Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_rivers_gw

Sweet Vigorosa

mike_rivers
9 years ago

Anyone grow Sweet Vigorosa? I'm especially interested in its frequency of bloom and whether it's a hot pink ( what I call a yellowish pink) or a cool pink (a bluish pink). I want a bluish pink. The Weeks Rose site calls it a blue-pink but photos at other sites have a decided yellow tint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weeks Roses

Comments (7)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

All of the pictures on HMF show blooms of a definite bluish pink.

Jackie

• buford
    9 years ago

I would call it hot pink, but not a lot of yellow in it. In fact, when it was blooming in my yard, and the county put up some of that fluorescent pink tape to mark off the boundary of my yard, it matched. Unfortunately it was one of the ones that I had to dig up and it does not look that good in the pot. It's own root so I hope it comes back. I have a picture somewhere, I'll try to find it. The rebloom was ok, but I had it in the far corner of my yard where it got no extra watering. I may have done better with regular watering.

• buford
    9 years ago

Mike, I knew I had take a picture of this rose recently and I found it (while looking for a different picture, of course). Here it is:

{{gwi:332959}}

The other name from this rose is Neon, and it lives up to that name.

• mike_rivers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Buford and Jackie. I think the local nurseries here are starting to carry more Kordes roses and I might just wait until Spring and see if they'll have Sweet Vigorosa.

• Kez (Z7 OK)
    8 years ago

Mike, i notice your post is from last fall, so you may have already decided whether to purchase a 'sweet vigorosa' by now, but in case it's still useful info for you, I planted 'sweet vigorosa' early last summer and it bloomed its head off all summer until frost for me here in Oklahoma zone 7. The flowers are definitely in the bluish-pink category and buford's comment about it matching the fluorescent tape and living up to its 'neon' description is spot-on. It really pops in the garden. I planted it next to some pink Drift roses and 'sweet vigorosa's' habit is not nearly as ground hugging as the drifts. It's also quite taller than the drifts. Some of the canes grow straight up (about 30 in) but it also has long arching canes that protrude from its center. These arching flower-covered canes are quite long (3 ft maybe?) and look gorgeous, although every time it rains they get beat down to the ground and look pretty weathered. But they raise back up and look as good as ever when they dry off. I have read that vigorosa can be trimmed to keep it the size you want. I think I may have to do that because I planted it next to my baptisia and some of the arching canes have extended into the baptisias's space already. I think I spaced it close to 3 ft from the baptisia at initial planting. On the other hand, it makes a really pretty picture with the neon pink roses weaving through the baptisia that has now finished blooming. I would take a picture of it but it won't quit raining! It has rained so much here that my Drift roses got powdery mildew (and they're supposed to be resistant to everything). The vigorosa, however, didn' get a trace of it (although it got a little bit of black spot at the end of summer last year, but nothing too bad. Interestingly, the drifts weren't affected at all with it.). Anyway, overall, 'sweet vigorosa' has been a real winner for me. It's really a gorgeous plant.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

Unfortunately my Neon did not make it. I saw them in Lowes, but the flowers did not look the same. I may try to get it own root.

• Kez (Z7 OK)
    8 years ago

Buford, what a shame. From the picture you posted, mine looks very similar to yours. Your comment about seeing one at Lowes that didn't look the same explains why i've seen a few pics of 'sweet vigorosa' on the internet that looked different than mine - same color maybe but not nearly as full of a flower as mine has.