Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ians_gardener

Black spot on Hansa Rugosa rose...

This surprised me, since rugosa roses are generally "bullet proof" when it comes to black spot....but the key word is that rugosa roses are "resistant" to Bs......not immune

Comments (8)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

It's practically immune to some races of black spot, but you have a strain that it's susceptible to.

Mine never had black spot, but it got some other ugly fungus during mild, wet weather.

'Foxi Pavement' AKA Buffalo Gal is a purple-pink, fragrant rugosa that, in my experience, has better disease resistance and repeat bloom than 'Hansa'.

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

My Hansa got hammered this year too. Practically defoliated. Unlike a couple of my more blackspot prone roses, it didn't bounce back as well as they did. Maybe not being used to the onslaught it freaked out a bit. Whatever strain it got just took it down for the count this year.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Hmm, it almost seems as if your climate is beginning to resemble many of those around me. I avoid many rugosas and their hybrids because they do exactly what you are witnessing, (as well as rusting horribly), and can't be sprayed or they also defoliate. Wouldn't it be "interesting" as the climates change, the various races of black spot are able to set up housekeeping in other areas, eventually "enabling" us all to grow all of them simultaneously? Kim

• zaphod42
    10 years ago

...on the other hand, my Blanc Double de Coubert is pristine. Not a speck of BS and she's even in a shady location.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny that you mentioned your Blanc Double de Coubert, zaphod42.....I have one planted right beside this Hansa and it too is disease free....

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Not odd at all. Both contain rugosa genes, but are completely different genetic combinations with different immune systems. It would almost be similar to siblings, perhaps cousins, who differ in their susceptibility to colds, flu, etc. Kim

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

For what it's worth, my Hansa at my old house regularly defoliated with blackspot like yours, and in fact rarely had leaves on it. I got one bloom cycle of perhaps 5-6 blooms in early spring, then the whole bush would decline the rest of the summer. It was recommended by a local nursery in my early rose growing days, but I would absolutely not recommend it for disease resistance around here either. In contrast, Linda Campbell, Rountuit, and Therese Bugnet are rugosas with no BS trouble in my zone, so it seems that Hansa is particularly susceptible to the variety of BS in this area.

Cynthia

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will have to think about what to do about the hansa over the winter....may give it another chance to see if it develops bs next year.....pretty disheartening, since it is very vigous and blooms a number of times through the summer....
    I have a large Therese Bugnet (not far away) and it is disease free as well.....I must admit that my Bugnet is one of my favourites!! Fragrant and vigorous as well......