Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird Rose Disease and Canker- HELP!!

Posted by dragoonsers 10/11 Coastal (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 9:12

This is in continuation of this thread:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0901522231159.html?28

It got messy so decided start a new one. Roses show what I see as canker. So I decided to remove all the dead wood- with pruning shears and diluted bleach for disinfecting everytime I made a cut. To my horror I found this!

The stems are green but the plant was in stress. The xylem/phloem or the cambium as is called has turned a yucky brown! I kept cutting till i could find healthy tissue but it extends all the way into the graft union. I have three plants like this, rest seem to be doing okay for now with nice new growth.

Pictures can be seen here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/hamza.91/RoseDisease?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMTK0YqHmOmntwE&feat=directlink

Rose disease

Should I just uproot and burn them? Or what should I do? I don't think they can be saved. If the canker goes to the roots, would the soil be "infected" as well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird Rose Disease and Canker- HELP!!

If there is a sewage smell to the rotting roots and the soil, this is anaerobic decay caused by poor drainage and overwatering. Manure and rotting wood do not smell like sewage if oxygen is present. So the prime question would be whether that nasty sour smell is present below the soil surface.

Ordinary canker does not normally, if ever, spread wildly through the stems and roots. Roses are able to defend themselves against canker and wall it off. (A partial exception might occur during winter dormancy when mild, wet weather allows the fungus to be more active than the plant's immune system.)

It is possible that your roses have something like phytopthera, but I would look first at the soil conditions. 50% manure is way too much. The muck would fill all the spaces between the sand grains and, if regularly watered, remain saturated with water. That much manure might also create a toxic excess of salts, and particularly if you have been fertilizing.

Use either a standard American potting mix such as Miracle Gro, or a light sandy loam containing about 80% large particles (sand or other gritty material, bark fines, coir). There is good advice on the Container Forum.

o
RE: Weird Rose Disease and Canker- HELP!!

Since coming to southern California I've seen a lot of dead roses. Most of my neighbor's roses look this way. I would attribute it to lack of proper care. The soil here can be totally dry and rock hard. Most people don't mulch or water correctly. Aerial watering runs off or if it is trapped it just sits there because there is no drainage and the rose can rot. You really have to build up the soil and get proper drainage and once you do you have to feed and water heavily especially when it stays hot and dry for long periods. And BTW, old woody canes with no basals are common here. It is a matter of time before roses like this die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here