Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting roses back in the fall

Posted by lyoshka 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 7:34

I know this is not the first time this has been posted, and I apologize for that. I did search through the messages and a lot were discussing much warmer zones, so I feel the need to reask.

I'm in zone 5 (a?), 40 miles directly west of Chicago. I have 4 climbing roses (2 Blazing Glories and 1 yellow one, can't remember name) and 5 rose bushes. I wish I wrote down what I have, because I can't remember now ... bad mommy.

I've always cut them down after a hard frost and usually do a pile of soil and leaves, then wrap in burlap. The climbers I lay on the ground and loosely cover with leaves. They seem to overwinter fine.

But, I wanted to ask for advice on what you would recommend. is what I do the right way? Should I leave them the rose bushes up completely and just protect the graft area?
Also, when should I cut them down, if i do need to cut them down?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting roses back in the fall

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 16:18

Don't cut them! Unless a cane is unusually long and will blow around in the wind leave them alone. Tie the climbers up securely so they don't blow in the wind but leave any and all cane length you have. Any of the other roses that seem on the tall side can be staked and tied as well. In the spring when the roses begin to bud out you'll be able to tell how much cane length is winter damaged and needs removal. You will lose some cane length but probably not as much as you think. Particularly if we have as mild a winter as we had last year. If you cut them way down now you're still going to lose some cane and you'll be starting out with much less to work with come spring. Another thing is that those canes have stored energy for next spring so you don't want to cut them off and lose that precious energy. It might be just that little bit that helps bring them back if we do have a severe winter or a very unstable spring thaw. Go ahead and mound the bases like you usually do but just leave the canes alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here