Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

So they actually have genetically created a blue rose?

jeffcat
14 years ago

I just saw this report that Suntory Roses in Japan has created the first genetically blue rose by taking the blue pigment from pansies. While quite a breakthrough, it doesn't appear very blue still.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue rose

Comments (14)

• roseman
    14 years ago

And so what? I can't imagine anyone wanting one.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

How interesting. With one break-through, more are sure to follow, and roses may get bluer over time. I'm sitting here trying to imagine a future rose in delphinium blue. Yowsers!

The Japanese rose may not appear that blue, but it does have a pleasant lavenderish color with a hint of blue--if my monitor isn't distorting the color in any way.

I think someone on this forum should buy this rose and report back to us on it--and post pics. I'd love to learn more about it.

Kate

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

So, they actually have not. Anntn6b posted on thie a couple of days ago. It is lavender, I know someone who has seen it in person.

• peachymomo
    14 years ago

Why are blue roses so sought after? Is it just because of the challenge?

I have to admit that I love blue flowers but the color doesn't really appeal to me on roses. I prefer roses in warm colors - yellow being my absolute favorite. Lavender roses have wonderful fragrance but the color just doesn't draw me like it does on lilacs, clematis, and other flowers with a natural propensity to blue and purple.

Anybody else feel the same?

• jerijen
    14 years ago

I love a touch of blue in a garden. And I love rich, deep reds with a blueish tone. But an artificually-created "blue" rose? Naaaahhh . . . I don't think so.

Actually, this same general "announcement" comes up every couple of years, and it's always accompanied by an "iffy" Photoshopped image of a rose that's no more blue than 'Angel Face,' and far LESS blue than several Old Garden Roses I can think of.

Even if I really did want a "blue" rose, I'd want it first to be an attractive bloom, on a vigorous plant, with disease-resistant foliage, good vigor, and good repeat bloom. And somehow, I doubt those are Suntory's first priority.

Jeri

• anntn6b
    14 years ago

The first time I saw the deep blue Lobelias that are ground covers in the UK, I knew what I had been missing. Then I saw some of the giant really blue Delphiniums...same feeling.
    So these roses...not so much

• catsrose
    14 years ago

Interesting step. But it still isn't blue to me. The scientist in me wants them to keep trying; the romantic in me hopes they never succeed.

• mendocino_rose
    14 years ago

If they produced a rose as blue as a delphinium I would buy it.

• bethnorcal9
    14 years ago

I personally would love to see a "true blue" rose. But I doubt we will ever see one, created or otherwise. That rose looks less blue than some of my lavender roses. Ya can't get much bluer than RHAPSODY IN BLUE. Altho, from the pics I've seen of BLUE FOR YOU, looks like it might be even bluer. I'll be getting that one from Cliff soon, and can't wait to see what it looks like in person.

• amandahugg
    14 years ago

Old news here folks. Yes, they genetically modified a rose with a blue gene...and it ain't blue. It's just another lavender. So twenty years plus work and a bijillion dollars later, mother nature still has her way. I kinda like that.

• jeffcat
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would think somebody really trying to go out on a blue rose endeavor could create it. I don't think the pigmentation is the main problem, but the rose actually accepting the pigment and transducing it into a "blue" color through the petals. I will say that this rose is more of a lavendar/purplish color even with a blue dye, but it does appear very pretty in their display photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Rose Home

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

about every year for the past ten years them folks have been showing there idea of a " closest to blue " rose

it's a easy as the laws of motion they have yet to break
    action... reaction = to put something in.... you have to take something out
    the rose don't want what ever there putting in and will always reject it
    lets all count as high as we can now.......... ready
    How many times have you gotten an exact matching color of a rose when compared to its webb site pic ?
    All done......... that was fast
    be the good day

• RosariumRob
    14 years ago

I think it is remarkable that Suntory is allowing such enormous investments to advance rose science when they still only have the promise of true blue and no guarantee of return on their investment. Some people don't seem to realize that these scientists put just as much effort, determination and passion into their work as any classical hybridizer. Even if their goal is not what we value highest in our roses, they should be respected for their work.

Oh, and don't tell me you don't want one. Did you say the same thing when orange roses were released? You know you WILL buy one as soon as those evil enablers start posting gorgeous pictures of blue roses on GW! (If they ever get released... :-)

Rob

• ramblinrosez7b
    14 years ago

There is such a color called "blue violet" so maybe that is what they refer this to. But there will never be an actual blue rose created because there is not a real "actual" green rose out there.