Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Which rose is best looking 'shrub' you have?

Appearance in the landscape? If you were going to plant a rose in your front garden, do you have one that looks good all season? Not a 'landscape rose', like the Knock Out series.

Comments (48)

• cecily
    10 years ago

The antique tea Monsieur Tillier is located next to my west facing garage. The good Mons is 6x6 with pruning, clothed in healthy foliage from head to foot (grown no spray) and blooms pretty nearly continuously from April to November. He's five years old and a bushy shape, he never did the disco arms thing that teas may do. He has had zero winter kill, probably due to the brick garage/ micro climate. Sorry he wouldn't work in your zone 6 climate, he's a truly great rose.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Well, I was going to say that other then Blushing Knock Out, mine is Caramel Fairy Tale (aka. Caramella). It can get a little out of shape if left to its own devices, it wants to be a small climber, but does very well kept in shape. Floral Fairy Tale stays nice and mannerly.

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

Lynnie... In bloom even during hot summer temps.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Julia is good for me but it does spot some in the late fall. The best shrub/landscape rose I have is Home Run. Blooms a ton, hardy as can be and never spots.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Diane, your JC is insane!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Cecily, sounds like you have a winner there.

Diane, I havenâÂÂt tried any of the Kordes roses yet. I see that both Floral Fairy Tale and Carmella are only hardy to zone 6b though. Thanks though.

Nanadoll, I have a Julia Child and it is my favorite all around rose. Especially love the vigorous, healthy habit of the plant. Mine is still blooming too. That is some photo! Yours grow larger than mine does here in zone 6a. Do you prune it back at all in the spring? Fertilize it a lot?

Thanks Lyn, nice photo. I see you found a rose with a name close to yours. :-) Unfortunately, that one is said to be hardy starting at zone 6b too.

Seil, your Home Run is very clean and neat looking, thanks.

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

I'm still struggling with this issue. Many of my roses are just too young to say. I have two that I think are great looking even when not in bloom. This is based only on form and foliage and not at all dependent on bloom.

Constance Spry - A climber, but the green is always pretty against the trellis and they are pristine all season long.

Alexander Mackenzie has the perfect drape. It is just a very elegant, arching shape and looks good on its own even without its bloom.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Hi Prairiemoon,
    I do prune all my roses fairly hard (this can vary, of course) in early spring, including Julia Child, and all receive the same fertilizers every season, though a few, which have a bit of chlorosis due to the alkaline soil, receive a soil acidifier. Other roses with a nice look in the landscape around here are Tamora, The Prince, Golden Celebration, Bernstein-Rose, Frederic Mistral, Abbaye de Cluny (a beautiful vase shape), and others I'll remember as soon as I quit typing. Diane

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see you like the David Austins, Diane. I do too, I just had a little bit of trouble with the foliage on Golden Celebration, the only DA I've had. I have very little experience with roses, and just don't want to try another twenty to whittle it down to the four or five I am looking for. (g) Thanks for the ideas, I'll check those out.

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

I've always loved the shape of Ducher. I'd grow it even if it didn't bloom. Lou

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

Nanadoll, how old are your two JCs? I have one that blooms its head off here on the upper Gulf Coast, but it tends to stay shorter and wider. It hasn't really grown upwards much, but I can't complain as it tends to bloom like crazy like I said.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Hi King,
    I've had my Julias since 2007, I believe. They do bloom like crazy, i agree.
    Prairiemoon,
    I'd recommend Munstead Wood over the Prince, actually. The Prince is very nice, but MW looks like a better bloomer. I just didn't mention it because it's so new in my garden. Diane

• lainey2 VA
    10 years ago

Easy Does It and Cinco de Mayo are great new non stop blooming roses in my garden. I don't spray and they stay reasonably clean.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I agree about Easy Does It, which I planted not more than four months ago, and EDI hasn't stopped blooming--or growing since. This is a very nice rose. Diane

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lou, is that Gloire de Ducher? I see Pickering has it and calls it a Hybrid perpetual. It lists it as 72â high in the first year! Wow, thatâÂÂs a big roseâ¦lol!

Nanadoll, IâÂÂve only had my Julia Child, since 2010. The first year it spent in a container and I moved it the next spring, and IâÂÂm getting ready to move it again in the spring. (g) So I guess it will be awhile before they will get as large as yours, if ever!

And Munstead Wood is a very deep red color, which I havenâÂÂt chosen reds very much so far, but all of a sudden, IâÂÂm getting a hankering for one. Thanks.

Lainey, thanks IâÂÂll check out those two roses too!

• everyrose
    10 years ago

I would chose a rose based on its foliage for that kind of situation. I like Dick Clark--deep green shiny leaves all the way to the ground, Lasting Love--the burgundy new growth in spring is extraordinary and plenty of deep green shiny leaves the rest of the year. These are such nice bushes that the flowers are just a bonus. Julia Child's bright apple green leaves would be a nice contrast.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

My Julia Childs are beautifully shaped and always blooming. For a smaller shrub, I love Passionate Kisses. Almost always covered in bright, salmon pink flowers that mix surprisingly well with most other colors. The blooms have a nice, light scent that reminds me of apples. It stays at about 3 1/2 feet tall and slightly wider. Foliage stays clean with minimal spraying in my very humid climate. If you are in an area with less humidity or don't mind spraying, Rio Samba makes a nicely shaped, medium sized shrub. Almost constantly in bloom with flowers that have a light, fresh scent. The bush is just a carnival of colors with the blooms opening yellow, blushing red and aging to first bright pink and then pale pink. For a larger shrub, Fragrant Cloud is a stand out in my garden (but needs spraying to stay clean in our humidity). Mine is a big, rounded mound of about 6 ft X 6 ft and constantly covered in the biggest, brightest, most fragrant coral flowers. Both RS and FC practically glow and would need the right companions not to look too gaudy.

I grow both Easy Does It and Cinco de Mayo, which are continual heavy bloomers here. They get about 6 X 4 in my climate. To me, the bushes donâÂÂt have as pretty a shape as JC, PK, RS or FC, but both are very disease resistant here. They are low to no spray for me.

Passionate Kisses

{{gwi:331858}}

{{gwi:331860}}

Rio Samba

{{gwi:331862}}

{{gwi:331864}}

Fragrant Cloud

{{gwi:331866}}

{{gwi:331868}}

And here's a shot with Rio Samba in front and Fragrant Cloud glowing way back in the far left

{{gwi:331870}}

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Wow! Those are really beautiful shrubs, Pat. How do you get srubs to perform like that, esp. Fragrant Cloud?

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Hi Pat....I must ask,"What do you feed those babies!?" You are some very happy roses!I have grown Fragrant Cloud for years and it is no where near the size of yours or has ever bloomed like yours. Your roses are amazing. Lesley

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Thanks Kousa & Lesley. I really don't do anything special...just manure in the spring and then 12-6-10 fertilizer every 4 to 6 wks during growing season. Fragrant Cloud has always been a star performer for me. I've heard it doesn't do so well for some in different zones, but must love our heat, humidity and red clay. In my garden, it's huge, perfectly rounded with foliage and flowers to the ground, almost always in bloom and the flowers last a long time on the bush and cut. Only negative is that it will blackspot without fairly regular spraying. The bed that Fragrant Cloud and Rio Samba are in gets full, blazing sun from dawn until dusk. I was worried some of the roses would fry there, but most are thriving.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, very well grown rose bushes! Thanks for posting all those photos. Nice to see what these look like!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Pat - You have the most gorgeous roses. I want to try Fragrant Cloud again, amazing! I have 2 Love Song bushes and they are very attractive, have bloomed nearly all spring and summer and the flowers last good, the lavender always looks so pretty. My camera doesn't do good full bush shots. There are others that look really attractive in full bloom, Sunsprite, Mellow Yellow, The McCartney Rose, Pink Peace, Drop Dead Red, Double Delight, Rose De Rescht and Tiffany, but Love Song has the most attractive shape and is consistent in its bloom.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a very pretty rose. Such an unusual color! Thanks for the extra names of roses to check out!

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Sara Ann, your Love Song is beautiful! I believe it was Seil who posted a pretty pic of hers on an earlier thread and commented on how much hers blooms, too. I planted mine this spring, and it was a good bloomer at first and then it just quit. It is a nice looking bush, but mine has only had a couple of blooms all summer. It has recently put on a little bit of new growth and has two buds...I guess thatâÂÂs going to be its big fall flushâ¦lol. I hope mine looks more like yours and SeilâÂÂs next year.

• joopster
    10 years ago

Sara-Ann - That pic reminded me my Angel Face that died on my 2 weeks ago. I bought it 2 months ago and didn't put in the ground on time. So sad.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Souvenir de la Malmaison is always covered with leaves to the ground and has a very pretty rounded shape, a little wider than tall, and blooms most of the year in my warm/hot and dry garden. Mutabilis, a much larger shrub, also maintains its full, symmetric shape with a little pruning of longer canes. I haven't pruned SdlM in the more than three years I've had it; it just slowly builds up into a larger bush with the same proportions. I suspect the dry heat keeps it from growing as large as it would in a more humid climate.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    10 years ago

I hesitate to mention this one because a) I don't know how it will do in your zone, b) it isn't why I planted this rose and c) I don't have a picture, but how about Golden Unicorn?

I planted this rose in a mixed bed, actually believing the catalogue that said it would top out at 3 ft. Maybe it does somewhere, but not here. I got behind on my deadheading this summer so when I finally got to it at the end of August, I decided to whack it back a little to about 5' tall. In a month it has come back like gangbusters and is ready to burst into bloom. We tend to get very late freezes here so not everyone would want to do this.

The flowers are a nice apricot in cooler weather and it blooms for me in heavy flushes. They are fragrant but don't last long in a vase. The plant itself is every bit as healthy as my neighbors' Knockouts and maybe even a bit more vigorous even though this seems to be black spot central. The beauty of this rose is that it can handle adversity of all kinds; deer predation, bad soil, weather extremes including ice storms, drought, hail, heavy rain, etc. and come back and bloom like mad. It seems to bloom even better in the fall for me than the spring and it isn't unusual to have blooms in Dec. It is pretty if you don't mind that the individual roses don't last long. Not why I planted this rose but I learned to value what it has to offer.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have another rose with a nice shape I'd like to mention. It's a small floribunda from Tantau of Germany called Bernstein-Rose. I got three of these reliable bloomers to use as small design echos of my large Julia Child roses. The yellow blooms are slightly brighter than Julia's but sometimes, depending on the weather, the blooms are almost a match. B-R does stay small for me, just as described, at about a little less than 3'X3' For all three shrubs. Here's a pic of Bernstein-Rose. A bit of Julia shows in the photo to the right, and behind B-R is Ballerina, a nice shrub, too. Diane

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

The Ducher I meant is just called 'Ducher'. It's a China. But if you want a larger bush, yes, Souvenir de la Malmaison is nice and full. My SDLM blooms more than my Ducher. Lou

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Great rose pics everyone! :-)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Diane - I think that Bernstein-Rose is absolute perfection!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Thank you, Sara-Ann. It's a sweet little rose that is so trouble free. Diane

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

I'm glad to see this question addressed. I have a spot in an existing flowerbed that is in front of our sidewalk leading to the house. This area gets morning sun and shade after 2-3pm so it is an ideal location for planting a moderate size rose bush. I have a Grandma's Yellow that I am thinking of using in that location, but I don't know if it is an attractive shrub. Any comments on this rose?
    My best looking rose as far as landscape value is probably Spice because of its growth habit, health and ability to have foliage all year long...of course, it is quite large, getting to 6x6 pretty easily.

Molly

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

SdlM is a fine looking shrub, as has already been said. Mine is very agreeable, almost never needs pruning. I just snap off the old flowers.

Just about any of the polyanthas becomes a wonderful looking shrub. I was going to start mentioning them but they are all good looking so I'll just say most polys.

I like Johann Strauss. I noticed that the Huntington has made a low hedge of it and that's exactly what I did with it after growing it a few years. I laughed when I saw the one at the Huntington because I thought I was so clever to think of using it for a hedge and here's another one close to home. My garden is so small, if I'm going to give up space to devote to one rose planted over and over, it has to be great. Ok well there are some Clotilde Soupert plants between the JS but they make good looking shrubs too.

Gourmet Popcorn makes a sweet little shrub and its easy-peasy to grow.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ingrid, I guess I would have to take the difference in climate into consideration, here in Massachusetts, we do have humid summers. YouâÂÂre pretty lucky to have a drier climate!

Kess, isnâÂÂt that a pretty name for a rose. :-) It sounds like a winner, too.

Diane, I love the look of your Bernstein-Rose! The size and shape of the blossoms and that clear yellow color with the dark foliage is very pretty. What is the purple flowered plant next to it? Since it is from Germany, did you have to order it special?

Lou, I did another search using âÂÂchina roseâ and I see the âÂÂDucherâ that is a white rose, right? No, IâÂÂm not wanting a large rose. These will go in my front garden and I try to keep the height under 5ft.

Molly, is that âÂÂSpiceâ Rose an Earth Kind rose?

Kittymoonbeam, thanks I'll take another look at the Polyanthas. I haven't had one of those yet. And I'll have to check out Johann Strauss too, if someone made a hedge out of them. Cute name, 'Gourmet Popcorn'.

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 13:21

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Hi prairiemoon2,
    The winy red plant near Bernstein-Rose you asked about is Valerian aka Jupiter's Beard or Centranthus ruber. I love it and grow several plants in red and pink. I've also grown the white version, but didn't like it as well. In some areas, such as California, it is considered sort of a pest because it readily reseeds, but I don't find it a problem.
    Bernstein-Rose was available from Heirloom Roses and Hortico when I acquired mine from Hortico, but I'm not sure where it's available now--which is a shame. The newer Tantau (check out Ascot and Augusta Luise on HMF) roses, are some of the best I grow, are difficult or impossible to obtain in North America. I am frustrated by this because I want several more (check out Pastella, Mariatheresia, Lavender Ice on HMF). I got Ascot from Palatine and Augusta Luise from Hortico.
    Diane

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Diane,
    It is listed on the Heirloom Roses site, but is out of stock. Thanks for that info. And when I have some time I'll look over at HelpMeFind for some of the other Tantau roses. Thanks.

• jardineratx
    10 years ago

Prairiemoon, yes, Spice is an Earthkind rose.
    Molly

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

I think Graham Thomas would make a show out front!

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Prairiemoon, just to clarify, my 3 yr old Ducher is about 4' so it should be smaller for you than it is in Texas. It's one of my smaller chinas. However, chinas may not be good roses for your climate. Lou

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Its little but its mighty

I cant find my picture so I'll give a link to a good one

Here is a link that might be useful: gourmet popcorn

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dan, IâÂÂve always liked Graham Thomas, thanks!

Lou, I definitely agree that any rose would be shorter here than in Texas. I thought, everything is bigger in Texas? (g) IâÂÂll have to read up on Chinas for this area, thanks.

Kittymoonbeam, wow, what a bushy, full of blooms show that puts on. Thanks for the link!

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

In Mass, you're going to want to choose BS resistant varieties and/or spray.

Most of my shrubs that I regard as attractive and healthy have not been great repeat bloomers.

Cinco de Mayo is almost never without blooms for me and has a wonderful shape and pretty foliage, but black spots like heck if not sprayed.

New in my garden this year, and my most attractive new shrub, has been Lady of Shallot. It has a graceful branches, lovely foliage, flowered all summer with blooms that hold their color and shape. I expect it will get big though. Another 1st year Austin, Munstead Wood, is smaller and I hope it will stay so. IMO the shrub is not as pretty, bloom not as prolific, but I'd still rate it highly. My Austins have all gotten big, zone 5 has been no deterrent to that tendency. I had Graham Thomas planted in my front yard and had to move him because he wanted to be 10' tall.

You mentioned Caramella being zone 6B, but I'd give that another look. On HMF, it's listed at zone 6B by default, but check out the Gardens tab and you'll discover people growing it in cold locations. I've chosen Caramella for 2014. Palatine rates it as zone 5, also Pickering sells it. They are both reliable resources for cold zone roses, also High Country if you're looking for own-root. Kordes has a good reputation for producing disease resistant roses and they have many cold hardy choices.

Oh, and I've just ordered Ascot from Palatine thanks to Diane's frequent praise, crossing my fingers for cold hardiness!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi RDHeads, Yes, I realize that BS is an issue, but spraying is not an option, so I will be taking the resistance into consideration.

Thanks for that information about how tall Graham Thomas grew for you.

And I didnâÂÂt think to check the gardens where people grow roses on HelpMeFind, so good info.

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas and the great photos!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I grow a HT that has really surprised me. "Remember Me." I have 2 plants planted 24" apart and they have made a huge shrub (5'x5'). Covered with bright green foliage from top to bottom. I would grow this even if it didn't bloom. But man does it bloom. Copper over light orange. It smells great. Look it up on HMF.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken, I will take a look. Sounds like a very vigorous rose and a unique color.

• coconutty
    10 years ago

I really like Clotilde Soupert! Also, i have an Alba Meidiland by my mailbox, but it's like a rose mountain now. :)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH