Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joopster

Is it safe to plant crown princess margareta now?

joopster
10 years ago

I got crown princess margareta rose from a local nursery 2 weeks ago. I haven't got a chance to put it in the ground but will do it today. The plant was cut back to 6 inches by the nursery but ever since I took it home it been sprouting new leaves. Can I:
a) plant it any way.
b) keep it in the original container in my attached garage.
c) move it into a bigger container and keep it in my attached garage.

Right now our temp is usually in the lower 70s during the day and around mid 40s at night. I was hoping that I can put it in the ground and cover it up with the cone at end of October. It comes in a 2.5 gal contain so I think it the root system should be strong enough to handle October planting.

Comments (14)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

It's a shame the nursery pruned the rose, because it is wasting plant energy on growth that will be frozen. However, trying to keep the rose in a garage also entails risk. I would plant it out. I wouldn't try to protect the soft new growth, which is going to die in any case. I would consider plucking it off and hope for freezing weather soon to prevent further growth. That might depend on where in zone 5 you are located.

Winter protection also entails risk of fungal infections, so that some experienced growers advise against using it. If you are going use cones or mounding, I think late October is too soon. Wait until there is danger of damage to the old canes, 5 or 10 degrees F.

• joopster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Michaelg. I'm in Chicago. I really don't under why they cut it back either. The nursery told me not to use cone because it can damage the plant. I I think will make my own winter protection similar to the one that I use for my hydrangea: chicken wire, freeze protection fabric, and some dry leaves and mulch.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

It really should not have been pruned back in the fall. That nursery probably was pruning them back to save space to store them for winter.

I agree with Michael, plant it now. Don't disturb the root ball when you do so and plant it deep. Deeper than it is in the pot. Then you can mound it or mulch it up the canes some. But don't protect it yet. It's still way too early for that. Keep it watered until the ground freezes and don't do any protection before then. You want to give it as much time as possible to settle in before winter hits.

• joopster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Seil. I will do as you suggested. I really want it to survive. This is my first year growing any roses. I'm so new at this.

• Terry Crawford
    10 years ago

Joopster, I'm down around Peoria area, and I grow 'CPM'. First off, you are going to need to need to select an area that is going to get at least 6-8 hours of sun. 'CPM' gets really big...mine is about 8' tall and 5' wide, so plant accordingly. Secondly, plant the graft (that bulby knob) about 4-5" deep to protect it from winter freeze. I then water the rose really well, and add the soil back up and around the rose; tamping it around the plant so no air holes remain. I use a mulch of hardwood chips around the base of my roses...nothing else for winter protection. 'CPM' has proven to be very cane hardy for me.

I'm not a fan of cones....they just create a big mess of fungal infection. The oak leaves that blow in from neighboring trees are the nature's best protection, along with snow cover. I never lose any roses to Ole' Man Winter.

Once established, 'CPM' is big enough to grow clematis throughout its big canes. Congratulations to you on selecting a beautiful rose!

• susan4952
    10 years ago

I am in Chicago, also. This looks like nice healthy plant. I just planted 4 climbers a few weeks ago. Try to concentrate on root development over the next few milder weeks. I would also cover base, to drip line, with clean bark nugget type mulch. Terry Jean has given you good zone 5 advice. Where and how she is planted is critical to her survival. I also use a root stimulant whenever I plant. Half strength because I am afraid . Lol. Welcome to the addiction and keep us posted.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Oh, and YANK that weed. Roses are picky brats and do not like competition!

• joopster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I will plant my today. I'm really looking forward to the bloom next year.

-terryjean: Did you use any column or or a obelisk? I'm thinking about using a 10' obelisk. I want to block the crazy neighbor... LOL

And yes, I yanked the weed.... LOL

• Terry Crawford
    10 years ago

If you're talking about one of those 'domed' obelisks, CPM will end of eating it the first year. Any obelisk that I ever grew a rose in was a major pain...they are just too darned small IMO. I just use them now for clematis.

I have a rather unconventional means of supporting CPM by using a 3-panel trellis that I found at Menards because it is growing up a rather steep slope, which caused the canes to want to lie on the hillside when it was a young plant. Now in its 6th year, it doesn't need the support any longer, but it would be a nightmare to try to disentangle it from the trellis, so it stays put. I also have some lovely clematis woven through the trellis.

Perhaps just plant CPM without any support and see how it grows...you can always add a trellis if it needs one next Spring. There's no hurry right now. And good luck on screening out the neighbor!

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

John Scarman's book Gardening with Old Roses (1999), has pictures of two Buff Beauty roses growing in (very) large containers, so anything is possible. He claimed it was a good rose to grow in pots. Scarman was growing them in England and has his own, controversial to some, way of pruning. I don't know whether his methods would be transferrable to this country, whether or how the pots would need to be protected in winter, etc. I also doubt it would save all that much space, but again, nothing ventured nothing gained. Scarman is now based in Germany. I am attaching a link. There is a little British union jack on the top left that should give you the English language version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarman web page

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

Oops, the above post was meant to be posted on another thread.

• joopster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks terryjean

• joopster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey terryjean, did you have a lot of black spot problem on yours?

• Terry Crawford
    10 years ago

I spray with Bayer Advance for blackspot. If I miss spraying, it seems to not mind it too much and will shrug off any BP issues....not like some of the HTs. I quit spraying all of the roses in August, and it didn't seem to mind terribly, while some of the gang BP'd terribly.