get rid of it. A love-hate relationship. Am trying out Deep Secret and Alec's Red. Deep Secret is gorgeous -- saw it at Heirloom and was impressed. We shall see how it does. CJ

• seil zone 6b MI
    14 years ago

I have Veteran's Honor and Ingrid Bergman. VH is a vigorous grower and has huge gorgeous bright red blooms with excellent form that open slowly and last for ages but has absolutely no fragrance. IB is a slow grower and has medium size, average form, deeper red blooms that open quickly and last about a day with a mild sweet fragrance. Although they both will black spot, of the two VH is the healthier.