Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

What is the best rose you've bought from Pickering?

I'm thinking of making an order from Pickering and just too many to choose from and have seen few of these roses in person and hate to choose from a description and a photo. So any roses you've had experience with that you love and would buy again would be great.

Looking for disease resistance #1, fragrance #2, vigor and rebloom #3.

Thanks. :-)

Comments (10)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

It isn't great with 1 & 2, but the polyantha Baby Faurax is my fave. Very vigorous, good rebloom (best when deadheaded). Pickering also has White Pet. I bought mine from another source, but this ia a great little rose. Very vigorous, and covered with blooms.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Of the ones I remember buying from Pickering, I love my Elina (pastel yellow/white) and Peter Mayle (hot pink and big fat blooms). Elina is quite floriferous but is very big and thorny. Put her more in the background where she can't attack human beings but just look lovely.

Peter is an absolute show-off with his hot pink color, but isn't as quick on the re-bloom as I would wish--and I wish he could be a bit more resistant to BS, although he is not a disease-magnet. His blooms are just gorgeous!

I would replace either one if something happened to them.

Kate

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Definitely Austin's Tamora, a wonderful rose, that's been in constant bloom since early June. It's lovely, smells good (to me), vigorous, and seems very healthy--but we don't have blackspot here, so I'll let others comment on that. I'd certainly buy Tamora again. Note resemblance of Tamora to Evelyn, it's offspring. Diane

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane, that Baby Faurax is a pretty color. White Pet, would you call it a groundcover rose?

Kate, I see Elina has some positive comments on their site too. They donâÂÂt seem to offer Peter Mayle any more. I did look up a photo though, very pretty bloom and color.

Nanadoll, That is a very pretty bloom. I love the button centers. We do have blackspot here unfortunately. IâÂÂve had âÂÂGolden Celebrationâ from Austin and had some foliar issues that are difficult to resolve when you are growing organically. So I am on the fence about whether to try another Austin. I do love their forms and fragrance. I did look up âÂÂTamoraâ on Pickerings site and see lots of great comments about her, but one grower said definitely BS and PM susceptible and definitely needs spraying.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with your purchases from Pickering. I think my âÂÂno sprayâ garden is going to require me to carefully go through their catalog. Thanks!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

No, White Pet isn't a ground cover, but it is short. Mine gets to 3' without pruning, but is perfectly happy kept at 2'.

I was also thinking about Sweet Chariot. I know it is fragrant, and a great bloomer, but I don't know about disease resistance.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Diane, I'll look for that one too and check it out. :-)

• lynnette
    10 years ago

If you like pink roses, my favorite from Pickering is Savoy Hotel.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Ooh, that's gorgeous. I've been wanting Savoy Hotel for ages. I think Palatine has it also. Diane

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lynnette, very pretty pink rose! Has that classic tea shape to it.

• everyrose
    10 years ago

Parole
    Huge blooms, very fragrant, on a disease resistant plant.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting