Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Good Companion for Julia Child

marcindy
10 years ago

Which rose/roses would you consider a good companion to Julia Child? I plan a group of three to five Julia's in the front of my house, but would like to have a similar sized grouping of another colored rose next to her. They will be in front of darker colored brick and next to my front door, so highly visible. What would you consider a good companion for Julia both in growth pattern, vigor and definitely color?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)

• henryinct
    10 years ago

You need something with an equal amount of vigor. Back in Connecticut (z6b) I had Julia with Wild West which is a very vigorous orangy red floribunda. Wild West is probably hard to find but the color might go well with your brick. Another possibility might be Hot Cocoa which is extremely vigorous and looks terrific next to yellow.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

My two Julias grow next to the sidewalk which leads to our front porch. They are on a slope. Behind the Julias are two Ebb Tide roses, while the right side Julia is flanked by a Twilight Zone rose, the left side Julia is flanked by the large wine red Ascot rose. What I like most are the two small yellow Bernstein-Rose plants placed ahead of the Julias, lower on the slope--they look a bit like the offspring of the larger Julias and are wonderful roses. All the rose plantings are set off by numerous perennials, with an emphasis on yellows, purples, and wine colored plants. Here's a peek at Twilight Zone with Julia left of it and next to the sidewalk. I'll show Bernstein-Rose in the next photo. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Finally, here is Ascot to the left of the Julia which is left of the sidewalk. Diane

• marcindy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the idea of Hot Cocoa next to JC. It made me wonder if Cinque de Mayo would work as well. Thank you so much for you input Diana and henryinct. I think I will try both of your suggestions, just not next to each other ...lol

Diana, I think I will shamelessly copy your second picture arrangement, if you don't mind. First, the grouping looks GREAT together, and second, I always wanted to grow Bernstein Rose. I was born not far from where it was raised by Tantau, so it will always have a special meaning for me. This gives me the perfect excuse to grow it and have JC in the picture as well. What is the rose growing on the left of the Bernstein Rose and the Jupiter's Beard in the second picture? I love the look of the whole group, thank you so much!!

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Julia's such a great rose I think she'd go with anything, lol! I have her next to Home Run and they make quite a splash of color in the garden. HR is a little bigger bush but JC holds her own pretty well.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Diane, you have a fantastic sense of color combinations. I wonder if TZ would do the same for Golden Celebration?
    Does TZ fade for you?
    Susan

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Thanks you for you comments, Marcindy and Susan. The rose you ask about in the pic with Bernstein-Rose is the hybrid musk, Ballerina, which I love. Susan, yes, I think Golden Celebration would go well with Twilight Zone--My GC is only a few feet from TZ, which does not fade. TZ is not as tall as I expected it would be after 1 1/2 years. Most roses grow larger here, so I'm curious about that. In the second photo, an Ebb Tide is just showing hear the house (there's another one on the other side of the sidewalk). So the purples are coming and going. I wanted to mention that the photo of Ascot makes it look too magenta. Purples and wines can be difficult to photograph, I think.
    That was interesting about Bernstein-Rose, Marcindy. Did Tantau actually hybridize BR in Indianapolis? The newer Tantau roses are favorites of mine. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here's a better pic of Ascot's true color with Julia. Diane

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

'Julia Child' is the pollen parent of 'Cinco de Mayo', so there may be a good similarity there.

Is that one Ascot plant, Diane? What a healthy rose!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Thanks Diane. Ascot didn't do much for me this first year. But I will be patient.
    Your garden is so pretty.
    Susan

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Thanks, Hoov and Susan. Ascot is just one plant (I have another in a back yard bed). It's grown since the photo and was pushing Julia (a no-no). I'd say it's now about 7 X 6 feet, so Susan, give Ascot another year. You may end up wishing it would shrink! Diane

• marcindy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Diane -Tantau hybridized Bernstein Rose near Trier in Germany. I grew up close to that city before I moved to Indianapolis. Btw, I think he chose the perfect name for the rose, it's color really is amber, Bernstein in German.
    Marc

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Diane is that Ascot on multiflora?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Marc,
    Thanks for the info on Bernstein-Rose and Tantau, one of my favorite rose hybridizers. Have you grown Augusta Luise? I LOVE that rose--so unusual.
    Hoov,
    My Ascots are on multiflora which is sort of a gamble around here with the alkaline soil. I have quite a few Kordes and Tantau roses on multiflora and many of them are almost too vigorous. A few have unwieldy growth habits I don't like (Sisters Fairy Tale), and two are slow, almost nongrowers and bloomers in constant danger of being removed. I don't know what to think about the multiflora rootstock. I would prefer Dr Huey, but often can't obtain the roses I want grafted onto Dr H. Diane

• henryinct
    10 years ago

Julia Child with Wild West

• jill_wingett
    10 years ago

My JCs are planted with Red Ribbon ground cover roses in front, ketchup & Mustard & John Paul roses behind. The red, yellow & white scheme really pops in front of my pale yellow siding.

• lainey2 VA
    10 years ago

I have Julia Child next to Hot Cocoa, which is a lovely color combination; however, the growth habits, in my garden are quite different. Julia Child is a bushy shrub 4X4 with leaves to the ground. Hot Cocoa, on the other hand, is a foot or more taller and much more narrow in proportion to her height. Her lower stems are bare and lanky, more like a hybrid tea. I keep Hot Cocoa in the back yard since her legs are lanky. I wouldn't want her by my front door, but the color is amazing.

• Roselover1348
    10 years ago

i have my julias planted with ebb tide. I love the yellow and purple combo (and it seems many others do as well from the fantastic pictures) and the scent combo is terrific!

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread! I've been working out the same thing! I love my JC but she needs neighbours. I was seriously considering Hot Cocoa, but thanks to Lainey (thanks Lainey) I think I'll scrap that and go with Cinco de Mayo or maybe Dragon's Blood.

Henryinct - I love that combo of JC with Wild West! Gorgeous!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm