Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses that don't give up pollen.

Posted by Resolute_Noir 11 (tropical) (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 7:59

So lately I've been trying to collect some pollen from my striped rose (that I've yet to identify) and my Olympiad and was hoping to cross them with each other. But Alas! I removed the anthers while the bud was just starting to open and dried them in open air but I only ended up with dried anthers and no pollen. I even dipped a finger into the container and not a spot of pollen came on it.

For a while I was starting to think my roses were sterile, but then I had this crazy idea about grinding the anthers by mortar and pestle. Hoping to extract the pollen. Is this a good idea? Will the pollen still be viable if I extract them that way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses that don't give up pollen.

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 14:53

Can't you wait until the flower is matured enough on the plant to collect the pollen? Why pick the flower so soon?

o

Many release their pollen long before the petals open, hoov. There are more than you might expect which begin pollinating themselves before the sepals begin to unfurl, making using them as either parent a real chore. You have to experiment to determine which release it when to prevent self pollination (which is much more common than you might think) as well as loss of the pollen before you get to it.

Yes, fully dried anthers can be ground to release any pollen they may contain and it can remain effective enough to produce results. Some roses don't make pollen. Some have deformed anthers which refuse to release it. In really humid conditions (which, from your being in the Philippines, seems as if it may play a role in this issue for you), the "wax" holding the pollen on the anthers may dry like glue, preventing the pollen from being released. Sequoia Nursery ground dried anthers from reluctant parents for many years. Kim

o

@ hoov
I forgot to state that I actually tried that before to have them self-pollinate and I still get the same results: Dried up anthers with not a speck pollen on the stigmas. I even waited around for hips until the flower dried into a brown wand on the stem.

@Kim
Thank you for that useful information! I'll try that when the next blooms appear. (Hopefully my Center Gold blooms around the same time. I've read that it makes a good seed parent.) And yes, it has been more humid here than normal since it's the wet season right now.The humidity here was probably what kept my roses from releasing their pollen all year.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 15:10

I see, thanks for the explanation noir and kim. I've been playing around with Agave/Manfreda crosses this year, and found the pollen wasn't appearing on some flowers until the flower was just about spent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here