Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

tiny brown or brown/red bugs

andreark
10 years ago

MY roses have some very tiny bug that are brown or brown/red and look like aphids. They are always around a new bud or new growth. What are they

Comments (8)

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just read something on the web about aphids changing color. It showed photos of aphids that were red or red/brown. I think this could be the answer.

What do ya'll think?

andrea

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Yes, various aphid species can be green, peach, russet, or black. Aphid shucks and mummies are white.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What about the Daddies?

sorry,

Thanks, andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Many aphids can take on the color of the sap they suck. Different species can also be different colors. You'll often find green ones on green shoots and reddish ones on reddish shoots. If they look like aphids and you find them where you expect to find aphids, they most likely are. Kim

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kim. This is exactly what I found. A lot of my babies have very red new growth. And that's where I found them....Good thing I had my glasses on! I usually find them when I'm showering my roses in the morning. This time I saw them later in the day and had to squish them with my fingers. Yuck, Aphid guts.

I see you haven't had any luck yet finding Dottie Louise.
    I am good at web searching, (part of my job) and if I can be of help, I would be pleased to.

Well, I have to tell you about this..... The first David Austin I ordered from Texas was absolutely perfect. It has grown like a weed and is going to be very beautiful.
    I ordered another that I couldn't get through Regans, and it arrived in awful shape. It was stuffed into the (very long) box and had 5 spaghetti like canes that were from 3.5 ft to 5 ft long. (I measured) The rose must have been in the tiny pot for a very long time. It was also too tall to travel for that length of time (4 days) with no water. The ends of the canes were dried crispy and 2 canes didn't even weather the journey.

No more ordering online. I will have to look at the rose before I buy it. I got Wm Shakespeare from Regans, very much past the season for buying container roses, and I thought THAT ONE was sickly. Nothing like this one.

Let me know if I can help you search for your rose. I am very thankful for all the help you have been for me.

andrea

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thank you, Andrea. If you have time and would like to help in the "hunt", I would be delighted for any help finding Dottie Louise. With dwindling room and ever increasing water rates, if I'm going to have a smaller garden, I would much prefer dedicating space and all other resources to roses I have created. This one was named to honor a lovely friend who is no longer with us. Finding "her", bringing her home and keeping her growing feels as if I'm doing my part to help give her a piece of immortality. She, and the rose, were lovely. I miss both of them. Thank you! Kim

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim,

I will be glad to be on the 'hunt' for you.

Have a lovely weekend,

me

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thank you. I hope yours is lovely, too. Kim