Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragoonsers

Need help choosing about 20 roses!

dragoonsers
10 years ago

A bit about my climate:

Coastal area, somewhat tropical. Summers are 85 to 100F highs, and lows of 80 to 85F. Winters are mild, sorta like spring in the colder regions with temps from 50 to 70F. So as can be guessed roses bloom well in the winter months, from November till March (late spring). We have rains in the summer months, roses put out growth then but blooms are tiny and usually go dormant in sep-oct due to high temperatures. Pruning is done late october, and blooms galore november onwards.

I now have space for about 20 to 30 roses. Mind you, they will be in containers- 10 to 15 gallons. I'll start them smaller and work them up, they grow better that way. I do not want perfect blossoms in the summers, but amazing blossoms in the cool winter months!

Criteria:
1. Should do well in a container. In my experience almost everything does well, just the size of the plant remains small but blooms are awesome.

2. Should be able to survive high temperatures. I recently lost quite a few roses (unknown varieties). But now I plan on using shade cloth for high heat months.

3. Must repeat well. Only 5 months of to bloom, and I want atleast two flushes!

4. Fragrance is a must. I just can't stand a rose without fragrance. A rose may look pretty, but I want to stick my nose in it and get lost in the scent. Lol.

5. Open to all options, HTs Floribundas Minis and even climbers (though they remain small but grow like crazy).

6. Disease resistance isn't much of an issue. My neighbours use chemicals like crazy and I hardly have had any rose disease except cane borers, scale and spider mites in the dry months.

Having said that, I do have the following currently:
Double Delight
Scentimental
Century two
Maria Shriver
Sharifa Asma
Wild damask (don't know exact variety- but it is used as rootstock locally)
Fourth of July (7 feet tall in a container!)

I've decided to get the following:
Golden Celebration
Crown Princess Margareta
Abe Darby
Gertrude Jekyll
L.D Braithwite
Claire Austin
The Prince
Nahema
Othello
Dark Lady?

I want to try the following reds:
Mr. Lincoln (cannot resist the fragrance)
Chrysler Imperial
Crimson Glory
Oklahoma
Papa Meilland

Golden Shower climber.

Need suggestions for fragrant hybrid teas and floribundas that would do well. I've seen the above austins growing locally so know they do well. I want to see which red HT will do well. Let me know what you guys think!

Best,

H

Comments (17)

• amberroses
    10 years ago

Do you not get black spot where you are? Your climate sounds similar to mine, but we get a lot of black spot. Here it is very humid, rainy, and hot (90-93F for highs 76-80F lows) in the summer. In the winter it is mild, cool, and dry.

I have and like Rouge Royale, a fragrant old fashioned looking hybrid tea. I can also say the following have done very well for me in my garden:

Princess Alexandra of Kent
    Queen of Sweden
    Jude the Obscure
    Souvenir de Malmaison
    Heritage
    Queen Mary 2
    Grande Dame
    Windermere
    Belinda's Dream
    Don Juan

Happy rose buying!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Why not start with a few and see how they work for you first? Many people find their rose tastes change after they start, and going slower allows for that change of taste without overspending. If you need the decorative effect, plant some annuals in the pots in the meantime. They are fun.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Gertrude Jekyll, although a very fragrant rose, is known for having a rather poor repeat. You might try Souvenir de la Malmaison, which for me (albeit in a different climate), blooms almost all year, even in the heat of summer.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

As I am "gifting" roses and shifting roses (and even shovel pruning roses), I want to echo Hoovb's suggestion to just start with what you have. I overspent, my tastes have changed and the roses I really like I want to add more!
    The ones you are getting are a great start. Grow and observe them.
    Personally I would like to have 3 Oklahoma! Grande Dame is a great bloomer and beautiful old fashioned blooms.
    Susan

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Oh, the excitement of planning new rose gardens! But given the numbers of roses you are ordering for next spring, I hope you have at least two assistants to help you--at least! Or at least a much stronger back and powers of endurance than I do. I'd have to take half of the summer off to recuperate from planting that many roses in just a few weeks time. You are aware, are you not, that that is a BIG planting project you are planning? Really big!

But good luck, regardless. : )

Kate

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

For an extremely fragrant dark, dark red, my first choice would be Frances Dubreuil/Barcelona. The bush is rounded and full and the fragrance can't be beat. I do love Don Juan, Mr. Lincoln, and Oklahoma but I probably wouldn't grow them in a pot because they are tall and upright. Then again, I wouldn't grow SDLM in a pot either because mine is almost 6ft across. But then, you didn't say the size of your pot.

For extremely fragrant pale roses, I'd go for Tranquility or Titanic. These stay fairly small and I can't keep my nose out of them. I grow Sharifa Asma, but it doesn't repeat as well for me as these others do. Lou

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I think I would start with fewer roses as others have suggested. You also may find that some of your choices become too large or have growth habits not suitable for containers. I think Jude the Obscure could get way too big for a pot, at least it would here. Tamora would be a good size for a pot--it's a lovely peach/apricot color and is a good bloomer. Golden Celebration could easily get too large, but it is a great rose. The Prince stays smaller and has a nice shape, but I don't think it will bloom as well as Munstead Wood, in my opinion--but they're both nice roses. I realize that every environment is different, so I'm only offering suggestions to think about. Let us see how all this turns out with some photos in the future. Have fun choosing-that's the good part. Diane

• dragoonsers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are actually right about thinking over and starting small. Good suggestions all around. One tiny thing I hate about roses, actually two-

There are so many!
    And you can't have em all! Lol

I'm trying to sort throught, will reduce the number of plants. Been going over GW forums everyday, still trying. I'm really leaning towards the austins.

Thank you so much Dianne, Lou, Kate, Susan, Ingrid and Amber! Hope I didn't miss anyone out.

H

• nastarana
    10 years ago

Are you definitely committed to only growing modern roses?

Because, you could have, teas, Noisettes, at least the earlier, bushy ones, the smaller Bourbons, polyanthas, and some some of the early HTs.

You might like to consider

Autumn, everblooming HT with the fantastic color changes

Princess de Nassau, the total garden package, beatifull, low growing bush with lovely foliage, as well a pretty flowers.

If you want large flowers, there is the SDLM family. I am partial to Mme. Cornilessen, but all are stunning.

And. the exquisite Lacharme Bourbon Noisettes are small enough for pot growing. Boule de Neige and Coquette des Blanches are still available, and I think Roses Unlimited might have Louise d'Arzens.

Geschwind's Marie Dermar is said to be a seedling of Louiae d'Arzens. Mine was too tender for our winter, alas, but was completely free of BS.

• coconutty
    10 years ago

i agree with many of these folks! I, like you, went crazy buying tons of roses; and I'm also giving away many and scaling back.
    The ones I would NEVER get rid of are the old ones- the more modern roses just don't compare. (I absolutely agree that you should throw in noisettes and teas. Amazing. You could even grow Marachel Niel in your climate!)
    So if I had to recommend a few-
    B R Cant. (Blooms always. Big but if you have any space, it's well used here)
    Clotilde Soupert (blooms like crazy).
    Allister stella Gray (but might be too big for you?)
    For smaller- Go with Borderer. Shes AWESOME.
    Graham Thomas is lovely too.
    for a good red in a pot, I like my Astrid Grafin Von Hardenberg. More hybrid tea-ish than i usually like, but the flowers are sturdy and HUGE.
    Good luck & let us know how it turns out! :)

• henryinct
    10 years ago

Here in Pasadena which sounds similar to where you are roses need to withstand heat and not be susceptible to mildew. Nothing else really matters it seems. I'm not familiar with how all those roses do here but Oklahoma does not stand up to the heat. Chrysler does better and is IMO a better rose anyway.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

The McCartney Rose is a very tough and fragrant deep pink. I have heard Beverly, a pink, is very fragrant and one I want to try. I am bad about buying too many roses - just went to Chamblees today and came home with a truckload of roses that I didn't "need" - but there is a fine line between need and want. I seem to constantly confuse the two. Have fun!
    Judith

• henryinct
    10 years ago

McCartney is one of the absolute worst for mildew here in SoCal. Back in CT it was one of the best and most fragrant bloomers I had. It was very vigorous and almost immune to BS.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I grew rose's in Central and S.E. Fl. for over 30 yrs. before moving up to the N.E. Ga. mountains 5 yrs ago. I went through a LOT of roses in Fl. These are the one's that always did great for me during the cool weather. Mr Lincoln, Vet. Honor, Granada, Louise Estes, Royal Amethyst, Secret, Belinda's Dream, almost all the Austin's. At least 1/2 of them (Austin's) I didn't like the growth habit of. I've added a few of the newer Austin's since I've been up in God's country. Lady Emma Hamilton, Munstead Wood and Princess Alexandra of Kent are must trys. Almost all the repeat bloom OGR's did great for me. The best growing and smelling Florabunda was Angel Face. 95% of the mini's and miniflora's grew great for me.

• dragoonsers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry guys I've been away. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll go through each and every rose and then get back! been a wee bit busy!

• rojarrose
    10 years ago

wow ..Thank you friends .Its a nice information

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

For me Firefighter and Velvet Fragrance are doing better than Mr. Lincoln. Papa M is wonderful but has mildew problems. I have a dry warm summer which is so much different than a rainy warm summer.

I can suggest
    Tiffany
    Memorial Day
    Pink Peace
    Eternal Flame
    Radox Bouquet
    Jardins Bagatelle
    Yves Piaget
    Firefighter
    Pope John Paul II
    Perfume Delight

These are the ones that bloom well here and have beautiful perfume. There are others that have more flowers but no perfume and those that have beautiful perfume but less flowers. The roses on my list all have strong perfume and bloom even through summer when the old flowers are kept picked off. I don't know how they would like heat and humidity but if you have humid air, I'm sure your roses smell very good.

This post was edited by kittymoonbeam on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 16:44

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida