Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellfleur

The Fawn: An amazing shrub rose!

shellfleur
16 years ago

I just thought i'd share my very positive experiences regarding The Fawn. I purchased it four years ago as a tiny band from Heirloom and planted it in a half-whiskey barrel container in early fall of that year. It stayed outside during the winter and did fine. It was very vigorous and was spilling out and over the container within one year. It has a lax, somewhat trailing habit. It benefits from "haircuts" between flushes. The Fawn covers itself in beautiful 3" light pink blooms. You can barely see the foliage when it is in full bloom. The blooms are very double and often quartered. I do not detect any scent. That is perhaps, its only fault. I do spray fungicide but even when I am lazy with my spray schedule (letting a few weeks pass), it stays clean. It is well foliaged with shiny, apple green leaves. It would make an excellent ground cover rose, particularly for someone looking for sumptuous double blooms.

I noticed that it did not do as well this year in terms of vigor and bright color of leaves...so I decided to plant it in the ground and free it from its container. It was very difficult to free this rose from the whiskey barrel. Its roots were tangled throughout and in trying to get it out of the container, a large piece actually broke off. We lost all the feeder roots and it had no rootball to speak of. I should never have moved this rose in August but I just decided to do it. I planted it in a nice sunny location in the front of my house.

I am happy (amazed actually) to report that after significant leaf loss and yellowing, the Fawn is now (2 months later) completely foliaged and covered once again in buds ready to bloom soon. I can't believe how well it recovered. This is one tough and beautiful rose.

Here are a coule pictures of The Fawn. I hope you enjoy them. Shelley

{{gwi:332663}}

{{gwi:332664}}

Comments (22)

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Shelley:

That's very fun. What a neat rose. Good post too thank you for the information. I quite enjoyed your pictures. You know I don't own any roses that are small like The Fawn. I checked it out on HMF after reading your post and there are not many photos there. You might consider adding yours to their humble selection of shots of this beauty.

Now where do I have space for a small rose in the garden..,

Kate

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

I really dislike renaming roses. Nurseries shouldn't do that.

The Faun is a great rose, and obviously works in widely different climates. Mine blooms non-stop, it's self-cleaning, and shows no disease at all. I'd be interested in seeing how hardy it is. The Fairy is fairly hardy. You plant looks very spready. Mine is pretty much a pincushion. If it actually gets 6 feet wide, mine will be eating its neighbors.

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Berndoodle:

What is this roses given name? Or are you referring to the spelling?

Thank you.

Kate

• katefisher
    16 years ago

I hate to hog Shelley's thread but if she can humor me with one more question..,may I ask what kind of potting soil/soil in general you use in your half barrels. I have several and would love to use a couple of mine for this purpose. This rose is such a cutie! Even my husband the pink-rose-hater is smitten with this one and has approved the purchase of a couple:)

Thank you. Please forgive my compulsive posting.

Kate

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Wow that is a really pretty rose! Thank you for sharing your experience with it.

It looks like the original name is 'Bossa Nova'.

Here is a link that might be useful: helpmefind on this rose

• michaelg
    16 years ago

'Bossa Nova' wasn't original and it's a terrible name for this rose. Someone would have to look up which fancy name was registered with ARS, whether it's 'My Ouma,' 'Granny,' or 'The Faun.' Or maybe "The Fawn' by mistake.

• john_w
    16 years ago

Actually, 'Fawn' is more appropriate the 'Faun.' Fauns were not just "dieties of the forest, merry good with little horns, hooves and short tails." They were ribald rapists. Satyrs. Goat-people.

There are so many idiotic rose names. I'm starting a rose naming clinic right now. All ARS submissions must be approved by me. I'll assure there will never be another 'Hot Wonder' or 'Butterfly Kisses' ever again.

Here is a link that might be useful: More information about Fauns

• michaelg
    16 years ago

I agree that "Fawn" is better than "Faun" for this rose, but HMF says that Poulsen wanted "Faun." I suggest "The Fang" as another possibility, if you've seen the thorns.

• irish_rose_grower
    16 years ago

What a beauty Shelly. I really love it. I had 2 fairys in whiskey barrels and they thrived, but I got bored with the fairy's blooms. The blooms on yours are so pretty. And I'm so glad it bounced back for you after all it went through in August. Where on LI are you? I'm in Lindenhurst.

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

It's a very charming rose, I like the cascading look.

• kittymoonbeam
    16 years ago

Yup, this is one tough rose. We call ours fawnsie (fonzie) but ours has never jumped over any sharks. This rose gets better every year in my yard.

• shellfleur
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kate, I'm glad you liked this rose so much! Maybe I will add pics to HMF. I didn't use any special type of potting soil for this particular rose. I was such a newbie at the time and I think I mixed in regular dirt from the garden with some cheapo potting soil mix and then some manure. That probably all compacted down resulting in the slight decline I saw in the plant this summer. These days I use a brand that I love, it's called Hampton Estate potting mix...comes in a purple bag. It is pricey but so worth it. My roses love it and thrive in it. I'm not sure if it's just a Long Island brand or if they sell it elsewhere.

I should mention that I have no idea of how big this rose could get. My habit from year two has been to prune it between flushes to keep it from overtaking the container and because it seems to promote health, new growth and more blooms.

Berndoodle and Michaelg, I referred to it as "The Fawn" because that's what Heirloom calls it and they were the source for it. I notice it spelled different ways...I think Roses Unlimited sells it as "The Faun". It's just confusing that so many roses go by so many different names.

John W, lol...I agree. How about the name "Happy Butt"...I think that one takes the cake.

Irish Rose Grower, I am in Selden...about a 30-40 min drive east from Lindenhurst. I always feel like I'm about the only person who grows roses in my area...I hardly see any around here! There is the occasional HT and a couple climbing roses that I pass on my way to work. Thank God for the rose forums!

Thanks Krista, I like the cascading look too. I'm just trying to simplify things by getting rid of so many pots on my patio and planting the roses in the ground with the rest of them. I hope I like The Fawn as well when it's not spilling over a pot.

Hoovb, thanks so much for your nice comments.

Shelley

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

Poulsen bred the rose and can call it what they want. Poulsen's name is actually 'Pouloma.' For marketing, Poulsen can give it a different name in every country, if they choose. All they need to do is refer to the denomination 'Pouloma' + the other market designation. Maybe Poulsen forgot to add The Fawn to their list of names on their website. I'll try to ask them. I can't find where Heirloom mentions 'Pouloma' in association with The Fawn. People buying the rose have no idea that they are getting the rose 'Pouloma.' What if you already owned 'Pouloma' and thought you were getting a new and different rose?

Pouloma a patent rose. You can search patent records all day long and never find a plant patent for The Fawn. You wouldn't know about the patent if someone hadn't figured out that The Fawn is The Faun. That's another reason for roses to be known by their accepted names.

End of rant.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:332662}}

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

Danish Rosegrowers are actually proud of the Rose Company "Poulsen Roses". Glad to see this broad bushy floribunda rose is doing so well for you Shelley. They are well known for producing cluster flowering roses

"From Roses of America, by Stephen Scanniello and Tania Bayard, p. 117:] Floribunda (cluster-flowered) roses are the result of crossing polyanthas and hybrid teas. Much of the original work on floribundas was done by Danish hybridizer D.T. Poulsen, who was attempting to raise roses that would flourish in the harsh winters and short growing seasons of Scandinavia. Poulsen introduced what is considered the first floribunda, 'Rodhatte', in 1912, and his sons Dines and Svend continued his work with this type of rose. According to Bob Bauer "rodhatte" or correct "Rødhætte" has 7400 descendants and counting!

I am not sure Poulsen Roses really made the first floribunda rose "Gruss an Aachen" seems to be the first (1909) even though the parentage of that rose is a HP and a HT???

Poulsen Roses have continued to grow roses that are hardy enough to survive our harsh winters (zone 5), and they more than anyone are responsible for the trend of scentless roses that were flowering machines. They have made many awesome roses and I am impressed by the health and vigor of many of the Poulsen Roses. I am even more pleased that they have begun to put emphasis on roses with scent again!!! Poulsen Roses sell more than 30 million roses world wide each year! They have also begun making incredible clematis.

And yes I do find some of the names quite funny. And I do find it totally confusing and unnecessary to have different names in different countries.

• mike_rivers
    16 years ago

Well, now I'm confused. Maybe ten years ago, I wanted to buy the rose that Heirloom called 'The Fawn' and someone posted on the old rec.garden.roses that it was the same rose as 'The Faun'. So, I ordered 'The Faun' from Sequoia and what I got was a tiny-flowered, almost white polyantha which I eventually discarded and replaced with an authentic 'The Fawn' from Heirloom. Sequoia still has 'The Faun' in their supplemental list and terms it a polyantha from 1990. Maybe Sequoia just sent me a mislabled rose and their 'The Faun' is really the same rose as 'The Fawn' (Pouloma) after all?

• steelrose
    16 years ago

Whatever its' true name, hats off to the rose I got from Heirloom. It's an absolute knockout (no pun) in full bloom which it often is. It's low and wide, perfect for the front of the border and the flowers are lovely.

I love mine.

Colleen

• jim_w_ny
    16 years ago

I've read that Bossa Nova has thin petals and doesn't stand up well to rain and is subject to BS and mildew. Great for warm and dry climates!

• mariannese
    16 years ago

I don't think The Fawn is a good name for a pink rose. I associate the word with the colour "fawn", the greyish brown of a deer. I looked up the word because it is the colour so many women wear in the novels by P.D. James!

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

That's helpful, Mike. Just goes to show that the partial history propounded by the producer isn't nearly so helpful as the real history buried in discarded books. Sequoia's supplemental list shows the date as 1990. So, I read the patent, which says the rose was hybridized in 1983. That lead to the interesting possibility that this rose was introduced much earlier and has been been knocking around in commerce for a while.

The 1990 Combined Rose List has no entry for The Fawn or The Faun, but the 1998 CRL shows "The Faun® (The Fawn) Pol mp Poulsen-AEN 1990" sold by Heirloom, Sequoia, Belle Epoque (The Netherlands) and a couple of other Europeans nurseries. The Faun (ARS AEN) with the synonym The Fawn appears to date back that far. The confusion is all mine.

• sandy808
    16 years ago

I recently purchased The Faun from Roses Unlimited, as Pat Henry said it did extremely well in South carolina. I saw hers in person, and it is stunning. I'm guessing that it will also like Florida. Both states are hot and humid.
    Since Pat knows I'm a no spray kind of person, I am sure she would not have suggested I would like it if it was not disease resistant.

Shelley, yours is beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Sandy

• erasmus_gw
    16 years ago

It's beautiful. John w, I don't see anything wrong with Hot Wonder or Butterfly Kisses, in fact Butterfly Kisses sounds magical to me. Are you really the person who decides what an ok name is for the ARS? I pictured more of a voting group. I hope strange and imaginative names won't be banned forever.
    Linda

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting