Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Your best single rose

ruthz
10 years ago

Darlow's Enigma is new for me this year and I love it.
I'd like a couple more single bloom roses in different colors.
I don't use any sprays and reblooming and fragrance are a must.

Lyda Rose is at the rop of my list.

These are maybe's

Ballerina
Dortmund

I'd like your suggestions please.

Comments (34)

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

For reds, the single red sold under a number of names, Miss Lowe's Red China is the one I have, repeat blooms well, has a vibrant red color and can handle hot summers and my winters (so it can handle your north Texas winter).
    The single red Hybrid Tea Vesuvius is now hard to find but wonderful nonetheless.

This won't help you at all, but some other people might want to try R. bracteata, which is an invasive pest in parts of Texas, but a wonderful no-invasive rose in my gardens. Totally healthy foliage with the purest white blooms ever and repeats all through the year.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Home Run is what you are looking for. Good bloomer/re-bloomer, fragrant, and highly bs-resistant.

But also prickly--just a warning. No problem since no one walks along the property line where they are planted between my yard and my neighbor's yard--at least not more than once (giggle).

Just give it sunshine and water--and it won't quit blooming.

Home Run --
    {{gwi:332471}}

Kate

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I'm not a big fan of singles, but 'Altissimo' is nice.
    {{gwi:221939}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Home Run is very good, healthy, hardy and vigorous.
    Golden Wings is beautiful and blooms a lot all season but it does black spot.
    Dainty Bess is not as good a bloomer but LOVELY anyway!
    Mrs. Robinson is a beauty but a very small plant and doesn't bloom very much.

• User
    10 years ago

Schoener's Nutkana and Scharlachglut are both vivid, enormous showstoppers....but my best single is the species rose, moyesii - comes in several sizes and colours (geranium is slightly smaller and brighter red, while holodonta is a clear pink).....but these are enormous roses. Another lovely, but fleeting climber is Meg, while I also love the clustered form of singles such as R.helenae, R.filipes, r.souliena 'Kew Rambler', hybrid musks like 'Pleine de Grace', 'Moonlight' and the single musk rose.

• User
    10 years ago

I don't grow it, but love the Father Hugo growing in a local iris garden here. It probably has been trained to grow as a tree(and looks exactly like one, about 9 feet tall, with small tree trunks) and must be a least decades old. When it is covered by blooms, it is breathtaking.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

I have only two singles, Mutabilis and Mr. Bluebird, and Mutabilis is one of the most carefree and constantly blooming roses I have. It's large, over 6 feet tall and about 8 feet wide, and would grow much taller if I allowed it. The flowers change color as they open and mature and create a lovely background to the front rose bed.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Mutabilis is an amazing rose! A true workhorse...health and constantly in bloom. Lyda Rose is the same. Nothing stops here and she is so healthy and constantly with clusters in bloom. No fragrance though. I've finally had to accept that, for the most part, I can't have it all in a rose.
    Mrs. Oakley Fisher is wonderful here. Slightly fragrant to my nose but too young to comment on health.
    Susan

• brenda_l_w
    10 years ago

Mrs. Oakley Fisher is my favorite. I wish I had a picture but it doesn't matter because I haven't seen a picture that does it proper justice. The blooms on Mrs. F seem to be illuminated from within. Smells slightly spicy to me, even the foilage.

Lyda is the runner up. She is in a difficult, shady spot underneath a plum tree and is exceptionally clean and healthy. I get a light sweet fragrance when in bloom, it smells like spring to me - honey or apple blossoms.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Frankie is my hands-down fav single. It is the only single with the substance of Altissimo, and it got that substance from being an offspring of Altissimo (along with Silverado, we think). In my cool weather it starts out kindof cocoa colored, and then evolves slowly to a laverdery pink with darker edges. And it blooms continuously, not in flushes.

It's main drawback is it's hard to find. But we have one in the auction this year (hint, hint).

Here is a link that might be useful: Frankie on HMF

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Heavens, how did I forget Mutabilis! Yes, it's been gorgeous and in bloom all summer!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Rosa Rugosa (deep pink) and Rosa Rugosa Alba (white). Put it in the ground, get out of the way and enjoy. Beautiful blooms, great foliage and a great scent. In the DAL/FTW area they will need afternoon shade to bloom good during the summer.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    10 years ago

Love Mutabilis, but I can't smell much in the way of scent. Frau Dagmar Hastrupp (rugosa) has to be one of the loveliest roses I've ever seen, a beautiful mounding bush to about 3".

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Dainty Bess.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

Mine is Snow Cream a HT single.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I love Ballerina, one which you're considering, and Dainty Bess. The yellow, tinged with pink, Morden Sunrise is nice, too. I don't think any of these have much smell, though. Diane

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

kstrong, Frankie is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing about this rose, even though it seems few people will ever get to grow it.

Some of my favorite singles which grew well in the Dallas area are:
    Mrs. Oakley Fisher
    Frau Dagmar Hastrupp
    Dortmund
    Dainty Bess

Here in Houston:
    Deanna Krause
    Emmie Gray
    Dusky Maiden
    Morning Mist - gets quite large, even own root
    Poulsen's Pearl
    Sharon's Delight
    Single Pink China
    Paul Ecke, Jr.
    Chireno - plant is still very small

And of course Mutabilis is lovely everywhere it is grown.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

Sorry - double posted for some reason

This post was edited by plantloverkat on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 8:53

• lynnette
    10 years ago

Sally Holmes likes the PNW but dos get tall.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

I can only follow up on nanadolls post about morden sunrise. It is the rosé that got me addicted. While I wouldn't consider it a strong fragrance as I can't smell it across the yard but some days I can smell it from over 10' away, especially on hot days. That being said the blooms shatter fast in 90-100F heat BUT it bloomed profusely even though this was its first year.

The fruity fragrance it has is what captivated me and cost me a pile of money. Lol!

SCG

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Ruth, I'm very fond of Else Poulsen, a frilly single pink. Sallie Holmes also does well for me. Lou

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Altissimo was very tolerant of heat, alkaline soil, and held its color during the summer.

I have been amazed at the health and vigor of Sally Holmes.

Lynn

• bloomeriffic
    10 years ago

Sally Holmes tops my list.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

Rosa minutifolia 'Pure Bea' (an introduction of the Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont, CA). Rosa minutifolia is native to California and Baja California but is sadly now extinct in the wild in California. Rosa minutifolia is one of the oldest if not actually the oldest rose ever tested (per talk by Walter Lewis, Great Rosarians of the World at the Huntington in 2013). If you want a piece of history, try this rose. But beware it does not tolerate areas with high annual rainfall, and prefers to go dormant in the summer. Needs little to no food in the garden. I've never seen a trace of disease on it. The plant looks more like a fern than a rose, but I love it.

Melissa

• the_morden_man
    10 years ago

I am very partial to single roses, but if I had to pick just one, then Golden Wings is probably my favorite.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Home Run has been great since it was planted here. Night Owl does fairly well. We just got Mutabilis this weekend and I'm sure it will be fabulous. There are many semi-doubles here, but those are the only singles we have I can recall. Lyda Rose will be a new addition soon and I have high hopes for it here.

Jay

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Sally Holmes is a great one - I also love the orange blend colors of Playboy, and adore Chuckles - a bright pink blend that is really eye catching and it is a very hardy rose, and underused in my opinion.
    Judith

• SadieBell
    10 years ago

I love purple rose very much. They are very rare to find and so i like them a lot.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    10 years ago

I love darlows enigma and am looking forward to getting a new one this year!
    Also ballerina was a favorite in my old pa garden , and have you looked into the charlatan ? I so enjoyed that one , and am sorry I didn't have longer with it before we moved.
    A great thing about the singles are all the precious bees they attract and the bees are so enamoured with the blooms they don't bother you! :)

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

This one is a little more than single, but still gives the same primitive look. It is a hybrid musk called Omi Oswald. A Eurodesert import not widely known in the US. I like it quite a bit. Flowers in flushes throughout the year, with breaks in between, so it is not continously in flower. Blooms are a very pale yellow that turn white in the sun. Buds are more orangey/peachy than the pinkish tone that the photo indicates. Sets a nice crop of hips. Very attractive to bees. Has lovely medium green leaves, which have stayed clean here year round in rust and mildew central.;) Has a cute pompom of stamens in the center of the flower that makes it look like a hibiscus. Needs little care--I rarely feed it anything, and it seems perfectly happy in our blast furnace summers on very little water. Yep, a good one to place among drought tolerant plants--I have mine next to salvia greggii 'Teresa'.

Melissa

• buford
    10 years ago

I have a few Eglanterians that are single blooms. My favorite is Lady Penzance:

{{gwi:332472}}

I also love Greenmantle....

{{gwi:332473}}

Both are once bloomers and wild thorny things, but I just love the little flowers.....

I was also not aware of the legend of Greenmantle, Walter Scott and Lord Penzance. it's very interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walter Scott, Lord Penzance and Roses

• catsrose
    10 years ago

More votes for Mrs Oakley Fisher and Sally Holmes

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    10 years ago

I only have one single rose, Mutabilis.
    It was only planted as a bare root recently, but is already flowering profusely and is putting out strong new growth.
    I think it is going to be a great single rose.
    Daisy

• zjw727
    10 years ago

Mutabilis: To me it has no scent, but the colors of the petals are really lovely, and it's a very attractive bush. My young-ish plant withstood two separate weeks of night-time temperatures in the teens with hardly ANY evidence of damage, it didnt even drop its leaves! And...it now has buds!

Mrs. Oakley Fisher is so pretty- that color! it's the kind of thing that the "NO HT" snobs really miss out on. Trivia- it was one of Vita Sackville-West's favorite roses.

Another lovely antique single is Irish Fireflame- the coloring is similar to Mutabilis- apricot/pink- but with a a great scent! I attached a link to a fantastic picture on HMF.

Something else that I think is really pretty is Jacqueline du Pre, which is single/semi-double and has a strong musk scent. The flowers are white, with prominent pink stamens, which makes for a very attractive contrast. this is a picture from last summer, when the petals were past their prime, but you can get the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=21.106289