Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Opinions on Roses

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

Here is a list of roses that at some point through the years have been on my wish list. These are all varieties that have been around awhile (just like me). I would like your opinions on what you think of some of these and if there are better ones that are similar.

First Prize
Duet
Brandy
Electron
Keepsake
Joyfulness
Kordes Perfecta
Mikado
Paradise
Pink Parfait
Royal Highness
Touch of Class
Uncle Joe
Bride's Dream
Jadis (Fragrant Memory)

Comments (26)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

My Electron is getting shovel pruned. It's not very vigorous for me.

I lost Touch of Class twice to winter and quit trying.

Uncle Joe was 8 feet tall and only bloomed at the tips, of course, so I never got to see them. It's gone now.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I grow Electron, Paradise and Touch of Class. I like all three, but IâÂÂm not in love with any of them. They perform well enough to stay in my garden, but if I were to lose them, I probably wouldnâÂÂt replace any of the three with the same bush. Electron blooms a lot for me and has a good fragrance, but mine has really puckered foliage that isnâÂÂt attractive. Not sure if thatâÂÂs natural for it or if mine wants for something that I havenâÂÂt provided it. It does have big, beautiful blooms of the brightest pink imaginable. They last a while on the bush and cut for me. If it werenâÂÂt for the foliage issue, I might love this one. Touch of Class has perfectly formed flowers, blooms in big flushes, but a bit slow to repeat for me. The blooms look like they would/should be long lasting and wonderfully fragrantâ¦but mine are neither. Here, they donâÂÂt last very long on the bush or cut and have no fragrance I can detect. ToC also has that HT shape so many describe as long sticks with a flower at the top, bare knees and blackspot (even with spraying here). Paradise is another perfectly formed beauty, and such a unique color combination, but mine is stingy with blooms and has no fragrance that I can detect. I would love ToC and Paradise despite their faults if they were fragrant. They both have such beautiful blooms that just scream to be smelled, and then disappoint when you bury your nose in themâ¦

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

I've at least tried about half of the roses on your list and only a few of them stand out in my memory, but some of the reason is that several of them haven't established well for me or weren't winter hardy. The latter group includes: First Prize, Brandy, Electron, and Jadis (but I think the last was a weak plant and I'll probably try it again). I now have a surviving Joyfulness and Kordes Perfecta, but I can't comment on the blooms other than to have the same high hopes for both of them.
    Paradise I really like for the color, and I never really expect the lavenders to have fragrance since in my zone survival of the relatively wimpy lavenders is more important to me. It isn't a particularly frequent bloomer, but it has had fairly regular blooms and doesn't seem to mind the heat too much.
    Touch of Class, Pink Parfait, and Bride's Dream are just finishing their second years, and so far the blooms are nice but not yet all that frequent (but I don't expect that in a second year plant). All of those are reliably high-centered HT type blooms, and have survived at least root hardy in my zone with protection.

Uncle Joe is a more reliably hardy plant and usually has canes left at the end of spring. It's much more crimson-pink than red in my full sun, and it has a well-deserved reputation for not opening unless the weather is really hot and dry. In Oklahoma, you have those kind of conditions much of the summer, but remember it's a classic "baller" if it's cool or damp. Like Seil, mine most blooms on the ends and hasn't bushed out much, but I'm going to try pruning it more severely this spring and see if I can coax it into a little for lavish blooms even if not more frequent. In general, most of the fragrant reds that get mentioned frequently - Veteran's Honor, Legends, Velvet Fragrance, Firefighter - would be a better bet if you don't have a ton of space to play with.

Cynthia

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I've grown a few on your list in previous years but none of them now that I've cut way back to the nitty gritty on roses that suit my purpose and tastes.-
    FIRST PRIZE- was a good bloomer in the spring, but the blooms often had measles (botrytis I'm assuming). That along with only so so repeat meant she didn't stay. ROYAL HIGHNESS was extra fragrant, but had alot of trouble with B.S. Very beautiful color. Can't remember much more about her. UNCLE JOE balled in the cool spring and wasn't a quick repeater so missed alot of blooms in cool fall too. All those petals take time to develop. Just wasn't productive enough with the balling to warrent space in my small garden....PARADISE- I always wanted to grow her but every time I researched it I ended up passing. Some don't like the color combination (I love it) and others commented on how stingy and disease prone she is. I ended up with DEJA BLU a miniflora that takes up less space, has a similar color pattern, good disease resistance, and is very productive. It did take her 3 years to develop so patience was a virtue on her. I've always wanted to try JOYFULNESS, but again after research I think she might not do/look that great in our climate. But then I have a thing about pale pastel colors in our bright summer light looking washed out. Someone like YOU probably need to grow her to let me know-lol......Maryl

• Karolina11
    10 years ago

I grow First Prize. GORGEOUS BLOOMS but they take forever to open and repeat is definitely lacking. No scent either but at least it stays clean of BS.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

My 35+yrs of growing roses in Fl. I grew; First prise, Brandy, Electron, Paradise, Royal Highness, Touch of Class, Uncle Joe and Brides Dream. All did quite well for me over the years. 5+ yrs up in the cool, damp N.GA. Mountains the only ones I have from that group are Royal Highness (will always try to have this rose) and Touch of Class. Would love to give Electron a try up here. I exhibit and enjoy exhibiting some of the older HT's. As far as anythig "better", sure. But each one of these roses carry their own special charm. I'd say give some of them a try and see if they make YOU happy.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

First Prize- love the tall unusual canes and beautiful cerise color- have killed two of these
    Brides dream- beautiful prolific soft blush pink, almost white. Large blossoms, but NO fragrance
    Paradise- beautiful color, no scent. Very healthy , prolific bloomer.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Paradise asserting herself,

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

I guess it depends what you want to do with the roses. Show them or garden display. Cause a lot of them are more show types. Uncle Joe in my area puts on fantastic blooms but they are only now and then, not a good garden display. The same with Touch of Class, Keepsake and Brides Dream. If you want color put in floribundas!
    Paradise is not a vigorous rose, The rest of them I dug out years ago. Dainty Bess is a heavy bloomer, Minis and minifloras are also heavy bloomers

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Electron is very thorny. I had it at another house, and haven't bothered to replace it.

Jadis is a superb rose with tons of flowers and heavenly scent. I keep trying to find that one. Love it!!!

Paradise - same as everyone above - stingy bloomer, no fragrance. This is its 3rd year (in pot) and it has bloomed (finally) more than it used to. Quite a decent plant. I wouldn't get it again though. I keep it, because my daughter loves the colors.
    Good luck choosing!
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate everyone's input so far. You've all given me some informative info on the ones you are familiar with, very helpful, thanks.

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

I LOVE Royal Highness. It's got beautiful pearlescent blooms and fragrance to die for. I wouldn't be without it, ever.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I missed Paradise earlier. It's a good rose for me even though it's in a terrible spot. It doesn't get enough sun because it's tangled into a clematis but still grows quite tall and blooms regularly. It does spot and the repeat is slow on it.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

Somebody said that Royal Highness would be an annual. I've had mine for over 30 years!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Royal Highness sounds like it might be a really good rose, it has that elegant look that I love. I'm thinking that here in this Oklahoma heat it would probably be at its best early in the season and later on in the fall. Paradise is such a unique color. I have seen it in bloom a few times, love it.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Funny. My paradise and bd are non stop bloom machines this year.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susan - Very nice picture, thanks.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Sara Ann, isn't it fun? I love your choices. I want alllll of them! Lol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susan - Yes, it is fun. There are probably that many more I'm interested in that I didn't put on the list. The most difficult part is choosing just a few from the many I want. That's why I am seeking advice from others.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susan - What is the bush in the picture that has quite a few blooms? Almost looks like Double Delight or some other bi-color, can't tell for sure, really is pretty. Your roses look very healthy.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Tree rose on right is rainbow sorbet. She was amazing this year. I cannot believe this picture. And she really looked like that!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Susan - Beautiful rose, love the coloring!

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Sara Ann, I've grown several of these, but no longer have any. I'd love to get Royal Highness and Jadis again. Thanks for reminding me of them. I loved Touch of Class flower form, and it was florifirous for me, but the color just didn't blend with my other roses. First Prize had the most gorgeous blooms, but I couldn't deal with the constant black spot so I didn't keep it. Lou

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lou - I've never seen Jadis in person, I've just always thought it was a lovely rose and have wanted to try it. I think it might be kind of hard to find. There are several sources listed on HMF, but I'm not sure how often the lists are updated. I'm almost certain that if it is available, it is only own-root, which is OK. I'm also wondering if Royal Highness is readily available. I think I'm showing my age with my interest in these older hybrid teas.

• henryinct
    10 years ago

I have grown every one of those in Z6b except Joyfulness and Jadis. They're all old. I wont comment on all of them but I would say that First Prize is a waste of time because it is weak and doesn't bloom well. You'll get a few decent blooms if you're lucky. Brandy in your zone is too weak to survive although here in SoCal it is fine. You'll be doing well to keep it alive for three years. I would never grow Mikado where there is BS because it is just about the worst BS magnet I've ever seen and I used to spray a lot. Uncle Joe is also a waste if you get any rain because it balls and it is a sparse bloomer and it is weak. The one or two good blooms you do get from it will, however, be the most beautiful you have ever seen. Touch of Class is extremely strong and the blooms are perfect HT form but they tend to be puny and not attractive IMO. Paradise is a mauve with a reddish fringe which I don't find attractive but others do. It is also weak as are all mauves in Z6b. Electron is a hot pink that is fragrant and Duet is an ordinary pink that is not fragrant. Both should do OK in your zone. Keepsake and Kordes Perfecta are both pink/white blends that are attractive and should do well. I would sum this up by saying that of this lot if I were in Z6b the only ones would probably take are Touch of Class because it is so strong and possibly Bride's Dream and Royal Highness because they are beautiful and I might take Kordes Perfecta.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Henry. I'm a little disappointed that you think Brandy wouldn't do good, but appreciate the info. I know there are similar varieties. Thanks